“Rudeness and Noisy”

Ranked #116 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Rudeness and Noisy”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

To the gentleman with the dog, I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, never mind your poor dog. I had a room on the 3rd floor, noisy as hell,until about 3 in the morning, did not get any sleep. My room was full of spiders, the cable TV that is advertised did not work and then when I went to report it to the Asian guy at the reception, his reply was that he did not do repairs and if I wanted to watch telly that I should go and sit tin the visitors lounge. It is not a good place to stay if you are a female on her own, dodgy people at pub downstairs and drunks loitering around the entrance. Hot and smelly and no aircon, just a tiny window that let more noise in than fresh air. I will make sure I do my homework thoroughly before I book a hotel on Booking.com

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I booked a room in this hotel on 28th August 2012 after reading on the internet that it was dog friendly. When booking with Hotels.com, I confirmed that it was dog friendly so that I could have my dog with me, otherwise I would have left her at home. I always carry bedding, bowls, towels, etc for her, and she is a very dometicated dog. I was appalled by the rudeness of the woman on reception. Okay, I'm 71, but there is nothing wrong with my eyes as she implied. First all knowledge of the booking was implied, but when she looked in the book it was there. But the rudeness when she said that we couldn't stay was beyond belief. I had travelled over from England to have my late wife's ashes interred in her family grave, so this was rather a sad time for me, and her attitude only made things worse. It has completely put me off ever going back to Dublin. Now I am having problems in getting my money back from hotel.com. If only I had known that the hotel was not dog friendly I would have left her with neighbours, but the girl at hotel.com assurred me that it was. Even so I don't think that the woman on reception should be in the hotel business.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be comfortable and at a great rate. Hotel is a little older and not as modern but that's half the charm. Found all amenities to be clean and cooked breakfast was great. Hotel is in great location with just a 10min walk to Temple Bar area. The hotel is located on a run down street but that's not the hotels fault but there is Chinatown about 5mins at the other end with great restaurants and cheap food. Would stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Worldwide
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My grown sons and I ventured to Dublin, Ireland for the Navy - Notre Dame football game, and after reviewing a number of hotels in Dublin, decided on The Gate. It is an older hotel, in an older part of town, situated literally over a pub, and backing up to several others, sharing a patio garden. We had a room on the third floor (301), which faced the street. The room was very comfortable, and spacious. The linens on the beds were fresh and clean, and although the mattresses are not new by any means, they were comfortable, and we slept well. Breakfast is included in the room rate, and we enjoyed a full Irish breakfast in the hotel's own breakfast room. With the windows open, there is some traffic noise and late night party noises on the front of the building, but nothing that kept us awake. With the large screen TV in the patio, and people from four different pubs sharing the space, rooms on the backside of the hotel probably heard a lot more noise than on the front side. Not a four star hotel, and you have to climb stairs, but it was clean; the staff were friendly, and the location was perfect.

Room Tip: Would recommend 301, although it's a triple (two double beds and a single), it is very large, an...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oldvetsailor
Tralee
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here to attend a concert in Dublin and our only requirement was a clean bed at a cheap price in a central location. We got it!
The carpet throughout is dingy and needs replacing ASAP! The bed was clean, comfortable enough but one side up against the wall - I hate that!
The en-suite shower room was adeqaute , lots of black gunk round the shower door.
Breakfast was a revelation, very friendly staff, a grand full irish breakfast with the offer of cereal too.
If all you need is a few hours to hang your head somewhere this hotel is fine. A bit noisy outside on the street during the night and the room is too small to have windows shut. The hotel is fine for one night, two nights would push me to the brink!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
co donegal
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night in june 2012, when we arrived we nearly cried... the smell of the place (cats pee) nearly made us sick! the staircase was leaning to the left and felt unsafe, carpets werent hoovered. when we got into the room, we checked the beds and the bases of both beds were covered in stains, rot and mould on the windows, sink and toilet were shakey and the bathroom door didnt close!!! staff werent very friendly either. i understand its a budget hotel but it is completely over priced for the standard of this accomodation, we paid €100 for this room for one night!!! the only thing missing was someone shooting up on the stairs!!!!!! i dont have high expectations but this place is a disgrace!! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank una b
n.ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I booked this hotel to atend a concert in Dublin.The hotel is in a great city center location just off o connell st.The rooms are large but basic and the beds are very comfortable.
They share a beer garden with two other pups so you are spoilt for choice as for which one to buy your drinks, But i quite liked Fibber Magees and it stays open quite late.
The breakfast was small but very tasty with a choice of cereal and a cooked breakfast.
I would like to mention one member of staff in particular who was on the night desk his name is Sander.To cut a long story short i thought i lost my sun glasses from my room while i was out at the concert and i went down to night desk to complain a kick a bit of noise up about it i was quite irrate but i discovered the next morning my room mate left in a safe place for me.(I felt quite a fool) Sander dealt with my unjustified complaint in a very calm and professional manner so Sander i apoligise and the next time im in Dublin i will stand you good drink.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo