“Good budget hotel”

and 1 more site!
Gate Hotel
Ranked #118 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Great hotel for a budget lovely breakfast can be noisy if on first but overall it didn't bother me too much room small but just been refurbished and nice and clean good location just off o Connell st.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brickballoon

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I am looking for a house in Dublin and decided to stay somewhere central and cheap to base myself while I looked. I found the Gate Hotel on Booking.com and it was an absolute bargain at €65 for two nights Bed and Breakfast.

I arrived and was welcomed by a lovely man and directed to my room. I had booked a single but as they had the availability they moved me to a larger room.

The room had plenty of storage and two very comfy beds. Having been travelling all day I jumped in the shower and I can honestly say it was incredible! The water pressure was superb and that is a rarity even in 4 and 5 star hotels.

I notice that some people have made comments about noise. Well it is a hotel located in the heart of a European capital city so complaining about noise says more about a reviewers stupidity than the hotel. I was on the 3rd floor and didn't experience any noise.

The next morning after another amazing shower I went down for breakfast. I was graciously welcomed by a lovely, lovely lady named Anne Marie. I took a seat and was immediately handed a menu. I had been a bit sceptical about what sort of breakfast I could expect for €30 B and B.

The breakfast was top class. Scrambled eggs that were actual eggs and not the liquid mixture that a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels use. Everything was fresh and tasty, and I was asked if I would like more or anything. The breakfast was something I would have been willing to pay €10 for in a restaurant.

Anne Marie made me feel very welcome and took the time to chat with me and ask me how my stay had been. I found out that she was the owner and I it was really nice to see someone who cared about the product they sell to the public. She told me that they had been doing a lot of renovations lately and she was looking for my feedback in order to continue to improve her business.

I always like to support independent business owners because I would like to see my money going to someone like Anne Marie instead of the likes of Jurys, where if you make a complaint or an enquiry you are dealt with by someone on minimum wage who might not necessarily care as opposed to someone who genuinely does.

Having worked in a number of hotels all over the country I can say that this hotel has a very high level of cleanliness, helpful staff, a super shower and a delicious breakfast. If you want an experience akin to the Four Season, then pay the €400 a night.

I will definitely be back, even if it is just to say hello to Anne Marie!

Room Tip: If you are a really light sleeper, then mention it at the time of booking and they will certainly do...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank MichelleR1503
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have stayed here for 2 nights (friday and saturday) and paid an aver. room rate of 40 € p.n. incl breakfast.

The room (no. 305 in the attic) was ok: spacious, yet not very bright, bathroom was ok as well, although the shower could have been with more pressure and a bit cleaner

Location: Location was great, very centrally located, 5-10 min walk from temple bar, trinity college and pedestrian zone.

Breakfast: was included. As the hotel currently renovates the breakfast room, I recevied a voucher for a fry up in a pub around the corner.

Noise: The hotel is surrounded by pubs (with garden areas). Therefore it was really noisy till 3 in the morning. I personally didn't mind as I didn't have to work the next day, but if you are noise sensitive you might want to look at a different hotel.

Overal: The hotel was not great, but given the price I paid I think it was ok. It slightly cheaper than a single room in a hostel, and therefore acceptable. However, I wouldn't have paid more for this hotel , as it is dated, it is noisy and rooms are not amazing. SO if you are on a budget, and you just need a central place to crush, go for it. Otherwise you might want to look at some alternatives.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from Temple Bar and central Dublin. Staff is somewhat friendly though on my first night of arrival I asked for directions for Temple Bar and was sent the wrong direction. I also recommend staying in one of the higher floors as the hotel has a bar on the main floor with music playing past 2:00 am. At least on the higher floors you won't hear any music, however the stairs leading up can be somewhat steep and dangerous. Overall not a bad place to stay, their complimentary breakfast and lounge are nice (only place with Wifi in the hotel is the lounge area)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed in the Gate after New Year, and was welcomed warmly by the Reception staff. I stayed in one of the refurbished third floor rooms which are excellent. At present, the hotel is undergoing a refit programme, and the same high stardards will be in the second floor rooms in early spring. Breakfast was substantial as always, served quickly. I was asked if I wanted anything many times, which was nice. If you want a friendly, value for money, central hotel, this is the one for you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ken T
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had an unexpected stay at the Gate in March 2013, thanks to poor connections by United Airlines. Always wondered who used the in-airport tourist booking services until this trip, and ended up by the luck of the draw at the Gate Hotel for a few nights. I found the hotel to be a good value for money. Based on the room rate I was not expecting much. On arrival I noted the metal bar next door and figured I was in for a few nights of not sleeping, and the tatty decor didn't raise my expectations. However, the desk staff was friendly, the room was adequate, there was tea and a kettle, and the location is pretty good. Street noise on the second floor was noticeable but not bad, and the bar's music wasn't too loud. Breakfast wasn't too bad, eggs cooked to order, and the service was pleasant.

Downsides? The place is due for an update. While it's now a non-smoking hotel now, decades of smokers have clearly left their mark. I didn't notice til later that I'd been charged in USD, without being consulted, at a pretty bad rate - if you're coming from outside the EU be sure to check on this.

Overall, though, an entirely decent stay at a decent price.

Room Tip: Streetside rooms are, unsurprisingly subject to street noise. Higher is better to remediate bar musi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ed D
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This hotel is in a great location. It is surrounded by 3 popular bars, is across the road from the ambassador and just off O connell street. The building itself is quite old and a bit worse for wear but the rooms themselves are nice and have really comfortable beds. Staff were very friendly and breakfast was great, full irish with tea or coffee and juice. The main problem with this hotel is that, due to it's location, it can be very noisy until about 2:30am. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking for a quite stay but for a lively weekend it's a great spot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends