“Very Impressive Hotel”
Review of The Croke Park

The Croke Park
Ranked #5 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 18 January 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night, our first night in Dublin. Our flight arrived in Dublin at 9 a.m., and we took a cab straight to the hotel, hoping they'd let us drop off our luggage, but they allowed us to check in immediately to an available room. The room was clean and spacious, and the bathroom had a full tub. I would highly recommend this hotel for a peaceful, comfortable stay a little way from the heart of the city.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anana216
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2010

Dear anana216,

Thank you for your kind review.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Croke Park.

There are newer reviews for The Croke Park

Reviewed 16 January 2010

My family and I spent our last night of a ten day trip in Ireland at the Croke Park Hotel. We happened to pick the worst week of weather Ireland has had in 47 years for our holiday. When we arrived we were met with warm cloths and hot chocolate. The staff, service and accomadations were the best I have ever had. We spent an enjoyable evening winding down after traveling from Cork in less than ideal conditions. This stay will be the one I judge all others by, you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mickstang

Dear micksatng,

I am grateful for your kind feedback on the hotel. Those hot chocolates worked a treat during the snow!

Reviewed 11 January 2010

Lovely room, great reasonable food, excellent staff who let me keep my car in the car park for an addtional night free of charge when I was nervous to drive a long distance in the worst night of snow for years. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Dear MorrisseyNavan,

Thank you for your kind feedback on the hotel.

Reviewed 7 January 2010

This hotel exceeded all of our expectations on every level. The hotel was a wow from the moment we walked into reception. We paid nothing compared to what I would say it was worth. £130 for 2 nights! -Fab!
The room was lovely, lots of extras and above and beyonds! Bathroom immaculate, stand alone shower - big enough for 2 and then a bath as well! Nice to have both, but stand alone shower was amazing to have!
Bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on!! The sheets and cushions - fabulous!
Service was great
We couldn't check in straight away so we went to the bar, which is fab! we had lunch - simple food it might seem but absolutely delicious! Nice sparkly wine to top it off!
Would go again without hesitation! Best hotel I've stayed in, and the price just makes it even better!!
Little walk to town centre, but only 10 minutes!! Got a taxi back simply cos we got lost!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HayleyBell87

Dear HayleyBell87,

Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 7 January 2010

Stayed in Croke park hotel for one night in June. Was pleasently surprised when we checked in. Lobby was modern and attractive. Rooms were also great - modern and very clean - a reasonable size too. Parking was included and we got a great deal booking through expedia - cheaper than the hotel website. Some nice touches like a warm towel to freshen up when you check in and a bottle of water when you check out.

Food was also excellent. Weather was awful when we visited so we had both lunch and dinner here - both meals were really good - only downside was the usual hotel trait of charging extortianate prices for soft drinks.

Not close enough to comfortably walk into the city centre, but you can catch a bus at the end of the road - ~5 mins by bus into city centre. However, the location is obviously great if you are heading to a game of hurling (or football). Good atmosphere in the hotel before the game with people calling in for a bite to eat and/or a drink.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N_Antrim_Journeyman

Dear N_Antrim_Journeyman,

I am grateful for your kind feedback on the hotel. Being located at Croke Park Stadium is the ultimate convenience and we are also well positioned for the O2 arena (formally the Point) and the new Grand Canal Theatre. See our website for attractive packages for events at all 3 venues.

Reviewed 6 January 2010

Location wise 20 mins walking distance from city centre

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2010

This place was disappointing and it's good to see its Tripadvisor rating has dropped in recent weeks.
It's worth staying here for the price, but that's about it.
Firstly, the area is bad. It's okay during the day, when you can walk into town in about 20 minutes, but we didn't risk it at night. It's quite dark and grim and uninviting. It also lacks things like grocery stores and off-licences, so it's annoying having to pay hotel prices for snacks, drinks, etc. On that subject, DON'T order room service. It is of a ridiculously-low quality. I also didn't like paying a €5 "tray charge" on top of the over-priced food.
The rooms are nice and big and look like they were refurbished about five years ago. However, they are absolutely freezing. The AC/heating was useless. We called staff to ask for another duvet and after about 90 minutes they showed up to inform us: "the heating is on its highest setting". We asked them again for a duvet, waited a while, asked again, until finally we were brought an oil heater. Adding to my temperature-related frustration were the lukewarm showers.
The fridge in the room was loaded with the usual mini-bar stuff, however, upon removing these to put in my own store-bought drinks, I set off the sensors and was automatically charged by the hotel - not on! These were taken off the bill at chekc-out, but I expect to be able to use a fridge in my hotel room.
When booking, I arranged flowers and champagne (at a cost of €100) in the room to surprise my girlfriend on her birthday. When we checked in, staff told me the flowers hadn't been delivered yet and they should be sent up to our room in an hour. After waiting patiently for nearly four hours I rang the front desk and told them to forget about it. They were apologetic and offered me the champagne complimentary. That helped ease my frustration. However, a sparkling bottle of Italian wine is not champagne, and I would have been very angry to have paid €50 for it.
We had a continental breakfast included in the room price. We didn't upgrade to the full Irish, because it looked awful. Each of our four mornings at the hotel, staff were confused about our breakfast inclusions. They even tried to charge us, despite it being included in the room price and when we checked out, front desk staff AGAIN tried to charge us for breakfasts.
Other gripes with Croke Park include the sub-zero temperatures and inoperable equipment in the fitness suite, and the single-working computer terminal in the lobby, which regularly had to be unlocked by staff.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarnsburyBlake
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2010

Dear BarnsburyBlake,

Thank you for your review and apologies for the level of service your experienced. Suffice it to say that the matters you have raised have been attended to. Obviously I would not entice other tripadvisor users to stay elsewhere and would like to point out that there are a wide selection of grocery stores and off-licences on Drumcondra Road within a five minute walk of the hotel. The mini bar is programmed with sensors like any modern minibar however should you remove items in error or out of curiosity the charge is adjusted without quibble. The fitness centre is fully functional as it always is so I am somewhat confused as to what difficulty you experienced here. Nothwithstanding the aforementioned it is obvious you had a poor stay at the hotel and I would be obliged if you would contact me directly if and when you are next in Dublin and I will ensure that all hospitalities are extended to you,