“great hotel, great staff, great food, great ambience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Croke Park

The Croke Park
Ranked #6 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
accrington
“great hotel, great staff, great food, great ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Once inside the hotel, everything about it is top class! The staff are so helpful, obliging and efficient! I experienced an issue with air-con in my room which was addressed straightaway and I returned to my room to find a note from the duty manager and some complimentary chocs - a lovely touch! A further minor problem one of our party encountered led to her being given another room within 10 mins of alerting reception - and this was about 1 o'clock in the morning!
Excellent breakfast and excellent food in the restaurant - full marks to the chef and his staff!
A really friendly atmosphere and staff who seem to enjoy their work and take pride in it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

I must admit, I used to stay here all the time on business 4/5 years ago when the hotel wasnt long opened, so coming back and paying my own money to stay here should tell you something.

Although the name has changed I didnt really notice much difference, I even recognised many of the staff - always a good sign. (Trying to be a bit more up-market by hiding the Jury's name I think)

The rooms are all excellent, but if you can pay the extra money for the fouth floor, do it - and if possible get a room with a view of the canal. Whatever you do dont accept a room overlooking the courtyard especially if there is anything on at Croke Park!

All in all was lovely to be back in Dublin and lovely to be back at The Croke Park.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
AlanSmullen, Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, 5 September 2010
Dear DubaiWeegie,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I welcome your kind comments which are incredibly encouraging and greatly appreciated. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed your return to Croke Park after such a long time. We strive to deliver exceptional customer service and it made me proud to read that we achieved this during your stay.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Alan Smullen
Hotel Manager

The Croke Park Hotel
A member of The Doyle Collection
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

we had a wonderful weekend break at modern croke park hotel, 20 mins taxi from airport, situated opposite the magnificent 80000 seater croke park stadium,where we saw the semi-final of the all-ireland gaelic football match last sunday. Atmosphere was cracking,craic great and Guinness top notch on terrace bar. the Baristo bistro is very good value with staff quick, courteous and attentive,likewise reception and knowledgeable concierge.The superior room was nicely furnished with immaculate shower/ bath and satellite tv too. We had an all- in price for 194 euros for 2 persons for 2 nights ,one on DBB and one on BB.20 mins walk to dublin centre,bus nearby. Taxi to airport 20 euros. And take the GAA stadium tour-a revealing Irish history lesson too. Go now! Ryanair to/from Edinburgh was on time, but Micheal O'Leary's planes depart from satellite extension gate 100-120, a long 15 mins travelator plus walk from security check..!Thanks trip advisor-this was the best bargain break we have had! ,

Dear ewenwatt,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Your kind comments regarding the service you recieved during your stay are great to read. Our aim is to provide highly individual luxury experiences to our guests, and it made me proud to read that we succeeded in delivering this to you.

The All Ireland semi final day was indeed an exciting day with Croke Park at full capacity, I hope it added to a memorable visit to Dublin for you.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to welcoming you back to Croke Park.

Yours sincerely,

Alan Smullen
Hotel Manager

The Croke Park Hotel
A member of The Doyle Collection
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Croke Park Hotel from 29th-31st August 2010 during our four day break to dublin. We had both read some fantastic reviews about the hotel and we were both very much looking forward to our stay as the highlight of our trip. However, we left midday on the Tuesday feeling somewhat a little let down by our experience and feeling there are other hotels in the city that can provide the same experience (if not better) for a much more cost effective price.

Firstly, we arrived at the hotel to a large number of people that were obvioulsy there to watch the Rugby match that afternoon at Croke Park. We were greeted by steel railings around the entrance and two security guards that stated we were only allowed entrance if we were checking in. The lobby was extremely busy, however we managed to get to the reception desk to check in. We did not receive our complimentary hot towels from the staff behind the reception but did not complain and headed straight for our room. The presence of the supporters was clearly still evident later that evening as we were still being served with plastic cups at 10.00pm!

We stayed in room 337 as part of the Travel Zoo offer. Overall, the room was very nice but personally I considered the beds to be very stiff and woke each morning with an aching back. This wasn't helped any further by the dodgy shower in the room. The shower cubicle overall is lovely, very modern, contemporary and stylish but this was somewhat marred by the amount of water which poured down the back of the shower head and each time flooded the bathroom floor. We had to use two hand towels to mop this up each time and the floor was still sodden. The shower head itself had a grey rubber seal that had come away from the fitting and caused the water to flow down the glass shower door and down the gap at the bottom. The door itself could not be opened unless you put your full weight behind it. Very dangerous with the door being glass but all in all just something you just don't want to worry about.

Our complimentary robes were taken away for some reason after the first night when we had'nt even used them, much to my girlfriends dismay. However, the matching complimentary slippers had been left in the room but they just seemed a little pointless on there own.

The room service I found to be very confusing. The first night we ordered some dinner, which arrived within 20mins and delievered by a very polite gentleman. He asked whether I wanted to pay now or charge the meal to my room and due to the convenience I charged the meal to our room as our credit card details had already been left at reception. On the 2nd night, we arrived back at the hotel shortly after 1am and rang room service for a bottle of wine. Our first request of Rose wine was not available (well it was as half a bottle) so we opted for a bottle of white which came around ten mins later. We were told on this occasion we could not charge the item to our room so I had to pay in cash in person. The lady who delivered the wine had to go back to reception for some change and bring it back to us, which I found highly inconvenient and unecessary.

I'm not surprised the breakfast is free with the offer; breakfast time reminded me a bit like an all you can eat buffet. Everything is put is tins with lids over and you just help yourself, which is replenished every now and again by the chefs. Again it was just dissapointing.

On the day we were departing, a bill was pushed under our door which I found to be a little in-personal. The bill included the price for the stay, our room and more surprisingly a number of items that we did not consume from the mini-bar. This was corrected at reception, however, the mistake is probably due to the very very clumsy mini-bar door which would not open. Again, just not what you expect from a so called 'top-class' hotel.

Overall, the hotel is very nice, is in an excellent location but I'am afraid it doesn't provide you with that little extra that you look for especially on your holiday. Its worth the visit with the offer but I would not pay the usual full price for a stay.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

This was a long weekend stay, bought through Travelzoo. Amazing value for money we were upgraded to a lovely room on the 4th floor with the use of the executive lounge, champagne and strawberries in the room, complimentary drinks each evening and a complimentary 3 course meal on one evening. A big 6foot bed which was very, very comfortable, squashy pillows and no room next door noise or road noise from outside which made coming home to the room brilliant after a long day exploring beautiful Dublin.
We really enjoyed this hotel, both breakfast and dinner were delicious and huge portions of food, the smoked salmon starter was a meal in itself. The room was big, very clean with an interesting view. The staff were friendly and although the semi finals of the Gaelic football were on during our stay and there were lots of supporters staying at the hotel the atmosphere was great and really buzzing and we could not hear the celebrations in our room.
The only drawback is the hotels location, a good 15 minute walk from the city centre and not in the best part of Dublin BUT this did not stop our enjoyment and would not stop us returning. It would be great if the The Doyle Collection management could persuade Dublin bus company to stop nearer the hotel and include this area in their bus maps. We caught the Airlink bus from the airport with the Freedom 72 hour bus pass which was brilliant and a great way to see Dublin. Much better value than getting taxi's.
Thanks Croke Park for a lovely weekend.

n.ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed in the hotel for the gaa semi final for one night. We got checked in and the room was lovely. The hotel itself and the rooms are spotless and very well laid out!robes and slippers were laid out on the bed for us on arrival along with chocolates on the bed which was a nice touch. Also the hotel has the gaelic theme running throughout with many pictures of past matches and player profiles and portraits running throughout which was interesting. The hotel was very busy match day but a great atmosphere!the only downside was that there were security at the front door of the hotel and although i stated we were stayin in the hotel and wanted up to our rooms we were told we had to go around the back through the bar to get in to the lounge to get to our rooms which is pretty silly considering the bar was packed!we had a very peaceful nights sleep and never heard any noise from the bar or passing trains whatsoever!we went down for breakfast the next morning which was tasty, however there were a few issues. Firstly there were no bowls for fruit or cereal i asked one of the staff whose reply was a grunt. Another guest then told me they'd asked for bowls ten minutes ago so we waited and waited and waited.Fianlly they came out, however they were roasting so cereal out ofn a roasting bowl wasn't very appealing.Next they ran out of milk, mushrooms, bacon etc maybe better management is needed. The staff are mixed (irish and eastern european) the language barrier is a problem as when one of our party asked if there were any more danish pastries (they'd ran out again) we were told no by a very unfriendly man whose english wasn't good, only two seconds later for an irish staff member to bring out a huge bowl of pastries!The food itself was lovely very tasty and good selection. All in all a beautiful, clean hotel in a great location with great food great and great location-only thing that let it down was ignorant and unhelpful eastern european workers. Tip employ more irish workers as those working in the hotel were very friendly and helpful and the fact they could communicate unlike the others was a plus.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank cc25N_ireland
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

I stayed under the Travel Zoo special. The rate was great! The hotel caters to tour bus business and budget travelers, neither of which is normally me! The lobby area is very loud and busy with all of the bus travelers and families with children.

Michael at the reception desk in the afternoons and evenings is quite the nice person. He is extremely helpful. It is clear he truly cares guests are happy.

The staff in the lounge is excellent. They are just a bunch of nice, young men who help each other with each table to be sure all food is delivered immediately and nobody has an empty glass. They are a pleasure!

The breakfast buffet is not so good. The food, marginal. The restaurant staff, excellent.

Housekeeping finishes at noon. Each day I found a note under my door stating they could not service my room because I had the "do not disturb" sign out. I think noon is quite early for a hotel to stop servicing rooms when guests with jet lag may like to sleep a little later!

The location is UGLY! The stadium is right across the street. The neighborhood not pretty either. From the lounge it is possible to see a building with razor wire and bars on it. Not exactly where I would like to stay under normal circumstances. There must have been problems at some point because the hotel is full of security cameras and a card key is needed to get the elevator to work.

Concierge I would say is what I would expect at a Motel 6, but in fairness, Dublin just lacks good tourist services. The concierge recommended the "Hop on Hop off" bus for a city tour. It moves like a snail and takes 15 minutes to go between very close stops because so many people are constantly getting on and off. Not a good tour at all!

Executive lounge is open around the clock for use of coffee machine and juice. That is a nice feature. Not very well stocked, but nice to have.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo