“Nice hotel but we had a few issues...”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #30 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 21 December 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of 1 2 night b&b + 1 dinner weekend break.
I booked the hotel a good few weeks in advance and a few days before our stay I got a call from the hotel letting us know that the resturaunt was booked out for both nights but that we would be able to have our inclusive dinner in the bar from the same menu.
I did not have an issue with that and while on the phone I enquired about parking and I was informed that there was a car park available across the road.

We arrived in Dublin at around 5PM on a Friday and we were lucky to find parking on the street outside the hotel - I didn't see any sign of a "car park across the road". Thankfully parking was free on the street Saturday and Sunday so we were able to leave the car there over the weekend.

FIrst impressions of the hotel were good, nice lobby, efficient reception staff etc. We were also told that we were upgraded to an executive room due to the fact that the resturaunt was booked out for the weekend - nice thought. While checking in we received a voucher for our inclusive dinner in the bar.

The hotel room was nice, clean and spacious with a couch, table and chairs. So no complaints there....

We went down to the bar on the Friday night to have our dinner - the bar was very busy but we managed to get a couple of stools at a high table in the middle of the bar area. I was very disappointed to discover that the inclusive dinner we were to get was going to be from the bar carvery and not from the resturaunt menu. Although the food was alright, in my opinion, a carvery dinner is not comparable to a three course resturaunt dinner and not a suitable substitute. I did complain when I was told that we would be ordering from the carvery menu and to be fair to the manager in the bar area she was very helpful e.g. offered to get us melon as a starter etc. The hotel was very busy that weekend with christmas parties and tours but if I had known this when I booked I don't think I would have stayed at the hotel. Another issue with the carvery in the bar is that there was no wine list available - just the quarter bottles of wine or wine by the glass from the bar.

Breakfast at the hotel was okay - nothing very special.

In terms of location I was quite happy with the hotel. We were attending an event in the RDS on the Saturday and Pearse St dart station was only a short walk from the hotel - about 5 minutes. I also walking into Grafton Street in about 20 minutes from the hotel.

In summary, I think our stay would have been alot better were it not for the very busy Christmas period and if the hotel staff had done a better job in terms of communicating the set-up for our inclusive dinner. The hotel is nice but I would rate it more of a three star superior standard perhaps than a four star hotel.

I would recommend the hotel if you are attending an event in the docklands area and if you get the hotel at a good rate.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
ClaireOliver, Guest Relation Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2010

Dear IrelandCorkonian,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your stay at the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, we appreciate all customer feedback as it allows us to improve our customer service which we are extremely passionate about.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,343)

Reviewed 14 December 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Maldron. Great location for the 02, very nice,clean hotel. lovely bedrooms. Will definitely stay there again next time we are in Dublin.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
ClaireOliver, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2010

Dear Vee88,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane ,I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 December 2009

We had booked a combination hotel/b&b driving package that included a car rental. When we arrived we were allowed to check in a couple of hours early which was very nice and accomodating to be fair to the hotel. But at check in I was told there was no parking facilities and furthermore the person checking us in provided no guidance as to how or where to park. Well needless to say this is disconcerting to a guest just arriving in a foreign country/busy city. I was lucky to have gotten a place to park in front of the hotel to unload baggage. Also to note there was absolutely no offer to help with the baggage. I had to grab a baggage cart by the door and unload the luggage and take it up to the room which was ok with me; but there should at least be an offer of some help. I knew I could not leave the car where it was very long so after bringing the luggage up to the room I ventured out and up the block to investigate the parking situation. There was some kind of kiosk near the corner where you could insert euro coins which I did not have because I had just arrived in the country. I had paper euros but these would not work and it did not take credit cards. In short, even if I could have paid it was a three hour max parking on the street there so I knew that would not work. I jaunted back to the hotel counter and pressed a young lady behind the counter who was more helpful than the man who had checked us in. She said there was a parking garage a couple of blocks away where we could park overnight. I was somewhat relieved. The garage was a bit hard to find and it ended up costing us 28 euros(about $43) to park there for the rest of that day and overnight. And, of course, I knew I would have to do the same thing again as the Maldron was our first and last night accomodations in Ireland. So to skip ahead to our return stay, there was no street parking and we were directed to park in the parking garage. Our return flight the next morning was at 9am from Dublin airport, about 20-30 minutes from the city. My wife and I got up at 4am and checked out of the hotel at 5:15am. I walked to the parking garage to retrieve our rental car and the garage was all locked up. Nightmare. They would not open until 7am(this is about the time we should have been arriving at the airport. In walking back to the hotel I saw a couple wheeling their luggage toward the garage. I told them it was shuttered and they were as upset as I was. In all there four couples in our situation. Over the next hour and a half we all congregated in the hotel lobby complaining to the desk staff and management to no avail. They accepted no responsibility(why did we not look at the hours posted at the garage?) Perhaps a valid point but when you are directed to such a garage by hotel staff with no mention of hours of operation a reasonable assumption is that is is a 24 hour garage, especially when there is overnight parking. There was no offer of any consolation from hotel staff or management for the entire time we all were waiting in the lobby for the garage to open up. No "I'm sorry", no eye contact, no offer of coffee or tea or rolls. (And of course we all missed the breakfast which was included in the booking because it was too early). Very, very poor. A hotel of this size that does not have parking facilities should at the very minimum have detailed information about parking in the area including name, phone number, rates, and hours of operation. We missed out flight that morning and it ended up costing us around $600 extra in airline transfer fees, another hotel night stay and restaurant costs. I have no idea what happened to the three other couples who were in the same boat. This is just plain unacceptable. I will say the breakfast provided on the morning after our first night was excellent and overall, the hotel itself is ok(although we did ask for an extra blanket at the desk the first night and never got it and the vending machines did not work at all on our second stay). In short, if you have a rental car or if you are an Irish citizen with a car and need a hotel, go elsewhere.

3  Thank rjw4488
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2015

Dear rjw4488

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane has recently re-branded as Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane. We are currently reviewing all historic reviews both positive and constructive feedback so as to enhance guest experience moving forward. We hope to see you again soon at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane and once again thank you for your contribution.

Kind regards,
Conor O’Kane

Reviewed 13 December 2009

We had a bit of a time finding the hotel. Our GPS wouldn't recognize Cardiff Lane for some reason and the map of Dublin that we had was missing some streets. Not the hotels fault, just be aware finding it may be a bit difficult. I'd suggest getting directions from the hotel prior to going just in case you need them. The hotel itself was great. Clean, warm, and great location right close to the river. They don't have parking which is a downside, but you don't really need a car in Dublin anyway. We parked on the street overnight (free) and then got up early and returned it so we didn't have to deal with parking. Breakfast was so-so. Staff was nice. The pub and restaurants had great food.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family

Dear PDXORTraveler,

I am glad to hear that you found our Hotel in the end and yes as stated the Hotel staff are happy and willing to provide directions to our Hotel.

Reviewed 9 December 2009

My wife and I recently spent five nights at the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. Our flight from JFK arrived in the early morning ( 9 am), we grabbed a taxi and went straight to the hotel. I expected that our room might not be ready, but not only did they allow us to check in early, but the gentleman upgraded our room as well. It was great to get in to the room and take a nap before we headed out.
Just about a block away is a grocery store on Grand Canal which has reasonably priced food for snacks and light meals in the room. In this same area is U2's recording studio and tribute messages on the walls around it.
The hotel is within easy walking distance of Temple Bar, Trinity College and great attractions. I never felt it was far from anything and the walk was welcome and refreshing.
The staff was first rate! They provided us with information for the area, assisted in booking our driving tour, and secured a taxi for our early morning departure that was waiting for us.
All around our experience here was great!

1  Thank Vector4530
ClaireOliver, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2009

Dear Vector4530,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff enhanced your experience by passing on their knowledge of Dublin and by being of assistance to you and your wife. Please be assured that i will pass on your kind words .

Thank you for the complimentary review and i hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the future.

Reviewed 6 December 2009

We have just returned from a weekend in Dublin with Shearings Holidays staying at the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. The hotel is in a good location and is very clean and comfortable. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from Temple Bar, it's not hilly so the walk back to the hotel at night is nice. Dublin is a fantastic place, plenty to see, though more expensive than we imagined, we wished we had been able to stay longer. We will definately return. We only had one full day in Dublin, we went to the Guinness Storehouse which was very interesting, seemed to walk for miles and shopped. We had a fantastic weekend and are looking forward to going back.

1  Thank Tracey-Steven

Dear Tracey-Steven,

It is wonderful to hear that you had a fantastic weekend in Dublin and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the near future.

KInd Regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2009

Stayed here for four nights in November, 2009 with friends. It's modern and large by European standards in my opinion. The lobby and mezzanine area has free wi-fi and 3 coin-operated computers for internet usage. The staff was friendly. However it took a while for someone to bring us more towels. Our room had a single bed and a double bed, with a sitting area. Came with a hair dryer that would turn off it it got too hot. The bathroom was nice and large and came with a large dispenser for soap/shampoo.

The location is about a 20 minute walk to the main areas: Temple bar, O'Connell street. We walked by the river most of the time. Even at 3 am we felt safe to walk back from the bars.
Around the area is a bar and small shops that sells cheap sandwiches.
Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrsenano
ClaireOliver, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2009

Dear Mrsenano,

It is with great pleasure that I note from your review that you would highly recommend our Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.