“Quirky Hotel at its best!”
Review of Gate Hotel

Gate Hotel
Ranked #118 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This hotel is a great little spot if you are just looking for a bed for the night. We had a twin room that cost €55.00 and this included breakfast!!! Where else in Dublin would u get that rate on a sat night. The room was spotless and we had an ensuite bathroom which was also spotless ( check before booking as some rooms share a bathroom) . Our room was on the 3rd floor that overlooked a courtyard of pubs, which could prove noisy but didn't bother us at all. Beds were really comfortable. The stairs in this hotel lists slightly to the side when u go up(not good if u have vertigo), but after a few drinks, the stairs were perfectly straight! Staff here were very polite and friendly. I would defo stay here again.

Room Tip: Just double check if the room you have selected is en suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea O
annie99Dublin, Owner at Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

On behalf on the Management and staff at the Gate Hotel.
Thank you so much for your lovely review, we greatly appreciate this, I do hope you will stay again with us in the future, we aim to please our customer and keep the rates competitive at all times.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Good god, where do I start? First of all, location. It is right above a busy bar called Fibber Magees. This is one of Dublins oldest heavy metal bars. It is usually busy and there is live music most nights until 1 am. Thursday night however is 'new band' night and god help you if you are on the first floor, the racket goes on till 3am, and usually continues on the street for another hour or so. This, combined with the sound of Dublin Buses parked outside, starting their engines at 5:30 am means any hope of a good night sleep is out the (single glazed, wooden framed) window - especially Friday and Saturday nights. The area itself, Parnell Street, is one of the seediest and most dangerous streets in Dublin. Not even the homeless would hang around there. I'm well used to the area and would never walk around there at night. Woe betide any hapless, innocent wandering tourist.

Second, hygiene is not a priority in this place. The scent that greets you when the front door opens is reminiscent of a large wet dog. The carpets are old and filthy. Do not under any circumstances look under your bed or at your mattress as you will most likely see your lunch again. The bathroom fixtures and fittings are covered in an accumulation of mildew and that horrible black gunk that only appears after years of neglect. This place will be a real test for your immune system. The stairs and floor are, as mentioned in another review, wonky and unstable. I am unsure as to the structural integrity of the entire building. The cold tap seems unable to supply cold water, only tepid, lukewarm stuff that may or may not be supplied from the mains.

I could go on and on but suffice to say that this place is easily the worst I have ever stayed in. I will end on a positive - the breakfast is decent (although the room itself is quite shabby) and I found the staff to be very friendly (granted one of the blokes on reception can be a bit grumpy).

My advice - the Simon community (a homeless shelter) is a 5 min walk away, and they will give you a higher standard bed and breakfast for free.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor at all costs, try and get a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Piarais M

Dear Customer,
I apologise on behalf of the Gate Hotel staff and Management for any distress or discomfort caused to you. The Hotel is located in the City Centre which can cause noise problems, buses etc., There is a late bar beneath the Hotel but this is advertised on all sites and customers are informed the first floor can be noisy. The Hotel offers very competitive rates in lieu of this including full irish breakfast. While i appreciate you were unhappy during your stay, I wonder that it took so long to write the review, and should you have come to Reception there is a refund policy, and the staff would have assisted you in finding other accomadation.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here for my week in Dublin. The central location was a plus, with many tourist attractions within walking distance. The Hotel was quite old, but that was okay with me and was reflected in the room price.
Location/Getting there: 80 Parnell Street. From Dublin airport catch the 747 Bus to O'Connell street (Stop 6 Ardagh St/Upper O'Connell St). From the bus stop walk ahead to O'Connell St, turn right to see the Parnell Monument ahead of you. Walk towards the Parnell Monument. At the Parnell monument turn right into Parnell Street and it's a minute's walk to the Hotel.

There are a couple of supermarkets and a shopping centre located on Parnell St. Just leave the Hotel, turn left and walk straight ahead on Parnell Street past the monument .
The Hop on Hop off Bus is located on O'Connell Street. Grafton Street , Temple Bar precinct, National Museum and Trinity College (Book of Kells) were within walking distance.

The staff I interacted with were all friendly and helpful, answering my tourist questions and offering help.
My room was good, but faced onto Parnell Street and there was noise from late night pub patrons. The Hotel building is old but my room's facilities were good. Nothing fancy.
I used the Hotel as a base to explore Dublin and it was very good for this purpose.
I was on a tight budget and found it good value. Bear in mind the potential noise late at night, but I still managed a decent sleep every night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Azza80
Reviewed 1 October 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 28 September 2012

To the gentleman with the dog, I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, never mind your poor dog. I had a room on the 3rd floor, noisy as hell,until about 3 in the morning, did not get any sleep. My room was full of spiders, the cable TV that is advertised did not work and then when I went to report it to the Asian guy at the reception, his reply was that he did not do repairs and if I wanted to watch telly that I should go and sit tin the visitors lounge. It is not a good place to stay if you are a female on her own, dodgy people at pub downstairs and drunks loitering around the entrance. Hot and smelly and no aircon, just a tiny window that let more noise in than fresh air. I will make sure I do my homework thoroughly before I book a hotel on Booking.com

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I booked a room in this hotel on 28th August 2012 after reading on the internet that it was dog friendly. When booking with Hotels.com, I confirmed that it was dog friendly so that I could have my dog with me, otherwise I would have left her at home. I always carry bedding, bowls, towels, etc for her, and she is a very dometicated dog. I was appalled by the rudeness of the woman on reception. Okay, I'm 71, but there is nothing wrong with my eyes as she implied. First all knowledge of the booking was implied, but when she looked in the book it was there. But the rudeness when she said that we couldn't stay was beyond belief. I had travelled over from England to have my late wife's ashes interred in her family grave, so this was rather a sad time for me, and her attitude only made things worse. It has completely put me off ever going back to Dublin. Now I am having problems in getting my money back from hotel.com. If only I had known that the hotel was not dog friendly I would have left her with neighbours, but the girl at hotel.com assurred me that it was. Even so I don't think that the woman on reception should be in the hotel business.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be comfortable and at a great rate. Hotel is a little older and not as modern but that's half the charm. Found all amenities to be clean and cooked breakfast was great. Hotel is in great location with just a 10min walk to Temple Bar area. The hotel is located on a run down street but that's not the hotels fault but there is Chinatown about 5mins at the other end with great restaurants and cheap food. Would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple