“Don't stay here if you can avoid it....”
Review of The Marker Hotel

The Marker Hotel
Ranked #2 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Don't stay here if you can avoid it....”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

As a Dubliner who is now living in the US, I regularly travel back to Dublin on business. The Marker is next to my office so I was excited when it opened and was one of the first people to stay at the hotel. The hotel is not awful, you're not going to run out disgusted or move hotel outraged but please don't mistake this hotel for a five star hotel or a hotel in the same league as The Shelbourne, The Four Seasons or The Dylan. I travel all the time and recognise five star service or even good service when I see it and unfortunately the vast majority of staff have no experience in the service required for high-end hotels. For example, when I was trying to get a taxi in the rain the doorman told me to walk to the bridge and shrugged his shoulders. When I returned 3rd time at the hotel they didn't welcome me back, they assumed it was my first time at the hotel, isn't it on the screen in front of you that I have stayed there a few times? especially that I stayed there the first week of opening? Also, the 'suite' which was nearly €300 a night was a corner room with a rubbish couch, I could see no difference between this and the regular rooms. The hotel bar and restaurant areas are awfully cold and unwelcoming, this is a matter of taste of course but don't expect luxurious surroundings. If you want value for money, this is not the place. I've switched to the Shelbourne now, right in the heart of town for the same rate or less than this uncomfortable and unfriendly place is offering...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SusieCR
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Carina R,

Thank you for reviewing The Marker Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very disappointed to read that you did not experience the service you expected during your stay in May 2013. I apologise most sincerely that you did not receive the appropriate acknowledgement when you returned to us in September.

We have been in contact with you directly to follow up on your experience.

Your Sincerely

Stephan de Vries
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
connemara
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Attended a course facilitated at the Marker Hotel last month. It was absolutely fabulous, the hotel is very modern and wonderfully positioned. Its a nice 15mins walk from O'Connell st or a 20 mins walk to Grafton st. The conference rooms are very well set out, wonderful coffee machine, fab pastries. The staff are so friendly and professional. We had a tour of the bed rooms, will definitely hope to stay there in the near future.
Lunch was excellent, beautifully presented and served in a lunch box.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear ConnemaraDoris,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I hope your meeting was a success and I am pleased that you liked our facilities; we are very proud to count with state of the art facilities throughout the Hotel.

I thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back and maybe this time it would be for pleasure!

northern ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night seeing a show at nearby theatre.from arrival to leaving was impressed by the friendly standard of service. Hotel 15 minute walk to city centre because we were going to theatre had only a bar snack tasty and quick service.After show wanted to have a drink in roof bar but it was full settled in lobby bar when I member of staff remembered us came over to say there was a place now for one last drink on the roof empressed by that level detail.
One flaw the wet room/ shower flooded the bathroom floor design over practicality but rest of room comfortable.
Check out a little slow but not hotels fault people should remember what they put on their room.
Must commend young Dutch gentleman who was on the bar last night and now on duty again very helpful and friendly a great advertisement for the hotel.
Would recommend it especially if attending the theatre.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Charliedon,

Thank you for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and you found our Team to be helpful and friendly.

They are always delighted to get this kind of comments.

On behalf of my team, I thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dublin
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for 1 night to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary . We were going to show in the Board gais Energy theatre so it was perfect .
I don't think I can complain or comment negatively on 1 thing , everything was perfect . The check in staff asked if we were staying for any special occasion, i told them it was on our anniversary and after we got to our room 2 glasses of champagne arrived courtesy of the hotel . It was a lovely tough .
The room was a great size as was the bathroom and it was immaculately clean. It is bright and modern and has a real contemporary feel but is not cold .
We didn't eat in the hotel but had drinks after the show and the service was very good. this is a 5 star hotel and you do pay 5 star prices for the bar etc but I found the room to be good value.
Check out was very busy when we went to leave but all the stay were on hand and were working as quickly as they could to make sure no one was waiting too long and in fairness to them everyone was leaving at the same time .

Room Tip: Book the valet parking , it is worth it and very convenient at 20.00 euro . I had emailed about this...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LunanGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed this special stay to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary.

We are always happy to help our guest to mark their special occasions.

I hope you enjoyed the show too and we hope we get the opportunity to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I was so lucky to have February visit to The Marker Hotel. The room was again was perfect for some rainy days in Dublin. The marvelous breakfast each morning was a highlight from the greeting to the service. I needed Gluten Free and my GF toast arrived promptly at the table before I went to the breakfast Buffet. I am not a tea drinker so I truly savored the cappuccinos and the poached eggs. What a way to start the day. I can't wait for my next visit.

Room Tip: The New York Times had a hotel review in November and they also had a restaurant review in February.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Joan I,

Thank you for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you chose us again for your visit to Dublin and you enjoyed your stay.

The breakfast indeed is excellent and my team they are only too happy to assist our guests with any dietary requirement.

I thank you again for a lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Galway
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is wonderful, clean and trendy. The rooftop bar was closed which was a shame, ad it was Friday night which was disappointing. The food and cocktails are to die for. Free WiFi throughout which all hotels should have, but sadly don't. Breakfast was gorgeous. The pool and spa is beautiful, the only gripe I would have is that there are loungers beside the pool, but it was way too cold to sit there. They had water available beside the pool which is a great idea. The bed is soooo comfortable! My complimentary paper of choice was hanging outside my room which is a lovely touch. Robert on the front desk was so helpful ad friendly. Your car is put away for the night (20 euro) and dropped to the front door in the morning. Really pleasant experience...thank you!

Room Tip: I was given a choice of floors so I chose the top one....great views :-)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear weekell75Galway,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and got the opportunity to experience the rest of the facilities like the fabulous Spa & Wellness Centre; we have made the necessary adjustments to the temperature to make it all cosy and warm.

Hopefully we will get the chance to welcoming you again and perhaps the next time the Rooftop Lounge will be open during your stay but we can always organise someone to show you around.

Thank you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here for a mini city break in November 2013 and while the hotel was lovely and clean with a HUGE bathroom and bedroom (and bed... huge bed!) it was a little further away from the city centre than I thought which was okay as we often walked in and then taxi'd back for about €8-10.
Staff on reception were helpful and told us how to get to places we needed to get to (bars/guiness factory etc).
The roof bar was amazing and even though it was cold we enjoyed a few pre-dinner beverages.
We didnt eat in the hotel and considering the price was suprised that breakfast is not included. Not sure it is worth as much as they charge but as I have nothing especially to complain about that is just a personal opinion.
it is a very new hotel so in good condition, hope it remains to this standard over time.
Would most likely stay somewhere more central next time unless I needed to be in that side of town.

Room Tip: facing the canal is lovely as the backrooms face another hotel or a building I believe
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear JDUK222,

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I do agree with you that the rooms are great and we always get comments on how lovely and comfortable the beds are.

Even though we are not right in the middle of the city centre, we have all transport options to get from and to town: Dart, Luas, Dublin Bus and it is a lovely stroll along the Quays of only 15 minutes.

On behalf of my team, I thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards