“Absolutely terrible in every respect except location - AVOID”
Review of O'Shea's Hotel

O'Shea's Hotel
Ranked #83 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Absolutely terrible in every respect except location - AVOID”
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Booked this hotel as a two night stay for my wife and I as my wife has never been. I love Dublin and was keen to introduce my wife to it.

Unfortunately, booking this hotel was not the way to start a nice weekend away.

The Location is good, a five minutes walk from O'Connell street and fifteen to Temple bar. However two minutes from OConnell street the area goes downhill. Rundown pubs and shops were the view from my window. A window that when fully shut had a 1 cm gap up the left hand side. This did nothing to keep the noise of the streets out. And at night in that neighbourhood there was plenty of noise.including drunks shouting and even some fighting in the street.

The room itself was ghastly and in need of redecoration albeit mostly clean. Nothing like the website pictures... The furniture was old, marked and scarred but polished. The bathroom was claustrophobic and the shower was tiny. The TV was tiny and high up. A €20 deposit was required for the remote as was another €20 for the safe key.

One member of Reception was helpful and friendly the others we experienced were not. The bar staff were very rude and unhelpful (serving appeared to be a chore rather than their job). The pub itself needs to be done up. Breakfast staff were friendly and the breakfasts were good albeit a bit dry (as if they had been made and kept under a grill for too long)

Dublin itself is great but expensive for food and drink. I would recommend Dublin but AVOID this hotel. Spend an extra €20 and go somewhere nicer.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iain S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dingle, Co Kerry
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Went from Dingle to see Bruce Springsteen with a friend, we were delighted that we were getting a good rate for such a centrally-located hotel. And the location is just about all there is to recommend about this property.

Apart from one young-ish fella in the bar and one young female receptionist, the staff in this hotel are largely unbelievable. The European Cup Final was on in the bar the first night and all the tables in the front were full. However, the older guy (often mentioned in reviews of this hotel) behind the bar had to be asked several time to put the game on in the back of the bar, which has 2 large televisons. He wouldn't turn up the sound and he also refused to serve some people just because they were young, had a couple of tattoos and he didn't understand their Northern Irish accent over the noise. I then overheard one of them complain to the manger at reception, and he just said it was nothing to do with him and shunned all responsibility. We went somewhere else to watch the match.

They cleverly have bad pictures on the televisions in the rooms so you have to go to the bar and spend money. The rooms are badly decorated and designed, although I had a nice big window. The housekeeping store was next to my room and I was awoken by several female workers talking loudly for a long time outside my door. They also couldn't understand what an iron or ironing board was.The socket for my electric razor had been put so close to the side wall that I couldn't plug it in and had to shave in my friend's room. The floor of the shower was dirty.
Breakfast was ok once I had alerted the waitress that I'd been there for 5 minutes. Had to steal milk, sugar, salt and pepper from another table. The fried breakfast was enjoyed my my friend, I couldn't eat mine because of my hangover. No-one's fault but my own.
The night porter was wearing a tracksuit and a permanent look of hatred, although he did give us late drinks.
We were in Dublin for footy, craic and rock and roll and we were always going to have a great time, which we sure did. We didn't really care about any of the problems and just laughed about it at the time. However, when I got back to Dingle and my job as assistant manager of a hotel, I realised just what an aberration of customer care I had experienced. If you are looking for a nice place to stay in Dublin, pay the extra and stay anywhere else.

I'm only giving the 2 rating and not 1 because I had such a great time everywhere else in Dublin. The Boss rocked the RDS.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank dingledavid

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

DERRY
Reviewed 31 May 2008

Went to Dublin for the Celine Dion Concert, 30th May 2008.
When we booked the room via telephoning the hotel directly, we were told that we could book the last double room, so we booked this DOUBLE ROOM, and could'nt wait to go to Dublin for the weekend. When we arrived we got booked in and went to our room, what we got was a dreadful, depressing old room at the back of the hotel, with 3 single beds, when I went to reception to ask why we have 3 single beds in our room and if we could get moved to a double room, I was told, no sorry this is all we have left and if you don't like it then we will give you your money back. Staff not very helpful at all. With all the hotels and the b&b's booked out, we decided to stay. The room was terrible, the unsuite was disgusting, the decor was shabby and we had a small portable t.v. which only had 1 channel working - no satellite tv. We went to the bar later in the hotel and found the staff very nasty and well past there sell by date. We had 1 drink in the place and went out to somewere nice and welcoming. This place should not be called a hotel, not even a motel, it's simply a deceiving small rough bar with rooms above it, I honestly do not know how the tourist boards have approved this place. Would never go back even for a drink.
Besides all that the concert was excellent..

• Liked — getting out of it
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank johnderryjmcgderry
ireland
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I stayed here with 4 girls around xmas time. The place is simply budget accomodation, and the website is decieving, It is in a perfect location as its very central. However the maids came into our room very early the next day, and basically started cleaning around us as we were packing to go which was really rude and they literally rushed us out of the room. Rooms okay. cleanish, bathroom not the best, very small. But if you are staying for a night or two and sight seeing or will be out and about alot then its fine.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank hulahyla
East Lothian, Scotland
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Went here with my husband and another couple for a 2 night stay. Its located off O'Connell street but the street its in ie Talbot Street dirty and noisy. It takes only 10 mins though to get to the Temple bar area. We got a 3rd floor room with a large bathroom with a window. The rooms have been refurbished and are comfortable. You also have a hairdryer which was unusual for a 2*. With the windows open its so noisy so I would have not liked a room on a lower floor. The bar area is big and has Irish music every night. It all shuts up at 12.30ish so if you want a later drink than that you have to go to a nightclub. We were not impressed with the breakfasts very dried up. The hotel was average but would not book there again.

I would recommend the Arlington hotel. Its brilliant and we went there 3 times over the weekend. The food, music and atmosphere all what you want . We found a recently opened restaurant called the Millstone at Dame Street. The food was superior and if you go before 7.30pm you get a 3 course for 20 euros, great value. Do the bus trip and visit the Guinness factory.

• Disliked — Situated on a noisy road
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda028
AYR
Reviewed 13 October 2007

thank goodness it was only 2 days here if i had seen the room i would never had paid beforehand carpets not hoovered shower needed a good clean o dont drop the soap no room to bend down for it i am a size 14 if you r larger than this forget having a shower ring marks on the furniture room smelled milk portions sour here with my mother who was upset about the room we complained got moved to another room a bit better but not worth the money more like a hostel lifts are very tiny food good staff not very friendly bar manager not a nice person well i think he was the manager older than other staff never a smile on his face take heed of this review

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank AyrApple
Cork
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Stayed at this hotel with friends while in Dublin for a concert. We booked well in advance and the price was quite reasonable - now I know why. Check in time at the hotel is 2 p.m., we arrived early and were directed to the bar while we waited for our rooms. The male bar staff were very pleasant, however, the female staff were extremely rude. The lift is quite small - it says it accomodates 4 people presumably that's two adults and two children. The carpet on the stairs is well worn and not the cleanest. Our rooms were on the fourth floor and were tiny. The bathroom was filthy, the shower was absolutely stomach turning. The manager was also very rude although it was the restaurant staff who took the biscuit. One waitress in particular was rude beyond belief and needless to say we didn't leave a tip - the first time any of us had done this anywhere we had eaten. The bar was very busy on the Saturday night and the music was brilliant and very enjoyable and probably the only good thing about our stay. Again the restaurant staff were extremely rude at breakfast and not just to our table. All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody. Whilst the property is very well located 5 minutes walk to O'Connell Street I'd pay the extra money to stay elsewhere for cleanliness and friendly staff.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank HM3510