“The best Hotel I have stayed in!”
Review of The Marker Hotel

The Marker Hotel
Ranked #2 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Galway, Ireland
“The best Hotel I have stayed in!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed at the hotel in the summer, and when they say 5 star they mean 5 star. This hotel is purpose built. The staff, the rooms, and the hotel in general is top class, I cant fault it.

We arrived in may and availed of the valet parking, on entering the Hotel we were met by a staff member at the entrance who was a chatty Dub guy (which was a nice touch nice to see a local on the door) and very pleasant and really gave a feel good factor right from the off.

The staff inside are definitely handpicked, they are multinational, well dressed, quietly spoken, courteous and helpful. If you are wandering around reception or the bar and appear confused a staff member usually appears to check if you are ok, all the staff are almost too nice in fact :)

The rooms are fantastic with air-con hdtv, minibar etc.You get a king size double bed and a large bathroom with a big shower and separate bathtub. All the decor (like the hotel in general) is contemporary and slick.

The leisure center is fantastic as well. We didn't get to the rooftop bar, its supposed to be great. We didn't eat there as we had a booking somewhere else but the menu looked tempting.

On leaving our car was brought up, and our bags brought out and put into the car, wer were given 2 bottles of water and a box of chocolates by the porter.

In conclusion, if you want to bring a loved one for a surpise break, or a stopover before a honeymoon (its not cheap though but worth it) and If you want to feel like you are in a Bond movie then I suggest you stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is good.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John J
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Mike S,

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

As you might know, The Marker only opened in April so you were probably some of our first guests and I am delighted to know you enjoyed your stay.

When you come back to stay with us you will see all the different changes that we have brought starting with The Rooftop Lounge with its spectacular views and even more amazing drinks and food!.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I celebrated my birthday in this hotel and received a free upgrade to a deluxe king room. The bed was huge and really comfy. The room was a decent size and modern as was the hotel. I went down to the pool area which was also excellent to come back to my room to a cake with a happy birthday note. Before you go to bed staff come in and give you the breakfast menu with a little box of choccies. The breakfast was fantastic and this hotel really cannot do enough for you i am already planning 2 more trips back to dublin simply to visit this hotel.

Room Tip: deluxe room was lovely overlooking the canal
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katrin19882013
Dear katrin19882013,

Thank you for your lovely review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that my team helped to celebrate your Birthday. We always aim to make every guests stay that little more special.

On behalf of my Team and I, we thank you again for your comments and we cant wait to welcoming you back in 2014!

Cork - Ireland
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've wanted to stay in this hotel as I'd heard good things about it and its always nice to try a brand new modern hotel. Only got to stay one night (Sat night). This is a very good hotel. Many, many positives but there is room for improvement to warrant the prices and the 5 star rating.

Positives: very modern, interesting architectural design, comfortable and clean new hotel in the Dublin dockland area. If you are looking to be a little out of the city centre but don’t mind a 25min walk to Grafton St, or you are OK using taxi's/LUAS, then this is a lovely location. Very safe. Brand new area right beside the Bord Gais Energy Theatre.
1. Room was pretty large - had a deluxe king room. Very comfortable bed. Nice touches incl Ipod charger, tea/coffee/cookies, free bottled water. Lots of in-room amenities incl use of umbrella for those wet days! Room was very quiet and had a lovely view of the Grand Canal and the Bord Gais Energy Theater & plaza. Very well insulated room - no noise from any direction.
2. Air con and very good in-room entertainment system.
3.Bathroom had separate shower and tub. Very good bath products. Full marble bathroom with plenty of room. I believe these is supposed to be under floor heating but it wasn’t working in my room (508).
4.Valet parking is available and pre-booking is essential because it’s a busy area.
5. Pool and hot rub & steam room, sauna. Really a big + for the hotel. Lovely and relaxing and a high-class product. I really enjoyed it. Not many hotels have this type of facility in the city centre.
6. Nice touches like olives & nuts with your cocktails. Bottled water left in the car by the valet.
7. Staff friendly and attentive in general and all very helpful.
8. I believe the roof-top bar is amazing. Didn’t get to sample it as it was terrible weather.

Room for improvement: I've stayed in quite a few 5* hotels around the world and there has to be something extra special to warrant a 5* rating. The Marker didn’t really hit the spot. It wasn’t any one major thing, just a series of little quirks that make it 4* rather than the 5* you are paying for.
1. 50euro hold added to credit card for extras but not mentioned at check-in until I queried it.
2. Offered a free Sunday newspaper but it was never delivered.
3. Wasn’t shown where the lifts were at check-in. No help with luggage. Seemed to be selective offering of help with bags. People next to me were offered help but we weren’t.
4. Spent quite a bit of money on drinks in the bar that evening. Cocktails are expensive but very, very good - however, no late service in the bar at weekends i.e. they turned up the air chiller at 12.30am to make it uncomfortable to stay in the bar area. People put on their coats but in the end over about 30mins people left. It was way too cold and really unnecessary. I felt they wanted to clear the area. I asked for chiller to be turned off but the staff member just nodded but did nothing.
5. Breakfast was nothing special at all. Breakfast location is nice. Service was fast. Selection was poor I felt for a 5*. Doesn’t compare to e.g. Ritz-Carlton, Westbury, Merrion. Full Irish was limited in selection no beans, only watery scrambled eggs. Big issue is that the hot food was luke warm and the plates cold also. Toast was, well, not toast. It had been in the toaster all of 10 seconds I'd say. Limited breads and pastries. So not really up to the appropriate standard.
6. Floor area around pool/hot-tub was very wet and slippery. A slip hazard I think.
7. I didn’t see a customer survey card and when I said my stay was adequate at check-out, I wasn’t asked to elaborate - is adequate a great response?

So in summary - this is a very good hotel. It has a lot going for it and is a very spectacular building, however, it’s the small niggly things that make you less impressed with the stay. They have to sort the breakfast for a start. This has the potential to be a great hotel and is a welcome addition to the Dublin scene - just needs to listen to reviews like mine, seek our opinion and implement a few changes to make this a true 5 star experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear i-love-ayia-napa,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and let me assure you that we have taken note of all the very valuable feedback that you provided us.

I am happy to announce that we will be doing some changes and upgrades throughout the hotel to make every guest’s experience a perfect one.

I do hope you give us the opportunity next year to show you the changes that we will be implementing and I am positive we will become one of your favourite hotels in Dublin!.

I thank you again for your comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Visited the hotel for dinner only so unable to comment on the hotel rooms etc.

Outstanding service at the brasserie and roof top bar however let down by the poor quality of food!

Such a shame as front of house staff are absolutely astounding!!

Stayed December 2013
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Didi t,

Thank you for your recent review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I have taken the liberty to sent you a private message to find out more from you about your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Lovely hotel, very modern and beautifully designed. Car parking extortionate though and given the price of hotel it really is nit acceptable to charge 30 for an overnight given I arrived each night after 1900 and left at 0700 each day. Apart from that hotel is lovely and stylishly upmarket

Room Tip: Just watch out for parking charges and access to hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Attymasser.

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us but I am concerned to read that you weren’t informed about the car park situation.

We do offer a valet car park service that must be pre booked in advance and offer a special overnight rate of 20 euros.

Please do feel free to contact me directly the next time you want to visit us and I will make sure that we look after you.

lili.torres@themarker.ie
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel was not what I expected. I felt like I was staying in an Ibis or Mercure....except with heated bathroom floors.

The lighting in the bathroom is terrible. As a female traveler it was impossible to put on my makeup! I had to use a mirror by the window for lighting. There are NO plugs for a hairdryer or flat iron/curling iron. The nearest plug is in the hall way. I chose to unplug the lamp and dry my hair next to the window. Female travelers should avoid this place unless you are totally into the natural look... including air dried hair.

We were under the impression were going to have a canal view...instead we had a view of the square view and could see a small corner of the canal. The heat in the room was impossible to control. Any other setting besides high heat blew out cold air. I contacted the front desk several times even in the middle of the night but the issue was never resolved.

The breakfast was mediocre. Not what I expected from a "posh" hotel. The Irish bacon and apples were great but not worth the outrageous price they were charging, If you wanted something more than a "continental" breakfast there was an additional charge for items.

The location is not the greatest but the area is quiet. It is difficult to find the hotel and not all of the taxi drivers are familiar with the hotel.

The bathroom grout looked dirty. My first impression was to shower with my flip flops on. I took a look at the rest of the grout and realized it had not been sealed properly. Corners were cut during the construction. We had a family member staying in the same hotel and they had a completely different thermostat.

The pillows were as hard as rocks. No fluffy pillows here!

As a guest there is no real priority for spa treatments. I had planned to relax and pamper myself but when I called for appointments they were at times that were not convenient.

l felt let down after my five day stay. I was expecting a great modern hotel with glamour...instead I felt like I stayed at a budget hotel with an onsite spa. The eucalyptus steam room was the high point of my stay. We cut our six day stay short by one night - no regrets on that decision!

Room Tip: Not worth upgrading to the "canal square view"
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear BerninVA,

Thank you for your valuable feedback of your recent stay at The Marker.

I have sent you a private email to discuss further if possible your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.