“A new hotel”

Ranked #2 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Killingly, Connecticut
“A new hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My daughter & I stayed at The Marker, which had recently opened. We parked our car in the "set down" area in front of the hotel & she went in to register. The Concierge walked past her to where I was sitting & told me I had to move the car - I don't know how he didn't see that we were checking in. We could not find the car park after driving around the block & decided to use valet parking. We walked across the street to Ely's restaurant for drinks & a half hour later the car was still sitting there; it eventually was parked. When we returned at 11:10 pm, we wanted to go up to the rooftop area but were told it had just closed. We made a point of getting back to the hotel early enough the next day so we could go to the rooftop lounge area. The Concierge at the elevator to the roof at first told us that there already were 120 people there & that we would have to wait. Once we showed him our room key, we were immediately able to go up. The view from the roof was amazing, service was good & it was a nice evening to look out over the city. During that night, our room became extremely hot & it seemed like the air conditioning was not working. Staff brought us a fan, which helped cool the room down. When we were checking out, we were not charged for the valet parking because of the AC malfunction. Our big room had a view of the playground below us & some of the city, and the dark curtains kept the early sunlight out. Overall, the hotel is quite nice & in a good area, staff were very helpful, the beds were comfy.

Room Tip: Show your room key for easier access to the rooftop lounge.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Ontheroad A,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Marker Hotel on Tripadvisor.

First of all let me apologise about the confusion with the Valet Car Park, we have reviewed our system as for this not to happen again to our future guests but I am happy to know that after that you truly enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to enjoy the view and maybe a drink or two on the Rooftop Bar.

I look forward to welcoming you again

Kind Regards

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This hotel is a little off the beaten track down in Grand Canal Dock. However, even though it is a bit of a schlep from the Marker to the City Centre, I intend to stay here again. The rooms are modern in style with large and comfortable beds. However, the real diamonds in the crown are the bathrooms, which are both high-tech and palatial in style. The deep bath is designed for maximum relaxation. There is also a shower made in heaven.

I had an enjoyable meal in the restaurant on the first night of my stay. And the breakfasts, though pricy, are of the highest calibre,.Often in life it's worth spending a little more to secure perfection. But you do not necessarily have to take out a bank loan to stay here. The hotel often offers double deluxe rooms on its website at the competitive price of Euro 149 a night.

Sadly, I did not get a chance to check out the rooftop bar or the swimming pool during my visit to the Marker. Next time around, however, both venues will be firmly on my agenda.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Insightful,

Thank you for your kind review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found the rooms to your liking and specially the bathrooms and like you mentioned, they are designed with the highest standards of luxury and comfort in mind.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Marker Hotel and hopefully next time you will get the opportunity to enjoy the Rooftop Bar and the Spa & Wellness Centre.

Warm regards

Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

An amazing place to stay, a lastminute trip to Dublin, and whilst looking for a hotel The Marker came up, great location near the O2 and the docks area.

From the doorstaff to reception all the staff were wonderfully helpful, our room was absolutely superb, this hotel is so new! After being initially disappointed about not being able to get space on the roof, the staff made sure after our night out, that they would save us a place. The Rooftop is a must place to visit especially in the current sunshine and a great place to end or start a night and residents get priority.

Room Tip: you can quite easily walk to the O2 from here.. and head in to the heart of Dublin. Ballsbridge furt...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear L P

Thank you for taking the time to review The Marker Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that our staff made a good impression on you and your stay and that they also looked after you to make your night out a special one.

I do hope we get the opportunity to see you very soon.

Warm Regards

Bunratty, Ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I chose The Marker Hotel to treat my Wife to a weekend break in Dublin for her Birthday. We both travel regularly on business, and have stayed in a number of four and five star hotels in both New York and London, as well as other destinations, and it is my absolute pleasure to say that the Marker is up there with the best of them – I have never before experienced such wonderful customer service in any hotel in Dublin, or Ireland for that matter, and feel that the Marker is the first hotel to finally bring true world class service to our doorstep. On our arrival at the Marker, and as soon as we opened the doors of our car, we were warmly greeted by concierge, who took our bags, escorted us to reception and introduced us to our receptionist, while also taking our car keys to park our car – Finally a hotel that offers valet parking! The check in process itself was executed very efficiently by a very pleasant, helpful and genuinely friendly receptionist who wished my Wife a very warm Happy Birthday, assuring her that the entire team at the Marker will be doing everything they can to make our stay a special one.

The Bedroom itself was beautiful – contemporary, modern and luxurious, and equipped with everything one could wish for, from a cafetierè with ground coffee beans to multi-region electrical sockets/iphone docks. On first entering our room, we noticed that the Marker’s Assistant Front Office Manager had left a hand-written birthday wish to my wife, from “all the team at The Marker”, which was accompanied by some very delicious hand made chocolates.

Having sampled the Rooftop Bar at the Marker, I can certainly say that it is a wonderful place to enjoy a cocktail or two in the summer sunshine. Again, the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, which made the experience what it was - thoroughly enjoyable!

On return to our room late in the evening, we found that our bed had been turned down, slippers had been positioned at each side of our bed, and chocolates had been placed on our pillows – Nice touch!

The breakfast buffet offers a full choice of cooked items, which includes Portabello Mushrooms, homemade potato cakes, sausage, bacon, egg, tomato, pudding – All of which were of very good quality and were properly cooked, which is a rare thing. Also on offer is an extensive selection of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, and organic yogurts, not including the separate breakfast menu that lists breakfast specialties such as 8oz. steak with eggs, and eggs benedict, which we had. The hollandaise sauce was exactly as it should be, and the eggs were poached to perfection – Delicious!

We spent two hours in the Marker Spa, which boasts a pool, steamroom, sauna, jacuzzi, and treatment/relaxation rooms. The entire experience was wonderfully relaxing – If we had had the time, we would have stayed for the day! Everything from the freshly squeezed orange juice and choice of herbal teas available, to the luxurious showering facilities with complementary high quality gels and creams, made it a very pleasurable Sunday mornings pampering indeed. After my Wife’s massage, we went and chilled out in the relaxation rooms, which are three rooms, side-by-side and sectioned off completely from the rest of the leisure centre to ensure complete silence within, and offer the guest the choice of relaxing on either Fatboy beanbags, Cacoon Cocoons, or full length loungers. Difficult to describe how peaceful this area is, you have got to experience it to appreciate it! While resting in this area, my Wife’s masseuse arrived in and presented her with a delicious post-massage vitamin drink with a homemade strawberry sorbet, and wished her a Happy Birthday!

I really do feel that each and every member of staff that we encountered during our stay at The Marker took their role as customer service representatives personally, and did indeed strive to make our stay absolutely perfect – Which they certainly achieved. For example, never before had I rang reception from my room at twelve at night and had the night porter apologize on answering, using my name, for his delay in answering the telephone, which had been ringing all of 10 seconds!

The Management of this hotel have clearly brought many customer services ideas home from the US and applied them to the running of The Marker, which certainly shows. Such well-trained staff, coupled with such a high standard of customer care is what makes this Hotel so different. Yes, it’s architectural design, and contemporary furnishings are beautiful, but it is the warm, friendly, professional staff at The Marker that puts this place at the leading edge of Dublin Hotels.

To Management and Staff at The Marker, and particularly to Joanne in reservations for organizing everything for us, and to Ania at Reception for being such a pleasure to deal with – Thank you for a wonderful stay – We will certainly be back soon!!

Dear JonQ01,

Thank you very much for your lovely and detailed review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had such a pleasant stay with us and that our service exceeded your expectations and specially that we made your Wife’s birthday a special one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Marker Hotel very soon

Warm Regards

banbridge
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed here for one night before a concert in the O2.
Hotel only opened in June 2013 but I hope they keep it up, great staff, valet parking (chargeable)
the roof top bar in the current heat wave was brilliant and guests get priority over non guests so show your room card when going up.
Room - we had a corner suite overlooking the canal very nice view, room well appointed with flat screen TV, I phone type charging dock, free WiFi everywhere, large bed, hand made treats and water, personnel letter and greeting wrote in chocolate with the treats, turn down service with more chocs. great bathroom and large shower.

The hotel also has a pool and all the spa stuff but we had no time to use it.
Did not eat in the restaurant as they do not serve food on Sunday evenings but its only €5.00 to Dublin centre.

Buffet breakfast was one of the best we have had.
We felt that nothing was too much trouble for the staff everyone was friendly and it was nice to hear the true Dub accent again in a hotel.

Dear PaulBanBridge,

Thank you very much for reviewing The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found our rooms to be comfortable and well-appointed and also got the opportunity to enjoy the Rooftop Bar specially with this fabulous weather that we have been experiencing lately.

Our Executive Chef, Gareth Mullins is delighted to know that you consider our breakfast one of the best that you ever had.

The entire Team & myself at The Marker Hotel are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Paradise Island, New Providence Island
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Visited this bar, pre show at the Point. Service was immediately excellent. Welcomed, seated and drinks in no time at all.
Menu was a bit limited but full of interesting items. All included bread, however was brought gluten free bread on request. The fresh bread was great and interesting, as usual. Its a pity the same cant be said for the gluten free items.
Food was a bit slow on delivery particularly on a 'pre show' schedule, but it was good and tasty. We had the platter of meats. Good variety and plenty for two.
On conclusion we took a quick view of the highly recommended Rooftop Bar which is now open Mondays and Tuesday as well and it definitely warrants a second visit. What a great idea and brave decision in typically rainy Ireland. Lets hope they have some arrangement for the winter as it would be a shame to close in the chillier seasons. Wraps, shawls and blankets, all Irish products would be good! Also, serving hot drinks. Not just tea and coffees, but toddies and the like. The views were spectacular on a hot summer evening and will be too on a crisp winter afternoon.
Go, check it out.

Dear TravelGreen2010,

Thank you for your lovely review about our Rooftop Bar on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you got the opportunity to experience both the Marker Bar and the Rooftop Bar.

You would be interested to know that we have made some changes and additions to our Bar Food menu in the last couple of weeks.

And Yes, we are prepared for the typical Irish rainy days and we will be providing our guest with Blankets if they do require so.

I look forward to welcoming you back again at The Marker Hotel.

Warm regards

Ards
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Remember the 80's? Canary Wharf? Yuppies anyone? Welcome to Grand Canal, Dublin. Welcome to the Marker Hotel, where your every wish is ignored, from having the temerity to ask for a decent room (and getting a dark room with a view - of a wall), to politely declining 'assistance' with our one case - and being basically frogmarched to the lifts...

For your information, I am reasonably intelligent and know how a television works and don't need a lecture on what a room is...

Nor do I need to be asked to wait to check for availability for a table to sit on your roof terrace to be fleeced for a drink...did we not fit the de rigeur?

I looked up from outside an saw one head sitting there, hardly crammed. Rumbled.

Your 5 star rating is really being 'economical' with the truth. It's not. It's basically an upmarket Premier Inn. It's also pretentious and robotic. Staff recite the script by rote, even repeating "welcome to the Marker" and apologising for doing so...

I understand it's a new hotel, these and other snags are teething issues, however the genuine, giving a damn authenticity is not fake-able... but then again, who cares when there's another couple of hundred euro to be had eh?

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank TheMayorofNantes
TheMarker H, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2016
Dear TheMayorofNantes,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am really sorry to heard that you encountered some issues during your stay and rest assured that we have followed up on all your points to avoid this situation arising again.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards