“Nothing special but did the job.”
Review of The Croke Park

The Croke Park
Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Leeds
“Nothing special but did the job.”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We chose this hotel because of the "stay 3 nights, pay for 2" deal. This was one of the cheapest options with a decent rating for staying in Dublin.

We found the location to be excellent. Without paying the city centre prices, it was a simple walk to the top of O'Connell street and Temple Bar; we felt no need to rely on public transport at any point. It was a 20 Euro taxi from the airport, and right next to the Croke Park Stadium, which offers a landmark as well as an interesting tour (regardless of your interest or knowledge of Gaelic Sports).

The hotel itself was well designed and well maintained, although we found it was not up to 4 star standards throughout the hotel room. The plug hole kept making slurping noises at random intervals and shower knobs had bits missing. The room was a good size and for the most part, very well kept.

The major issue we had with the hotel was the unfriendly and often condescending staff. There was one member of staff who was very helpful, but the others appeared quite patronising. I cannot fault the results, but their attitude did not make us feel welcome to be there. They had informed us on check-in that the price had included breakfast, but the next morning that was not the case and yet they sat us down without explaining if we did have to pay or if they had resolved the matter. As it happened, they had expected us to pay without informing us, which we felt was quite presumptuous and arrogant.

I'd say it was a case of the hotel striving to be 5 star with a pretentious attitude, yet the prices and standards did not reflect this and not all of the customers will have money to burn. Despite the general unfriendliness, the hotel itself was ideal for a city break and was excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate O
CrokePark_Manager, Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay at the Croke Park Hotel. I was most disappointed to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay with us and would gladly welcome the opportunity to discuss these in more detail.

As a member of The Doyle Collection, our Proud values are that we meet every guest with a smile, a greeting and an enquiry, we care about the well-being of our guests and actively look for opportunities of how to enhance their experience. I would like to reassure you that we do indeed treat all guests individually and try to meet their individual requirements and expectations, unfortunately on this occasion we failed. I can thus personally assure you that the constructive feedback you have provided us will definitely assist my team in becoming better at what we do

Our aim at The Croke Park Hotel is to consistently ensure that we surpass our guest expectations, but it would seem on this occasion we failed, and for this I sincerely apologise. We strive to provide our guests with memorable luxury experiences, but it appears your stay with us was memorable for the wrong reasons.

I look forward to hopefully being able to personally discuss your stay in more detail.

Warmest Regards

russell_hadley@doylecollection.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just had one night in the hotel Saturday 13th October and this is my fourth time to stay at the Croke Park and once again I can't fault the place. Easy to get to (coming from the North or the airport if you fly into Dublin), convenient underground carpark with lift to reception. Fast check in with helpful staff who have good local knowledge. Rooms spacious and clean, we had a triple room and it was massive with 3 large beds and a bathroom with seperate bath and double shower which was lovely.
The hotel is a bit out of the way but it makes up for it in standard. We walked into Dublin centre on Saturday afternoon (it was a warm sunny day) and it took about 20 mintues to O'Cconnel St. Bus back out No 11 is €1.40 and we got off at Quinns pub on the Drumcondra road about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Taxis from the hotel are circa €10 into town and we used these at night time. Breakfast was great in the morning, full selection of cooked and continental and very good indeed. Will definatley return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank happyholiday40559
It gave me great pleasure to read your review, thank you so much and I am delighted to hear that we continue to provide a service that you enjoy throughout the hotel. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the rest of my team and I`m sure they will be very appreciative.

I hope that we will be welcoming you back very soon, please let me know if I can help with future reservations or in any other way.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 14 October 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Staff was warm and friendly and very helpful as well. Room was spacious, quiet and immaculate. We stayed on the executive floor and had a nice continental breakfast. There is a refrigerator stocked with water and fruit drinks for the guests as well.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review on trip advisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and please let me know of any future visits to Dublin - I would be only too happy to look after your reservation needs.

Thank you once again and I look forward welcoming you back to The Croke Park Hotel.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed in the hotel earlier this year. Its a very nice hotel with good facilities and great choice and variety for breakfast. The only downside I have to mention is that I wish the hotel had been sign posted better as I found it difficult to find even though I had a fair knowledge of the area. Also I think hotel should have some information in rooms relating to public transport connections near the hotel as taxis in Dublin tend to be expensive. Also be aware of huge crowds on days when Croke Park stadium is in use!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ashy12348
Thank you for once again choosing The Croke Park Hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

As is the case with all businesses, the greatest advertising we can aspire to is that of word-of-mouth from satisfied customers. Our guest feedback is very important to the overall running of our hotel and affords me the opportunity of reviewing and improving the hotel’s facilities and service. I am also delighted to inform you, that we are currently in negotations with the local City Council for permission to place additional road signage and hope to receive approval for this from them. I can thus personally assure you that the feedback you have provided us will definitely assist my team in becoming better at what we do.

We look forward to your return.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I spent 13 day here very recently. The place is immaculate, very well run and staffed by terrific, upbeat and very helpful people. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with tea/coffee/toast delivered to your table by servers. My room faced the front of the hotel but was very quiet at night. The hotel's location was distant for me to walk to the tourist area of 'downtown' Dublin. But, then again, I knew this before I booked. and I am not able to walk long distances. Taxis, for me, were a reasonable option, and that's what I used. I give this fine hotel a gold star and an 'excellent' rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side that faces the stream.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I cannot thank you enough for your kind review. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and everything was in perfect order. It means a great deal to me and the team to read such good reviews.

Please feel free and visit your home away from home at any time!

It would be a pleasure to personally look after any further bookings.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

We found the Croke Park Hotel from checking reviews on Trip Advisor and couldn't be more pleased. We had a very modern, quiet, well-appointed room with a king-size bed that was particularly comfortable and enjoyed both a tasty dinner and a generous breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Although the location is adjacent to a large stadium we had some difficulty in finding the hotel in our rental car but after stopping for directions from local residents were delighted to find that the hotel had good, easily accessible parking. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Although it was our last night in Ireland we left looking forward to returning.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ottawans

northern ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2012

It is so important to let people who do a fantastic job know that they do just that! At the risk of sounding repetitive, my husband and I have just returned from this brilliant hotel again! The thing is - we keep trying other places for variety and to be honest they just pale by comparison to the Croke Park and its fabulous staff and surroundings!!!! We just gravitate back each time - The room we stayed in was sparkling clean as usual - in fact, so clean that I thought it newly decorated and it wasn't - their standards are so high that this is the norm there. No - I don't have shares in the place!! We have stayed in cities all over the world, ie Paris, London, Edinburgh, Glasgow ..... This is easily the best we've ever experienced. See our earlier reviews, I'd have said it was impossible to improve on what they'd already offered but somehow they just go from strength to strength. There's a warmth and familiarity at the Croke Park and to be honest, I think its largely due to the fabulous staff who take their job very seriously and although their schedules are hectic, they still have time for pleasantries. All room standards are excellent, I'd particularly recommend you stay deluxe - you have a bed turn down service, luxury sweets by the bed, luxury lavender hotwater bottles, fluffy robes and slippers! The food is excellent and as I have a Vegan diet it was no trouble catering for me in again and again! - something which I can tell you is not the norm ... I was even offered Soya Milk at breakfast and I didn't even have to ask for it!! If you are going to Dublin and haven't already been here just go - It's everything I've said and more - You won't be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room!! - and we particularly love the balcony rooms with a view of the Croke Park...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank p0part
It’s very kind of you to take the time to once again share your positive comments with your fellow travellers.

I was delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable stay and I will be sharing your kind comments with my team. I know how pleased everyone will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an exceptional experience have been appreciated.

I would like to thank you in advance for recommending us to your friends and family and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Croke Park Hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards