“Fantastic! Wouldn't even think about going anywhere else next time!”
Review of The Croke Park

The Croke Park
Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Darlington/UK
“Fantastic! Wouldn't even think about going anywhere else next time!”
Reviewed 7 January 2010

This hotel exceeded all of our expectations on every level. The hotel was a wow from the moment we walked into reception. We paid nothing compared to what I would say it was worth. £130 for 2 nights! -Fab!
The room was lovely, lots of extras and above and beyonds! Bathroom immaculate, stand alone shower - big enough for 2 and then a bath as well! Nice to have both, but stand alone shower was amazing to have!
Bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on!! The sheets and cushions - fabulous!
Service was great
We couldn't check in straight away so we went to the bar, which is fab! we had lunch - simple food it might seem but absolutely delicious! Nice sparkly wine to top it off!
Would go again without hesitation! Best hotel I've stayed in, and the price just makes it even better!!
Little walk to town centre, but only 10 minutes!! Got a taxi back simply cos we got lost!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HayleyBell87
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
Dear HayleyBell87,

Thank you for your kind review.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Croke Park.

edward_stephenson@doylecollection.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Stayed in Croke park hotel for one night in June. Was pleasently surprised when we checked in. Lobby was modern and attractive. Rooms were also great - modern and very clean - a reasonable size too. Parking was included and we got a great deal booking through expedia - cheaper than the hotel website. Some nice touches like a warm towel to freshen up when you check in and a bottle of water when you check out.

Food was also excellent. Weather was awful when we visited so we had both lunch and dinner here - both meals were really good - only downside was the usual hotel trait of charging extortianate prices for soft drinks.

Not close enough to comfortably walk into the city centre, but you can catch a bus at the end of the road - ~5 mins by bus into city centre. However, the location is obviously great if you are heading to a game of hurling (or football). Good atmosphere in the hotel before the game with people calling in for a bite to eat and/or a drink.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank N_Antrim_Journeyman
Dear N_Antrim_Journeyman,

I am grateful for your kind feedback on the hotel. Being located at Croke Park Stadium is the ultimate convenience and we are also well positioned for the O2 arena (formally the Point) and the new Grand Canal Theatre. See our website for attractive packages for events at all 3 venues.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Location wise 20 mins walking distance from city centre

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2010

This place was disappointing and it's good to see its Tripadvisor rating has dropped in recent weeks.
It's worth staying here for the price, but that's about it.
Firstly, the area is bad. It's okay during the day, when you can walk into town in about 20 minutes, but we didn't risk it at night. It's quite dark and grim and uninviting. It also lacks things like grocery stores and off-licences, so it's annoying having to pay hotel prices for snacks, drinks, etc. On that subject, DON'T order room service. It is of a ridiculously-low quality. I also didn't like paying a €5 "tray charge" on top of the over-priced food.
The rooms are nice and big and look like they were refurbished about five years ago. However, they are absolutely freezing. The AC/heating was useless. We called staff to ask for another duvet and after about 90 minutes they showed up to inform us: "the heating is on its highest setting". We asked them again for a duvet, waited a while, asked again, until finally we were brought an oil heater. Adding to my temperature-related frustration were the lukewarm showers.
The fridge in the room was loaded with the usual mini-bar stuff, however, upon removing these to put in my own store-bought drinks, I set off the sensors and was automatically charged by the hotel - not on! These were taken off the bill at chekc-out, but I expect to be able to use a fridge in my hotel room.
When booking, I arranged flowers and champagne (at a cost of €100) in the room to surprise my girlfriend on her birthday. When we checked in, staff told me the flowers hadn't been delivered yet and they should be sent up to our room in an hour. After waiting patiently for nearly four hours I rang the front desk and told them to forget about it. They were apologetic and offered me the champagne complimentary. That helped ease my frustration. However, a sparkling bottle of Italian wine is not champagne, and I would have been very angry to have paid €50 for it.
We had a continental breakfast included in the room price. We didn't upgrade to the full Irish, because it looked awful. Each of our four mornings at the hotel, staff were confused about our breakfast inclusions. They even tried to charge us, despite it being included in the room price and when we checked out, front desk staff AGAIN tried to charge us for breakfasts.
Other gripes with Croke Park include the sub-zero temperatures and inoperable equipment in the fitness suite, and the single-working computer terminal in the lobby, which regularly had to be unlocked by staff.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BarnsburyBlake
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, 22 February 2010
Dear BarnsburyBlake,

Thank you for your review and apologies for the level of service your experienced. Suffice it to say that the matters you have raised have been attended to. Obviously I would not entice other tripadvisor users to stay elsewhere and would like to point out that there are a wide selection of grocery stores and off-licences on Drumcondra Road within a five minute walk of the hotel. The mini bar is programmed with sensors like any modern minibar however should you remove items in error or out of curiosity the charge is adjusted without quibble. The fitness centre is fully functional as it always is so I am somewhat confused as to what difficulty you experienced here. Nothwithstanding the aforementioned it is obvious you had a poor stay at the hotel and I would be obliged if you would contact me directly if and when you are next in Dublin and I will ensure that all hospitalities are extended to you,

Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Great hotel and the staff were all nice. Although the website says it is a 15 minute walk to the city centre, it is a 35 minute walk to Temple Bar / good shopping areas which on a rainy day is not pleasant!
Restaurant and bar are great. Were not impressed with the 5 euro per tray extra for room service.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear GinnyOZ,

Thank you for your review. The distance from the hotel to the Mary Street/Henry Street shopping areas is a 12- 15 minute walk/stroll. For the less energetic we provide a complimentary shuttle to the city centre Monday to Friday from 7am to 9am and finally for the sporty amongst you we provide complimentary his and hers bicycles with our compliments. A taxi ride costs approximately €7 to €10 depending on your destination.
I hope to welcome you back some time in the future. Make sure to contact me directly.

Wexford
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I stayed in the hotel as we had our office Christmas Party. I thought the staff were very pleasant and it was nice to have a smile from the staff. The rooms were lovely, comfortable and clean. We ate in the restaurant that night but the service was pretty bad. We had 5 tables and the service was really slow between meals, the food was cold by the time it got to us, and dessert was melted by the time it got to us (for those who had ice cream). I ordered my usual drink from the bar and it was gone off by one month and the second drink was also gone off by about 4 months which is not good for the stomach. I was also in there bar last October and the exact same thing happened with the drink. There was a mini fridge in the room and drinks were also gone off by months in them. I was disappointed by this one thing but it wouldn't stop me from staying there again as the staff were really pleasant the rooms were lovely plus there is a really nice atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2009
Dear gypseydevil,

Thank you for the review and please accept my apologies for the service levels you received. This is not our normal standard and suffice it to say the matters you have highlighted have been addressed. Kindly contact me when next staying in Dublin and will ensure all hospitalities are extended to you.

Westmeath
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I booked this hotel based solely on the reviews I read on trip advisor and i was not disappointed.
The lobby and reception area looksvery nice and check in was speedy & efficient.
Our room was a good average sized room. With a very comfortable bed. Rooms had a good supply of tea & coffee which was replenished daily and a mini bar, internet access & an iron & ironing board all standard in rooms.
I was most impressed with the bathroom. Separate bath & shower, a huge mirror with lots of space and good quality shampoo, conditioner & shower gels.
Excellent breakfast. Buffet breakfast, all piping hot with a very good selection of both cooked and continental breakfasts.
I wouldn't think that this hotel is walking distance from the city unless your feeling energetic. We travelled by taxi and paid about €10 to get from the hotel to Trinity College.
My other half thought the bar lacked atmosphere on the Friday night of our stay but we were staying here on a weekend when there were no croke park matches on and October isn't peak holiday time.

I booked the hotel over the phone and got a very good deal on two nights with breakfast, parking & late check out.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to stay here when i'm next staying in Dublin.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple