“A well-run hotel, clean and comfortable”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #34 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Santa Cruz, California
“A well-run hotel, clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 11 October 2009

The location of this hotel is the only drawback for leisure travelers, but as the new convention center across the river is completed, and nearby construction projects finish up, this location could be a plus. The 10-15 minute (pleasant) walk along the river to the center of Dublin was not an issue for us, but we had very mild weather and don't mind walking. If you aren't on a budget, taxis are plentiful and the front desk is very helpful. We were out of the hotel most of the day, but we did not notice construction noise from nearby building sites.

Free wifi in lobby, paid internet kiosks with printers in lobby as well.
Thanks to a Priceline deal, we paid less to stay here than most of the B&Bs on our trip... so I have no complaints!

3 Thank boomerz
ClaireOliver, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, 27 October 2009
Dear Boomerz,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw on your recent stay in the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and as you have mentioned the completion of the Samuel Beckett Bridge, Convention Centre and the Theatre will enhance our Hotels location further.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My mother and aunt stayed in the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in September 2009 (they are not of the internet generation hence I am writing this review and not them) they checked in on Friday afternoon to a warm and friendly receptionist. They were in Dublin for a party near Connolly Station and the receptionist offered them directions which was very helpful but in the end they decided on a taxi. The room was spotless, a good size and with lots of natural light.
Breakfast the next morning was very good, lots of choice of both hot and cold foot.

If you are looking for a good hotel in the centre of Dublin with warm, friendly staff and nice clean and well decorated rooms and public areas at a reasonable rate - this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2009
Dear Chickie_London,

Thank you for writing a review on behalf of your Mother and Aunt who recently stayed with us. We appreciate all feedback received and i am happy to see that they enjoyed their stay.

I look forward to welcoming your Mother and Aunt back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane should they return to Dublin in the future.

midwest
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I thought this hotel was very nice and clean. There was work being done outside but it didn't deter my feelings towards the hotel. With the window open it was a little loud to sleep but it wasn't so early that it bothered me.
We walked to temple bar with ease along the river. i thought it was a nice walk especially on the way back. we were going to take a cab home but thought it'd be nice to walk off dinner.
if you park in the parking garage across the road, be sure to read all the terms of the parking and the fees. the hotel doesn't offer parking so this appears to be the only option at the time, so make sure you fully understand the terms. weekday parking is a little steep. other than that this place was exactly what we were looking for. once the construction is done on the square i am sure it will be more lively.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
ClaireOliver, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, 9 October 2009
Dear Stucknkc,

Thank you for completing your reveiw on the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane following your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to ,hopefully welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Warwick
Reviewed 7 October 2009

The hotel was practically brand new, a good size, well presented, friendly staff and 4 AA stars. What more could you really ask at under £60 a night in Dublin?!
The hotel was near some building work but I wasn’t exactly fearing for my life as one previous reviewer suggested. They are clearly improving the whole area and in a couple of year’s time I suspect you would have to pay through the nose to stay in this hotel. We had vouchers for the €10 breakfast but there were too many nice places to eat at whilst out and about to waste time in the hotel restaurant.
The reception area seemed busy all of the time so be prepared for a bit of a wait. We arrived at 9.30am and just left our bags in the luggage room which was great. I requested a high room which I was glad of on the Saturday night when they had a disco blaring out at full volume – Oh God, I must be getting old! The room was a good size, it had a single and a double bed for 2 of us! There was a full length mirror with a nearby plug socket (always a concern for my hair styling), an iron, trouser press, hairdryer, coffee making facilities but no fridge or mini-bar just vending machines in the corridor. If you want as drink you have to leave your credit card details in reception as the machines don’t take cash. Also, if you smoke, I would suggest you bring some cigarettes with you as the cheapest we found was €8.50 and in the hotel there was an annoying token system to buy them.
The gym and pool were ok but I was a bit perplexed as to why you had to wear a swimming cap in the pool at €2.50 a pop. I just went in the Jacuzzi so apparently didn’t need one. However, seeing as the use of the facilities is free, I shouldn’t complain.
In terms of distance from the centre, it isn't right in the heart of it but for us it was just right. It was far enough away that it wasn't noisy and it was close enough that you could walk. My boyfriend really isn't a walker but we didn't take taxis to Grafton Street or Temple Bar though we did go in a taxi when we went to the Gate Theatre and Ballsbridge where we ate at Roly's Bistro, very nice!
The tour bus is 15 euro for a 24 hour pass and we got on at Merrion Square which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We bought it at noon on the first day and were still using it by 5pm the following day, well worth it. I would definitely recommend Kilmainham Jail. Merrion Square is also where we got off when we got the aircoach. Now whilst the walk with cases didn’t phase us on arrival, even though we had already bought return tickets, the walk was too far for the early morning flight so we got a taxi to the airport at a cost of 25 euros.
All in all we had a lovely time, the worst thing about the hotel was that there wasn’t a towel rail in the bathroom and I’m sure you’ll agree, that’s never going to be the clincher!

Dear ReadySteady,

Thank you for writing a reveiw on your recent stay in the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.

Customer feedback is greatly appreciated by our Hotel and your kind comments are most encouraging.

I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Dublin and the Maldron Hotel Cardiff lane in the near future.

kent
Reviewed 6 October 2009

lovely clean hotel with great facilities including excellent gym, pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi

really helpful staff who were friendly and couldnt do enough for you especially the restaurant and reception staff

rooms were clean and tidy and maids came in every day - clean towels each day too

only 15 min walk to the main centre and what a lovely walk along the river which is gradually being improved to a high standard

had a lovely relaxing time in this hotel

Dear Kentkerry,

I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable & relaxing stay at our Hotel which is highlighted by your 100% rating. Please be assured that I will pass on your kind comments to the staff.

I look forward to , hopefully, welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the future.

UK
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I stayed with friends on 3rd October for a long weekend. the hotel is very goood except when it comes to customer service. I had a dreadful meal in the restaureant courtesy of the early bird special. I returned my main course uneaten to be replaced by a side salad . At first my bill was not adjusted to take account of the uneaten meal. it was then reduced by.... wait for it €2.80 because I exchanged my pasta dish for a side sald!. The restaurant manager refused to back down so I had to pay €15.70 for a bowl of soup and a side sald.
Outragous.
That apart the room was spotless and spacious, the front desk helpful. just don't eat in the restaurant

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank girty41
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, 15 October 2015
Dear Titti54

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane has recently re-branded as Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane. We are currently reviewing all historic reviews both positive and constructive feedback so as to enhance guest experience moving forward. We hope to see you again soon at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane and once again thank you for your contribution.

Kind regards,
Conor O’Kane
Oslo
Reviewed 1 October 2009

This hotel is situated 15 min in walking distance to where Temple Bar area starts and 15 min to O'Connell street. But the Busaras ( Central Bus Station ) is just a 7-8 min walk away. The coaches to the airport arrive and leave from here. Great hotel and nice location if you enjoy walking, or if you want to spend some money on taxi. Its 8 Euros to centre by taxi. But just 1.15 Euros with the buses. The bus stop is nearby.

The rooms are good, and theres a lot of them. I was travelling alone, but still got a room from three people. They will give you the quiet rooms, if you ask for it. Theres a great lunch place just around the corner. I think its called Munchies. The people working in finances and telecom eat lunch here. And the Ferryman pub is also just around the corner.

The rooms are excellent. Clean and spacious. The cleaners do an excellent job every day. It seems theyre used to working hard for their pay. Or they love their job.

The health club is great. Large swimming pool, with not too many people. You have to buy a swimming cap for 2,5 Euros and its best to have your own lock with you. The health club is open for the public. Health club includes a superb fitness centre, that a lot of locals use as their work-out place.

To be honest. Dublin was a bit boring. And people were not as friendly as i was expecting. Maybe its the crisis, or maybe its the weather, or maybe its the melancolic aspect of Irish culture? I dont know. But a half day bus trip to South coast with powerscourt gardens, was tremendous. Powerscourt gardens is an exceptionell place. And on the tour you get more than an hour to walk around in the spectacular gardens. Recommended. The tours go from dublin bus HQ in O' Connell street. I found one good area for eating and people watching, which was where Parliament street meets Dame street. It is about 20 min from the hotel by walk.

If i had more time i would definately travel more to the smaller towns outside Dublin. Like Wicklow. As the countryside is more genuine and people are more relaxed and friendly. The nature is also fantastic and fertile.

As a conclusion: This hotel is wonderful. Superb rooms. A clear 4 star hotel in my view. The service is also good. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
ClaireOliver, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to note that you would recommend the Hotel as you found it wonderful and the rooms superb.

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw on the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, I am sure that other reveiwers will find it very informative and provide them excursion ideas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to dublin and the Maldron Hotel in the near future.