“Location, location, location”
Review of Dublin Citi Hotel

Dublin Citi Hotel
Ranked #73 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great location if you don't mind the noise from traffic. I don't mind so much. Fortunately it was not a particularly hot week so we could leave our window open for fresh air and a breeze to keep the room reasonably cool.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chancyws
RECEPTION-STAFF, Manager at Dublin Citi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. At Dublin Citi Hotel we are always trying our best to provide the best customer service possible. The room are regularly inspected to make sure everything is in place. We have a 24/7 maintenance and housekeeping staff to take care of all our customer needs.

Having an in house bar and restaurant is an added bonus to our guests. We have live music with well known bands everyday. In addition, all the guests get free entry into the nightclub and also great offers on food and beverages.

There are newer reviews for Dublin Citi Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed there July 24 though the 29 stayed in rooms 308 and 306 was moved because size of room, was 6 ft by 10 ft if it was an inch. Over priced rooms very small and dirty. Web site doesn't match hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank moochy2002

We apologise for the inconvenience cause. Our maintenance and housekeeping staff are very committed in keeping the rooms and the premises clean and tidy at all times.

As we are situated on a busy city centre road, there can be traffic noise which is why we provide earplugs for your convenience.

We will take your review under serious consideration and make sure no such inconvenience is caused to any of our guests.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This past week I needed to spend a night in Dublin, stay in the city centre and spend as little as possible. The hotel where I usually stay that fits this bill was sold out so I went on Booking.com to search for something similar and found a great rate at the Dublin Citi Hotel: €59 room only for a single room. On a mid-week night in July, my 'usual' Dublin hotel, which is just around the corner from this, would be charging €99 minimum for the same thing. I couldn't believe my luck.

I arrived at the hotel around 9.30am to leave my bag in storage. The receptionist was exceptionally friendly and professional and to her credit she checked to see if my room was available, even though it hadn't even crossed my mind that she'd let me check in at this time. As it happened it was still occupied and they'd been full the night before, but I didn't mind. She gave me a tag to put on my bag and asked me to leave it by the elevator doors, just next to the reception desk but in full view of anyone who came to reception or walked from the adjoining Trinity Bar into the reception area. I thought that once she had a free minute it was be secured in some luggage or storage room, as is the norm. I left and went about my day.

I didn't return to the hotel until around 5pm and I was shocked to see my bag sitting in exactly the same place: out in the open in reception. It was only a little cabin-approved trolley case; any opportunist could have easily made away with it. My laptop was inside it. I know you leave luggage at your own risk, but I had presumed that when a hotel stores luggage, it at least makes an effort to store it somewhere safely.

I was allocated a single room on the second floor. When you walked in the single bed was to your right, up against the window and the wall, with a sliver of a desk at the end of it (by the door). There was barely room for the chair to fit under the desk/at the end of bed, let alone for someone to sit on that chair and use the desk. The tiny bathroom was around the corner with a shower so small I knew I was going to have step into sideways, crab-like; the opening in the shower doors was too narrow for me to walk straight into, and I'm a 5ft 4" woman.

Opposite the bathroom door was a second window, *completely* blocked by a large vent, it looked like, pinned to the side of the building. I can't stress this enough: the window was *completely* blocked by the vent. So why have the window there? Why not block it up? Who wants to be looking at the back of an unsightly vent? The other window had a view of wall and, beyond that, the balconies of another hotel or apartment complex. There were old sash windows that were nearly impossible to slide upwards and they'd only been left open a crack.

And that was the worst bit: because it was a really warm day, the room was unbearably hot. It was suffocating.

I went downstairs and asked if there were any fans available. The receptionist (a different one now, a man) said no, and started explaining that usually the weather isn't warm. Now, I live 3 hours away in Cork and I actually work part-time in a B&B where I say the same thing to my guests, so perhaps this was karma, but we both know that this just isn't true. Last summer and on numerous occasions so far this summer, the weather has been incredibly hot (for Ireland). It's a trend that will continue, and that isn't over for this year yet. In a small hotel room on an upper floor, it doesn't take much more than a warm afternoon for things to hot up and when you can't open the windows - if I had physically managed it, there would still have been the problem of noise - BUY SOME FANS FOR YOUR GUESTS.

Trying to dry my hair with a hairdryer in the same space the following morning, after spending the whole night sweating and awake and sipping water so as to not suffocate - well, I nearly passed out altogether.

The room was spotlessly clean, but the bed creaked with every turn and the pillows were as flat as pancakes. The towels were also small and thin, and only an indeterminable green substance that looked like Fairy Washing Up Liquid was provided in the bathroom. The wi-fi, while free, was weak and slow.

The upshot of all this is that I didn't sleep well at all and I was utterly exhausted for my morning in Dublin. You get what you pay for and I wish I had paid more to sleep somewhere else, because I totally ruined my day in Dublin for myself. You think you just need a bed in a quiet place, but what you really need is a comfortable bed in a quiet place with air circulating around it that you can get a good night's sleep in. Otherwise you're just ruining your time in the city.

The next morning I left my bag again as I had no choice. (The only luggage lockers I know of are on the other side of the city, in Bus Aras.) When I came back 2 hours later it was still sitting in the same spot, surrounded now by other luggage. Seems their 'luggage storage' really is the floorspace outside their elevators.

Room Tip: You might get a good night's sleep if you choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank catherineh1982
RECEPTION-STAFF, Manager at Dublin Citi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

catherineh1982, we can assure you that the reception desk and area is manned 24/7. We ensure that the luggage is kept safe and secure, nobody is permitted to take or tamper with a bag which they do not have the corresponding label for.

We are sorry to hear there were no fans left when you requested one at reception. As you mentioned it rarely gets so hot in Dublin, and unfortunately we only have a small amount of fans available. We will certainly remedy this for the future.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay,and we will take your review under serious consideration and make sure no such inconvenience is caused to any of our guests

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at room 310 for two nights, great location with parking around the corner. Slept well even though it was quite hot! Breakfast was good. Bedroom was spotless. Bathroom was a little musty which I don't think was down to cleaning but needs more ventilation. Overall very pleasant and will return.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Savouryeve

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have rated this venue 4/5 because of the great location, great atmosphere and friendly staff. I volunteer with a charity and each year after the Flora Mini Marathon this hotel/bar offer our runners free platters of food and reserve an area for us to relax and unwind after our run. The staff are always friendly and ready to help and the food is always fresh and plentiful (considering it is all free). I also used to eat lunch here weekly and again the food is very reasonably priced, fresh and the staff are, as always, great!!

If you are going out in Dublin and need somewhere to stay, I’ve never stayed here myself, but the location is fantastic. Across from the Mercantile which is always a bit of craic and not too far from the clubs on Harcourt Street not to mention it's on the doorstep of Temple Bar. I can’t review the rooms but the bar and the staff are excellent.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JLOB

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Even the quiest room in the hotel is impossible to sleep in with a window open! When i booked a room I informed them that we were a family looking for a quiet room. They said they could deliver. They did not. It was almost like trying to sleep in a club.

The worst part, though, was that they delivered a baby cot that collapsed with my 1 year old son inside. When we complained, they couldn't find anything wrong with the cot and rejected our complaint.

Other than a friendly and helpfull brazilian receptionist, the staff was uninterested. ( it was the manager that rejected our complaint)

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Andreas S
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I loved it, it was great!

I'd recommend it to all my friends in a heatbeat. Only problem, rooms are a bit of a tight squeeze if you try to have friends over. Other than that, great!!

Why does this have to be 200 characters long? That's a lot to ask of someone at 4.44am.

• Stayed: July 2014