“brilliant week end”
Review of Ardmore Hotel

Ardmore Hotel
Ranked #99 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 26 February 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week end at the Ardmore, it was the Ireland v Scotland rugby week end and to say it was brilliant is mild. Arriving at the hotel the receptionist could not have been more helpful. My car was placed in the underground secure car park where it remained the whole week end and that included after we checked out as we were not leaving until the evening. Had a quiet afternoon in the room with room service. I asked for sandwiches and on my plate was a salad, and french fried onions and of course the sandwiched. Delicious. The room was on the 4th flooor and looked onto the street below. Breakfast was superb (self service). On our last morning we were late down and the very pleasant waiter asked the chef if he would cook 2 Irish breakfasts, no problem and what a plate of food we got, it was enough to do us the rest of the day. I had read reports that the hotel was noisy, not in our experience and after all it was a busy week end. The onlky small complaint I would have was that even with the radiator turned off the room was still very warm. Overall it was a great hotel for the price and I would certainly recommend it to people and would stay in it again. Busses ran every 10 minutes from across the road, very cheap travel and the most expensive taxi was 13 euros.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 February 2008

me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel on the 15th to the 17th of february.on arrival the receptionist was very nice.we had a room on the fourth floor.the view wasnt the greatest but sure the view doesnt matter anyway.the room was lovely.nice bed lovely tv etc.bathroom nice size.we had dinner the first night in the hotel.was very nice.the bar and lounge are nice to visit.on saturday night though the music gets loud enough but you cnat hear it up in the room which is good.we had a meal in the hard rock cafe the second night of our stay was so nice!breakfast each morning was very nice.one waitress wasnt that nice to us though.one of the waiters was really nice and sound.overall we enjoyed out stay in the ardmore hotel.its not that far from the city centre either .about 15 mins on the bus.3 buses pass every 10 mins the 140,40, and 40a i think.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2008

Stayed at the Ardmore for 2 nights, friday and saturday. Our package included breakfast each day and dinner on one of the nights. For £150.00, the price was quite good.

Flight arrived early on friday and after 20 euro taxi ride to the hotel there was no problems checking in at 1030 which was good. Our room was clean and tidy - not luxury but modern and pleasant. Nice bathroom with bath and shower.

We caught a taxi into town and this cost 15 euros. We were both quite excited about dublin but upon arrival we realised it was just like any other city, very average. The constant rain didnt help and as a young couple, there wasnt much that took our fancy. There is lots of shops to look around and an aray of pubs to drink in. We ate at Buskers bar and Temple St the first day and 2 burgers with chips, a coke, and a guiness came in at 35 euros!

We visisted the guiness storehouse which was very good and then caught a taxi back to the ardmore - 14 more euros.

We had our inclusive dinner once back at the hotel and it was suprisingly good. The restaurant is very bland and has no atmosphere at all - more like a canteen - however the food was very nice. The Cream bar was fairly busy, mostly with locals, but it was okay - i guess an evarage bar.

Next day we went into town, this time via the number 40a bus which can be caught ust outside the hotel. 3.50 euros each way for 2 people was much better and it was quicker than a taxi into the city. the number 40 bus back from parnell st takes you back to finglas rd which is where the ardmore is located.

We later went back into town as it was my gildfriends birthday. Dublin at night is very expensive and is by far the most expensive city i have ever been to. A double vodka with redbull and a guiness came in at a whopping 20 euros!!!!! Ouch. Everything is pricey so expect to pay through the roof for average things - however thats just the way dublin is. The nighlife in temple st is the best and it is very busy. We later caught a taxi back.

The next day we agin had a wonder around the city (again in the rain). Dont eat at the Patrick Conway Pub - very poor and food tasted microwaved.

The hotel allowed us to leave our luggage at the hotel until our taxi back to the airport came which was good. Again, another 20 euro taxi ride!

So to sum up, the hotel was good but it is worthwhile paying a bit more to stay in the city centre as it will save you money and time in bus/taxi fares. As for Dublin itself.....average to say the least and we were bored after 1 day. To go for stag night it would be fun but it isnt very romantic for a couple. Last of all, Dublin is more expensive than Paris, New York and Hong Kong, and in my opinion, is far less attractive.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abestravels
Reviewed 7 January 2008

For £43 for the one night, we weren't too disappointed - clean, modern, secure with polite helpful staff.

Our room was nicely designed with a good bathroom and comfortable bed with clean linen.
However like one reviewer stated before, the room did seem very warm even though the radiator wasn't on, so the window had to be left open all night onto the main road - thankfully the road wasn't too busy.
Be aware also that if you're a light sleeper the door to the room does let through a fair bit of noise from the hallway

We needed inclusive parking so wasn't disappointed with the gated underground facilities - although it was only after opening 2 broom cupboards and 3 maintenance doorways did we finally find the door back up to reception - very badly signed!

The hotel describes its address as Tolka Valley, Dublin. - no help whatsoever - it is on FINGLAS RD (N2), 100 yards north of Tolka Valley Road.
It may be because the Finglas area in which it is situated is a notoriously rough area of Dublin (not immediately obvious), so it cares not to hint to its true location.

Although some way out of the city centre, it's only 1.6 euro on the bus. The stop is a 30 yard walk down Finglas Rd.

On one hand I would recommend the hotel bar - some good, friendly local characters there who are great to talk to. But on the other hand to be avoided unless you like local drunk little gangster wannabe's walking up to you without provocation and insulting you in-front of your girlfriend!
Being from a less salubrious part of Manchester (UK), this type of behaviour isn't unusual, but not what I want on a weekend break away!

All in all though a good hotel, and if I come to Dublin again on a budget i would definitely consider staying at the Ardmore again.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nickwilkinson
Reviewed 28 December 2007

My mom and I recently spent the Christmas holidays in Ireland. Prior to our departure from the States, I'd booked our stay at the Ardmore Hotel in Dublin for Christmas Eve and Christmas night, knowing that many hotels close for the holidays in Ireland.

When we arrived, we found that the Ardmore actually WAS closed (Orbitz, apparently, hadn't gotten the news), but the hotel opted to honor our reservation and let us stay there (we were the only people in a 493 room hotel for the two days!) despite officially being closed.

Denver, the front desk man, was particularly helpful during our stay, an incredibly gracious host.

The room was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom downright luxurious. Although this hotel is a 20 minute drive from the city center and about the same distance from the airport, there is a bus stop right outside the door, and buses run to the city center from the hotel every 15 minutes or so, late into the night. Cab rates ran about 24 Euro for a trip from / to the City Center.

Overall, I was most impressed with the hotel's integrity in honoring our reservations when they were not even open.

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 4 November 2007

Staying at this hotel reduced me to tears several times during our stay....

It began with booking in. The double room we'd booked was not available - with no apologies, we were told 'you're in a twin, no doubles left'. No apology intially, then when I said we weren't happy with a twin, although when I said this wasn't acceptable, he was apologetic. I asked to speak to the manager, to whom i explained the problem and I asked for either a double or a refund, so that we could go elsewhere. She looked throughly disinterested said it wasn't possible, then walked away! She clearly wasn't interested. We were so exhausted after our journey that we decided to accept the room, despite my anger at the rudeness.

The room itself seemed acceptable - superficially clean and with the advertised facilities, such as an LCD TV. However, the cup of tea my partner made to calm me down after the unpleasant reception experience was full of biscuit crumbs, despite me not having dunked a biscuit ... It was disgusting. None of the provided teacups or glasses were clean.

In addition, the noise from the road outside was ridiculous - the constant dull roar of traffic, punctuated with beeping and doors slamming. As this is a major route, it continued throughout the day and night.

The first, midweek night was fine and we managed to sleep despite the road noise. However, around 7, we were rudely awoken by the staff, who hammered on doors, had shouted conversations and clattered along the corridors as they brought room service orders and began housekeeping. My partner and I have stayed in many hotels and hostels, and never experienced housekeeping noise like this.

The second night was horrendous. The hotel bar was booming out music until after noise until after midnight - we could feel the vibrations on the second floor and it was audible over the TV, despite turning it up to a ridiculous volume. At 11.30, I called reception to complain. I was told that they finish at 11.30 and it should be finished any second - no apology. At 11.45, it was still continuing. I called reception again and was told that they'd already turned it down (we couldn't hear a difference) and that there was nothing he could do. When I asked why it hadn't stopped at 11.30, he answered that he 'didn't understand' - his English was accented, but he hadn't had any previous problems understanding me .... I then asked to speak to the manager. After over a minute on hold, I was put through to a male who, I suspect from the noise he was shouting over, was in the bar. He answered 'what?'. I was shocked and asked to speak to the manager. He said 'yeah, what?'. I repeated my complaint that the noise was disturbing us. He said 'well, it's the bar music'. I said 'yes and it's disturbing us. please can you turn it down so that we can sleep'. He audibly sighed and said he would turn it down. He then put the phone down with no apology. After another 5 minutes there was no difference, but after I had dressed to go down to reception, it was turned off (or at least to a volume we could not hear). This was over 15 minutes from the start of the second call. It was extremely distressing.

However, even after the music was turned off, we still could not get any rest. The traffic noise throughout the night was continuous, and from 3 - 4 am, we were kept awake though the paper thin walls by the couple in the next room who argued loudly. We were then woken at 7 by the housekeeping and room service staff screaming at each other and banging the walls.

The final insult came as we were checking out. When I asked the receptionist if it was possible to buy bus passes from her, she laughed out loud and said no. I then asked her where we could buy them, and we were sneeringly told 'tesco' (they don't by the way).

Even if the staff weren't so deeply unpleasant, I wouldn't stay at the Ardmore again. It was 15-20 minutes into Dublin City, and the area looked like Iraq - wasteland, 8ft walls topped with barbed wire. It felt very unsafe in the evening. Our stay there completely ruined what could have been a pleasant holiday in the city.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LaurenAndCraig
Reviewed 3 November 2007

The hotel is wonderful, the prices ok (50 euros for a double room), the bus stop for the city centre just next the hotel entrance.
Wonderful choice!