“JUST GREAT -MY HOME WHEN IN DUBLIN”
Review of The Marker Hotel

The Marker Hotel
Ranked #2 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Think my third/fourth ?time stay was to be a fourth/fifth but as my plans always change did not make fourth/fifth to rush "home" to China on business -am Irish -live abroad so always nice to come home and to Dublin on route to my family home in Sligo 2/3 times per year meet my sister and family etc -used to stay in the U2 place down the river which used to be fab -but then went down(after 2 bad stays enough! as I pay myself !!) -not sure now ??-then Merrion -very nice great location superb service -particularly concierge and door men but a little worn in places and they did send me to an occupied room last time !-as I am travelling normally in Europe for at least a week usually from China have valuables and luggage so security important.
Found the Marker from reviews -really nice modern Hotel -location so so -like a developing area in China so will be better in 2/3 years -still walking distance to O Connel Bridge but still really nice particularly in summer ,Hotel rooms superb-Dental Kit on request only though in a 5 Star Hotel??-but this is Europe !1 ,staff great -finally got to visit the rooftop bar and entertain my sister ( last few times closed as winter or off period) -great place although chilly for me even in August coming from 35c China heat-Dublin 12C?? Overall a great Hotel -pool is superb ( visited last time ) really everyone helpful -just a great hassle proof place to stay after a 19 hour journey -definitely recommend and I am difficult (Manage one of the best Hotels in Asia) but very down to earth as all Irish people are -would say if you like Luxury and modern choose here , like Luxury and traditional choose the Merrion -for people who like a traditional Irish Breakfast -I was underwhelmed by Merrion( three times there) -did not try The Marker yet -as had no time!-best breakfast I have had in Dublin in terms of Traditional Irish at Hotels in my opinion was at Gresham food authentic although service so so but worth a try. Anyhow hope this review is helpful

Room Tip: Have always had a room facing on to the square so not sure what the other rooms look like view etc...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank fintanBeijing
TheMarker H, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear FintanBeijing,

Thank you very much for your review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you are considering us your first selection while visiting Dublin on the way home to Sligo; we are indeed a very modern hotel but we are proud to be part of the Leading Hotels of the World and it shows in the service that we provide by our Team.

Thank you again for your lovely comments and we look forward to have you back.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,558)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights over the august bank holiday. The staff and very friendly and helpful, the rooms fairly big and nicely decorated with great bathrooms. The pool, sauna and steam room are worth a visit too. We ate one night in the bar because the brasserie was shut on the Sunday night, the food was good but a bit pricey perhaps. The rooftop bar is worth a visit if the weather is good enough.

There's a couple of nice restaurants in the area, we went to the Mourne seafood bar one evening, does great fish. You do need to book if you want a table but you can just turn up and sit at the bar.

It's a good 15 minutes walk into the centre of Dublin but easily walkable. You can get a bus or the tram if you want to go to the other side of the city though.

I'd definitely recommend The Marker for a short visit.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMarker H, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Richard P,

Thank you for reviewing The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your bank holiday weekend away from home and indeed the Spa & Wellness centre has all the right things to help you start a relaxing time off.

We thank you again for having stayed with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

The design and attention to detail make this a very comfortable and interesting hotel to stay in. The staff are exceptional and will always help in anyway they can without being overbearing. The hotel is striving to be first class leading small hotel and it shows through in all areas. The spa facilities are first class. The location in redeveloped docklands area is about 10 mins from the centre but is interesting and lively in itself and plenty of nearby restaurants. Highly recommended and probably the best place town if you like design and quality.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank D J
TheMarker H, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear D J,

Thank you for your review of The Marker on TripAdvisor.

We are indeed ideally located in the trendy area of the Docklands where there are always a restaurant, bar or a shop opening near by that adds to the great flavour of the area.

The Spa & Wellness Centre is the best in Dublin with its infinity pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi that compliments the great treatments that we offer for guests and public alike.

on behalf of my team, I thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is not listed in the “Leading hotels of the World” directory for nothing. The taxi drivers were impressed when I told them that I was stying at the Marker. They told me that it was the newest and best hotel in Dublin.

Stayed at the Marker Hotel for three nights. Everything in the hotel is AMAZING; millions must have been spent building the place. The staff are really friendly and helpful as soon as you sit down someone comes up and asks someone comes up and asks if you would like a newspaper to read.

The hotel has a fantastic 23-metre swimming pool and jacuzzi.

One thing really impressed me with the Marker is that they telephoned the day before to double check I was coming

As has been noted in previous reviews the views from the rooftop bar are amazing. My only gripe about the rooftop bar is I got the impression that the staff thought, “oh there is a block on his own we will ignore him”. Having said that the metre D up there really did look after me. Having said that the rest of the staff really looked after me. as well

As has been noted in other reviews the hotel is right next door to the Brod Grais theatre, so if you arrive early for the show you can just pop back to you room for a few minutes.

The reception even transferred my payment into my local currency so I did not have to pay foreign currency payment on my credit card bill.

Will defiantly come back to the Marker when next in Dublin.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert3856

Dear Robert3856,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are indeed a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World and we endeavour to deliver the best personal touch to all of our guests.

All of our facilities are designed to complement both a business or leisure stay and our Team is always in hand to help you have a memorable experience.

Thank you again for your lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Modern hotel in Dublin's newly developed south side next to the Bord Gais Energy Theatre and Grand Canal. The staff are excellent - very willing to assist and provide excellent service levels: reception, the spa staff, restaurant, room service - all were great.
Food is good, particularly the breakfast. The roof top bar is stylish, popular and serves great cocktails - with lovely views of the city.
Rooms are nicely equipped, spacious thanks to good ceiling height, with the usual amenities - multi-channel TV, iPad dock, mini-bar etc.
The spa is great. A good sized pool which sensibly restricts kids swimming times so adults can chill / swim quietly in the evening. Our kids still had plenty of time to splash about.
Overall an excellent stay - highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BucksToon
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear BucksToon,

Thank you for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and my team was able to assist you and make your stay a memorable one.

Breakfast indeed is great and different options to please everyone and ours Chefs are always delighted to fulfil any especial requirements that our guests might have.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

What a find! After our chosen hotel apparently overbooking and having to provide us with alternative accomodation during our trip to Dublin to visit friends, we were given an upgrade to The Marker at no cost to ourselves. And very impressed we were too. This is a wonderful retreat in a fabulous location. Our every requirement was met and superceeded and the staff could not do enough to help make us forget the earlier traumas of the days confusion.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the charming docks area in Dublin although you may need an overdraft for the drinks bill at the end of your stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda A

Dear Brenda A,

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry that your original hotel couldn't accommodate you but I am delighted to read that my team looked after you and made your trip especial and enjoyed your stay.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a night at the marker on the 24th August with my partner as a treat as we both live in the Dublin area. I arrived at 3.30 and after paying the room rate plus 50 euro incase we touched the minibar, was told my room wasn't available to check into however I could have a drink 'on them'. I was left sitting for 10 minutes before i was served a drink in the bar area. In the end I was sat alone for way over an hour seemingly forgotten about. It seemed as if a shift had switched over and they had forgot that their guests were waiting... the room was lovely and the bathroom gorgeous. When my boyfriend arrived he was very upset by how the check in was handled and made this clear which the hotel then offered us a bottle of wine. From then the whole experience was awkward they began to acknowledge him by name when we went through the atrium, as if service only mattered when you were annoyed. Then to add to the experience there was loud banging from 9 in the morning for an hour. The Hotel followed up with an apology email, but the whole experience was far from 5 star and was awkward, I have had better service in 3 stars where the staff are real people rather than robotic. I was so looking forward to trying the rooftop bar and the pool but didn't feel comfortable to do so. I wouldn't be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Leigh H

Dear Leigh H,
Thank you for review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

As disheartening as it is to read of our shortcomings, I am confident that thank you to your feedback, we have introduced new standards to avoid this situation to arise again.

We have been in contact already and I hope we get the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.