“Not a 4* as advertised, but great location in the centre about 5 mins walk to temple bar.”

Staycity Aparthotels Christchurch
Ranked #3 of 117 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
birmingham
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Me and my friend arrived in dublin and were really excited, but we were put down by not been able to find this apartment. We walked around for approximately 1 Hour because the email we were sent didnt have an address or contact number. We arrived and were not sure what to expect by this point. The guy on reception was pleasant and let us go to our apartment earlier than the check in time. We got to our room via the lift. We got in the apartment and found the lock was a bit wobbly. had a look round. Our double beds took up a lot of space in the room, so much so, my friend left her suitcase in my room. The Apartment was advertised as a 4*, which i dont believe. More like 2-3* Maybe i had really high hopes? The apartment had a fair bit of wear and tear damage. The kitchen was probably the best bit. We couldnt get many channels on the TV :( just the general look of the apartment wasn't top notch as the photos are shown. You could hear all the traffic at night as its on a busy road. The worst thing though was the shower room. I had a nice hot shower, by the time my friend got in to use it, it had gone cold. No one told us about the problems we would face on how to work the boiler system. We were left some clean towels which was a bonus and some fresh bed sheets in the wardrobe. Getting in and out the apartment as a whole was generally ok, but you have to wait for someone to buzz you in. Over all i would recommend this apartment if you dont have really high hopes as i did. They didnt do anything majorly wrong, which is why i would recommend it. We got given directions and a smile and sometimes, thats all you need! Just maybe sort some small issues out and this would be a lot nicer?! maybe give your visitors an info card as they arrive....or an info card left in the rooms? These apartments are in a great location.. 5 mins walk to temple bar and 5 mins the other was to the guiness storehouse...&.Dublin was BEAUTIFUL :)

Room Tip: we got the end room which was nice to see out, it was on the main road (junction) though
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We arrived on foot in a severe weather pattern and had trouble finding the property! The horizontal sleet hitting us stopped us looking upwards and there is nothing obvious at street level. And the locals did not know where it was! When we booked in found we had been given 2 bed 1 bath apartment - NOT what we had paid for! Back to reception and did manage to get moved into 2 bed 2 bath. While reception supposedly manned 24 hours, we often had to ring the bell, and wait in the rain for someone to come and unlock the door.
However it is in a great position and did have a wahing machine/dryer! We had no jug to start with. Could do with someone paying a lot more attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 907sooze
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I booked with this provider primarily because I wanted cooking and washing facilities. And the apartments ease of good size with a full kitchen. The problem is that the apartments are in a very old building, which makes them feel slightly ratty. The worst part was the water heating which must date from the 19th century. During the day you have to turn on the heating on a two hour timer, so if you forget to turn it on again you have to wait half an hour for more water. This wasn't really a problem for me as it turned out, although a couple of times I forgot that I needed hot water to wash the dishes. The shower was warm in the morning, but have to turn on a pump that sounds like a drill to have a decent shower pressure. It was fine pressure ith that, but I worried about waking the neighbours when I had to have an early morning. As for the location, I was there for work and it is a good 15 mins walk to the St Steohen Green area, there were some closer hotels, and not a lot of local amenities like cafes. On the other hand, the value for money was fine, and the staff were fairly helpful. My bed squeaked horribly, which was slightly annoying for someone travelling by herself, with two people it would have been much worse!

If I was to return to Dublin I'd probably stay somewhe else, although it was fine for what I was wanting at the time.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the back side of the building, and it was a lot quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Ok, let me begin by saying that usually I am one who is not terribly picky about places we stay, but this place was one of the worst I have stayed in. I literally think this hotel is only an upgrade for those who have stayed in ratty-tatty hostels before. Let's start with the positives:

Great location! Seriously was perfect for walking everywhere in central Dublin! Location is the only reason it got even 2 stars.
The staff was not overly friendly, but they did what they could to help us out (one from Eastern Europe was really helpful and went out of his way to help us, was very much appreciated).
Washer and dryer in unit, however I hesitate to put this because it didn't properly dry our clothes both times we used it.

Cons:
Beware, the pictures looked cute but once we were in the unit it was all a farce.
From the second we walked in we could tell that the apartment had not been thoroughly cleaned. The walls stood out the most being that they BADLY needed a fresh coat of paint. I mean, SERIOUSLY. Aside from that, there were fingerprints and smear marks on the cabinets and appliances in the unit. There was mold on the bathroom ceiling. The bedroom was incredibly small, which I've stayed in tiny bedrooms, but was really tiny. The light was barely sufficient in the bedroom as well, wasn't even worth turning on. The balcony doors did not shut entirely, and once we got the living room doors shut, we were unable to get the bottom to open up again. Other reviewers had mentioned the noise on the weekends, so beware IT IS REALLY LOUD! It sounds like there is a party going on in the alley most nights. One night in particular the inhabitants across the room came back all drunk from a night out at 4 in the morning. I was having a hard time sleeping already, but they decided to sit outside their room and bulls**t with each other. Some girl came out of her room and asked them to be quiet and they ensued in a yelling match. They were up till 5:30am, as was I. It sounded as if they were in my room with me. You can also hear the units above you really clearly as well. Ok, lastly, the bathroom needs a review of itself!
The bathroom is by far the worst EVER! Every time you turn on the light it sounded as if an airplane were about to take off, and it never quieted down. The sound continued after the light was off for 10 minutes or so. By the end of the trip I was just peeing in the dark for fear of waking up my friend from turning on the light. The door slammed shut and there was no way to prop it open, it was on a spring, which was odd in itself. The sink was too small to even hold the smallest bar of soap, leaving no place to leave your toiletries, aside from the top of the toilet. The shower was unpleasant at best. Unless you get up really early, or take a shower during lunch, the water was pretty cold. The pressure was horrible as well. You have to turn on a machine when you turn on the water just to get minimal pressure when showering. While showering water temps fluctuated frequently. The shower was loud as well as the light, so using the bathroom was about as quiet as a construction site.

All in all, I tried to remain positive during the trip because I was the one who had chosen the hotel, but I would rather avoid this place and either stay in a hostel if you are looking to save money, or just spend a little more and stay somewhere nicer!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We came in early and paid 10 euro to check inn early, so that's pretty fair price. The room was allright, a little worn out, not fancy spancy, but just allright. We stayed Monday - Friday, so it was pretty quiet. One thing I have to say, the BEDS was really good..

One of my friends left me a message in the reception, but I did'nt get it, so don't think they actually do anything else then open the door for you.. But what ever, we needed a 2 bedroom suite and we got it..

Room Tip: Gren hop on and off bus..
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Rome
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Christchurch Hall apartments are fully equipped with large rooms and full of light. The staff is very kind and always helpful. The apartments are very central, at walking distance from Temple bar, Dublin Castle, Trinity College etc. If you book well in advance you can have very good prices.

Room Tip: We had an apartment in Christchurch Hall on the side of Highstreet on the third floor and it was not...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I took my parents to Ireland on holiday last week and we stayed at the Christchurch apartments for two nights. For me, i wouldn't stay much longer at this hotel. I've stayed in Dublin before and I know that hotels can be a bit old/tired. The staff were pleasant and helpful and our apartment was a good size. The location was ideal but the apartment could have been a bit cleaner. The balcony clearly wasn't cleaned after the previous guests (as there were used cigarette butts). We had no toilet paper in the room but were able to get the last roll from reception. There is a fair bit of street noise but that didn't bother us. The living room and kitchen were nice and the bedrooms were adequate. The bathroom wasn't great but fine for a short-term stay. It's good value and I'd recommend staying here but don't have too high of expectations.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family