“Has come a long way since it was the Harp Bar”
Review of River Bar

River Bar
Ranked #770 of 2,558 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, European, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,048 helpful votes
“Has come a long way since it was the Harp Bar”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The last time I was here, [many years ago] this was called the Harp, and from the outside, not a lot has changed, but once I entered, I didn't recognise the place. To be honest, the Harp was a bit of a kip, but it always attracted big crowds. They had bouncers on the door then, who were very strict who'd they let in, then it lost it's appeal, and the bouncers were nearly dragging you in off the street. Funny how times change.

Inside now, it's all modern and trendy, with loads of standing room, and I'd imagine it's a great place to meet people. Geoff, the very friendly barman, was very efficient, and informative, and he told me that the bar opens at 8am for breakfast. You'd never have seen that years ago! It was quiet on my visit [mid afternoon], but yet there was a buzz about the place, with a crowd at the bar, appearing to be having great craic [mostly tourists]

Before I left, I headed downstairs to the gents, and found a disco down there, not in the toilet, but on the way!! I bet this place is packed at weekends, and if I was younger, I could see myself throwing a few shapes on the dance floor!! A great spot, in a great location, but a bit too young for me.

• Visited July 2014

Waterford, Ireland
“Great food!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Same here after work one evening for some dinner and drinks, had a lovely burger meal and a few drinks after, the bar has a great atmosphere and in a suburb location, really would recommend it to anyone! Spot on!

Perth, Australia
“Great pub great location”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We dropped in for a quick meal, what a great pub. The service was very good, limited selection of wine but what they had was OK, meals were excellent. I had the grilled salmon, a very large serving cooked to perfection.

A great Irish band was playing for part of the time that we were there.

• Visited July 2014
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Amazing burgers!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We popped into here for something quick and easy to eat after being on the cider for most of the afternoon.

The staff were friendly albeit not attentive but we ordered very quickly and our food didn't take too long to arrive either. We got a deal - a burger and pint for €12 each - absolute bargain! The burger was amazing and I was so full afterwards I couldn't possibly have had pudding.

The only downside is we ended up leaving the cash on the table as no one came over to give us our bill and I was unable to get anyone's attention.

• Visited June 2014
Chicago, IL
“Huge Portions. Average Food.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Liked our server very much. The place itself was very much like an open bar, but not in a good way. The lower level is fitted up as a disco, and smelled strongly of Pine-Sol. Food sounded interesting - I had Sweet Potato/Butternut Squash soup, which was excellent, but such an enormous portion that I could only eat about 1/3rd of it. My daughter had the seafood chowder as a 1/2 portion - it was mostly mussels and the cream soup itself was very thin. This does seem to be a popular place for people to meet for birthdays and other celebration events.

Visited June 2014