“You get what you pay for - Okay Hotel”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #33 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My partner and I stayed in this hotel as we found a cheap deal on it on the otel website & it looked nice enough.... But when we checked in the woman had very poor english - should we not experience this in foreign countries, not our own... The room smelt musty and we had a tv from the 1960s.

We were then woken at 6am by the smoke alarm randomly going off in our room?! We arrived down to breakfast about 10.35am and choice was limited - No bacon left and only a couple of sausages on the tray which tasted like they'd been sat there for a few days.

All in all - okay hotel but wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Dear RWilson

Thanks very much for taking the time to write your review. I am very dissappointed with the issues that you experienced during your stay. It was not up to our usual standard and for that I sincerely apologise. I will contact you separately to discuss these issues.

Conor O'Kane

Write a ReviewReviews (4,202)

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stayed here because of so many good Trip Advisor reviews... not this one!

Room we got was on the top floor (728) good size and no initial complaints, however at night every couple of minutes, machinery would start up and room would resonate and then machinery would switch off again. After a couple of hours of this I went to reception and asked could this be switched off, the chap on reception said "ahh this is the hotel water pumping room' and 'it runs all night' Obviously a known issue. I asked to be switched to another room. Other room fine except after I had got to sleep at 3am the TV started up to welcome me to this room! All in all not a good nights sleep.

Beware of this hotels Credit Card trick. If you pay with a UK or non Euro card they will try and charge you in Sterling at the Hotels own exchange rate. You should be offered a choice under all credit card codes of practice. When I complained I was told it was for the convenience of customers! Much better to let your bank to do the conversion.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 728 as very noisy due to machinery on the 8th floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank zachuk
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Dear Zachuk

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback on your recent stay. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the bad time that you experienced. A number of things went wrong which quiet frankly should not have and ended up ruining your experience.
The issue with the noise from the roof was not a known issue, it has now been fixed and should have been before your visit.
The issue with the credit card is one which I take very seriously. It is not, nor has it ever been, the policy in this hotel to automatically charge guests in the currency of the card. All staff have been trained to offer the choice of Euro or their own currency. This matter has been dealt with immediately you brought it to my attention. We only offer this service because we are guaranteed by our credit card company that you the guest will get the best exchange rate on the day.
If you feel that you have not received the best rate I am more than happy to offer you a refund for the difference.
All in all I am very dissappointed with the quality of service we provided for you on your stay. It is not our normal standard of service, but I know that this is not the impression that we gave you.
I will be in contact with you separately and I hope I can find some way to make this up to you.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

A group of us returned to the Maldron for the 3rd year - all 18 of us were extremely happy with the food, drink, service and value for money. The rooms are spacious and the leisure centre is excellent. The location is very strategic for all major events in the city. The staff were very helpful as usual. We'll be back.............

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jcmahon
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Dear JCMahon

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you return to us every year. It is a wonderful compliment.
I look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

As a previous Hotel Manager in the Channel Islands, when I'm travelling anywhere, my friends and family count on me to research and find where we are going to stay in whatever City around the world. I spend hours....sometimes days looking at properties and finding just the right one for us at the right price and so far I have not got it wrong LOL!

This Hotel is fantastic!.....the Staff are so friendly and professional. On check in, there were 2 in our party who smoked and one who didn't, I asked for a room with a balcony for that reason and it was confirmed immediately!

The room was spotlessly clean with a lovely balcony, which, I might add, we spent most of the mornings on during our stay......extra coffee was not a problem, there was a member of Housekeeping on hand.

I loved the fact that there was an ice machine at the corner of our floor and a vending machine that sold snacks, soft drinks, wine and beer at very reasonable prices for Dublin!

The room was spacious and the beds very comfortable. The shower was very powerful and lots of hot water!

We requested an alarm call on our final day and this was guaranteed and came through at the time requested! On our final morning we asked if, after check out we could use the Leisure facilities in the lower ground floor and we were advised it was fine which was a lovely addition to our stay.

We checked out and with a few hours to spare we went for a lovely sauna, jacuzzi and swim to clear the weekends activities from our systems LOL!....again, the staff were lovely, very friendly and the Leisure facilities were spotless....although I was disappointed the steam wasn't working but at least the sauna was! 1 outa 2 ain't bad!!!!!.....it was nice that they had at least put a sign up to say that they had informed the Engineer....although.....I had a feeling it wasn't the first time they had had the problem.......BUT....I was happy to at least have the sauna!!!!!

What I loved about this Hotel apart from what I've previously said is that the Manager reads the reviews on here and comments on them so he's, "on the ball"!......go for it if you want a Hotel for luxury in Dublin at the right price!

Its only 6 euro from Connolly Station to the Hotel and to walk, its less than a mile from the City Centre so why not????.......enjoy peoples!.....I'll definitely be back!!!!! :-)

Room Tip: Rooms are VERY warm so if you wear jammies....bring very light ones with you!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dinny1970

Dear Dinny1970

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am very pleased that the hotel lived up to your expectations. I am particularly happy that our staff so friendly and professional. We think that it is very important to reply to all our reviews. If someone has taken the time to give us their feedback, good or bad it is the least that we can do.
I hope you get the chance to return to Ireland soon and that you will get to stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

Stayed at The Maldron on Tuesday 30th August for one last get away before kids went back to school and what a treat we got. The hotel offered us an excellent package, through the website including dinner, drinks, trip on Dublin wheel, swimming lesson for kids, breakfast and car parking. What more could you want. We find the location very good, just a short stroll from everything you need. The rooms on the front of the hotel have great views and balconies and are exceptionally quiet considering the location. What brings me back to the Maldron again and again is how clean, well kept and maintained everywhere is. Dinner and breakfast is of very good standard and the dinner is well priced. But to me what makes a hotel is the staff and all the staff, in particular the reception staff are friendly and very good at what they do.

We will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear AntandDol

Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am very happy that you spent such an enjoyable time here. i am delighted that you enjoyed the food and found it good value for money. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Look out for our special offers for half term.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We came here on our way back from Cork. Finding the hotel was a pain (reception was not very helpful in finding it either) once we got lost, we searched for 1.5 hours as there are no road signs in Dublin either, you have to estimate. The hotel itself was good, with nice big rooms. There were also sitting areas. The internet is free (there is an Ethernet cable upstairs, and WiFi downstairs). The location was central, the conference centre was across the bridge, and many restaurants and trinity college nearby. The pool (in the club vitae) was also good, a very large one, as well as a kids pool, a jacuzzi, a steam room, and a sauna. They also had a fitness centre in the club. The breakfast buffet is good the first time, but the problem is that they have the same foods daily (eggs, bacon, sausage, black & white pudding, and beans). Overall the hotel is good

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear Bhojo

Thanks for your review. Firstly I would like to apologise for the fact that reception were not very helpful in giving directions to the hotel. I will address this issue immediately. I am delighted to read that once you got here you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you enjoyed your stay in Ireland and that you can make it back soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed here when attending a concert in the O2. The hotel was busy and the staff seemed somewhat harrassed and to be honest were a bit rude at times. The room was clean and comfirtable and breakfast was really good with a wide selection. Overall not a bad place to stay if the staff smiled a bit more.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Donegalboy25

Thanks very much for your review. Please accept my apologies for the issues that you experienced with our staff. It is completely unacceptable. We did identify these issues back in March around the time that you stayed with us, and we carried out an extensive training program to correct the problem. You will see from our recent reviews, that the issue that you experienced been corrected. I am sorry that it was not dealt with before your stay, but I hope it did not have too much impact on your stay.