“Great food, great value for money and great service, average decor.”
Review of Gong Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

Gong Chinese Restaurant
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I'm not a big Chinese food fan but when I'm in the mood it's either Gong's in Stillorgan or China Sichuan Restaurant in Sandyford. Gong's is where I go for a casual, good value for money Chinese and China Sichuan is where I go if it's a special occasion or I want to impress someone.

Last night I had a very nice three course dinner menu in Gong's for €21 and it was tip top.

If you're looking for excellent food, good service and good value for money this is a great place to go.

There are newer reviews for Gong Chinese Restaurant

Reviewed 7 June 2013

It has been quite a while now since I visited the Gong Chinese Restaurant in Stillorgan so I was pleased to be back in Dublin again for a few weeks and have the opportunity of revisiting some of my favourite dining places, once, or perhaps even more times. Gong’s was one such place I wanted to revisit.
I wrote some time ago on Tripadvisor about this Chinese restaurant and since my recent visits have not had any reason to change my mind. Nothing has really changed. It provides food of good quality and remains great value for money at lunchtime. In the last few weeks or so I have had many of the items on the menu and all have been of good quality. For €11.50 for two courses including a pot of China tea, how can you go wrong?
Unfortunately it is still not doing a great trade at lunchtime which seems to me to be rather strange given the proximity of the iconic and busy Stillorgan Shopping Centre nearby. Hopefully they will keep the place going so I can come back soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

I had Sunday lunch in this very reasonably priced Chinese restaurant which is staffed by friendly, helpful and efficient staff who helped us choose from a generous set menu. The two course meal was exceptional value, so much so that we decided to have a drink and a dessert also. This is one of the cheapest restaurants in Dublin and the food was well presented and was good Chinese cooking. While the stairs to the first floor will represent a problem for the disabled, and which accounts for only 4 stars out of 5, the restaurant is well decorated and diners are made feel very welcome. I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars for atmosphere as we were the only ones there, perhaps because so few know about the great value meal. Situated opposite Stillorgan shopping centre in Dublin's south suburbs Gong Chinese restaurant is well worth a trip for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

The Gong Chinese Restaurant opposite the Stillorgan Shopping Centre is rarely busy at lunchtime. This is a pity because potential customers do not realise what they are missing and that the place may not be there next time I visit. That would be a great pity for me and for them. I have been coming here on and off over the last few years I often have been the only person in the restaurant and that does not bother me at all. I know many people can be a little uncomfortable in this situation, but I do not find this a problem. I cannot however speak for the evening trade as I have never been there at that time of the day but I have heard that they do good business then and that the take-away service is also good. I have no direct experience of either however so I cannot comment fairly.
The lack of lunchtime custom is a little hard to understand as the value here is quite exceptional even in these days of cutbacks, recessions and retrenchment located in a very busy commercial and shopping location. How about €11.50 for two courses including a pot of China tea? The restaurant area is an elegant space and the staff are really very friendly, helpful and approachable. Thank you Tim!
Today I had the Hot and Sour Soup: it was very good with just the right balance of flavours. That was followed by Beef Chow Mein. There was too much of this dish for me as usual, and, delicious and all as it was, I simply could not finish it, much to the puzzlement of the charming Chinese waitress. It too was good without being in any way spectacular. The danger with this type of dish is that the meat can often taste as if it had been reheated. In Gong’s restaurant this dish, as other similar dishes in the past, did not show any such signs. There were more people here for lunch on this recent occasion which augers well for the future of this venue.
I don’t think that this particular restaurant is ever going to be overly spectacular but since the standard is generally very good (I have never had a bad experience here) and represents excellent value for money I will be back again for more next week!
Nearby parking is generally good (and free). I recommend a visit if you like this type of oriental cuisine.