“Hard Beds”

Ranked #97 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Hard Beds”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel itself is clean & staff are friendly. However the bed & pillows are quite simply the hardest I have ever slept on. The corridors & room are incredibly warm & stuffy. You can open the window however the hotel backs onto houses & a dog bark constantly through the night. I wouldn't recommend on this basis

• Stayed February 2014
ArdmoreDublin, General Manager at Ardmore Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ardmore Hotel. I am sorry to hear you say that you would not recommend our hotel. The hotel is near some houses and there are some with dogs and I am sorry to hear that they disturbed your stay. I am surprised to hear that you didn’t find our beds comfortable, we have recently purchased new beds for many of the bedrooms to ensure a good night sleep so I am sorry to hear that they have the opposite effect for you. Again thank you for your review, perhaps if you are returning to Dublin you will get in touch and we can attempt to change your mind about the hotel by allocating a different room with softer pillows and beds.

Donna Curry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
mayo, Ireland
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Its being 4 years since I last stayed in this hotel and my previous review was not pleasent. I was wary of going back but have to say that I was amazed by the vast improvement in almost all aspects of the hotel.
Our check in was fast and the receptionist was very pleasant.
The hall way was warm and clean with no unpleasant oder.
Our room was warm and clean with extra pillows in the cupboard.
The breakfast on our first morning was delicious. My husband had some really excellent scrambled eggs.
That evening we had barfood in the very nicely refurbished bar and it was superb. I could not fault it. A major improvement. The waitress told us there was a new chef and that is money well spent.
The waitress was very kind and noticed that I had a leg injury and she offered to get anything that I wanted even if I had to call down from my room. That was lovely.
Breakfast on the second morning was not as nice or even as nicely presented. It was very obviously a different chef.
But overall I was very pleased and look forward to our next stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, I am delighted to hear that you returned to the hotel and that you found the hotel to be much improved. I will pass your comments on to the Management and Staff at the hotel who will be delighted to hear your kind comments. I hope that you are in Dublin again soon and that you will not leave it four years before you come and visit the hotel again.
Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

walked in to the hotel lovely greeted well went to room 1st class went for food went down hill from there food out of 10 is 2 wouldn't recommend getting in the hotel.it tasted like Iceland food its not even home made

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Ardmore Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience of the food at the hotel, I can assure you that the chef takes great pride in the food that is offered and prepared at the hotel. We offer 15% off for guests and generally the feedback is very good. I hope that you will return to the hotel again and give us a chance to show you the usual quality of food that is prepared.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We were a group of 4 (39, 66, 67, and 6 years old) and booked 2 rooms at the Ardmore for a first time visit to Dublin. The Ardmore was a welcome sight after a bumpy plane ride and at all times during our stay the service was impeccable... from front desk to housekeeping and all in between. Rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. Bar food was fine. We found prices for breakfast and pub food quite reasonable.

Only thing to be aware of before you book: taking the bus to and from Dublin is fast once the bus arrives, and if you are very aware of timetables, bus routes, etc in Dublin. So either be very prepared with information or be prepared to wait or get lost. Or, just use the money you saved on the hotel and get a taxi. May be worth it for very good service and a quiet place to sleep ;)!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hportia
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing the Ardmore hotel and for your kind words. I am delighted to hear that your group found the hotel to be good value for money. I have passed the review on to our staff, as always it is nice to receive feedback from guests that stay at our hotel. I hope that you will be in Dublin again soon and that you will come and visit us.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

This is now my regular hotel to stay in when in Dublin. As others have said it is not in the city centre but there is a frequent bus service to/from the centre right outside.

The food here is of excellent quality and very reasonably priced. Residents receive a 15% discount on food in Premier Bar.

What really makes the Ardmore stand out, though, is the the staff who are unfailingly pleasant and helpful. I have stayed here many times now and the staff always recognize me and make a point of saying hello and of welcoming me back. When travelling alone this is very much appreciated.

The Ardmore offers great value for money, a quiet location ~ which is more than can be said for most city centre hotels - good quality rooms, good food and excellent service.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
ArdmoreDublin, General Manager at Ardmore Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Guest.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am delighted that you have made the Ardmore Hotel your regular hotel when in Dublin. I will pass your kind comments on to the staff who I am sure will appreciate them. I hope that you are in Dublin again soon and to see you at the Ardmore Hotel.
West Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have stayed at the Ardmore Hotel many times and always find the service to be of high quality, especially from the front desk staff, who set the bar for top notch service. We were not disappointed this time either.The hotel is only a 15 mins or so ride from Dublin city center with frequent buses both to and from. Bus info available at front desk. The rooms are a decent size and always well maintained. Extra coffee, shampoo, towels etc always left for us upon request. We were there 8 nights ( a family funeral) and got a very good rate.We had family phoning from across the country and world and the front desk staff were superior in handling all of our messages...because our own cell phones didn't work for 3 days. The only problem was the voicemail service, which didn't work,( although light kept flashing and caller was advised to leave message)..Again, I can't emphasize enough the wonderful service from the front desk staff, in particular Anita ,Gillian & Susan. No request was too much for them. We will definitely stay there on our next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brede595
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that it was a funeral that you were in Dublin for. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Ardmore Hotel. I will pass your kind comments on to the Staff, especially the reception staff that you have mentioned. I hope that you are in Dublin for a happier event in the near future and that you come and stay with us.

Kindest Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have stayed at the Ardmore Hotel a few times before & it had been good value for money, although this has been over the last 8 years when it was still fairly new. This time however, we were disappointed. We were over for a family funeral.
The room was, as usual, a good size with a comfy bed & Tea/Coffee facilities in the room. This was marred though by the fact that it overlooked the rear of the hotel & local houses gardens. We were kept awake by barking dogs for 3 of our 4 night stay. The domestic staff didn't empty the little pedal bin in the bathroom at all during our stay but the rest of the room and bathroom were cleaned and tidied.
Reception staff were friendly but not as helpful as could be. The receptionist had to ask the duty manager if it was possible when we tried to order room service and when we asked to borrow an umbrella (as stated in the info pack in the room). On one day we were standing at the reception doors trying to leave & had to ask the receptionist to open the doors to let us out.This was at half past nine in the morning.
They offer free wifi in all rooms, however it is far from useable. Although our devices connected well & showed full wifi reception, it was almost impossible to use the Internet. Landline Dial up would have been faster & more reliable. More often than not the connection failed to open the page & timed out. When I asked at reception, I was told it was probably my device & to turn it off & on again. I did & the problem remained so the receptionist then said she could restart their wifi but that would affect the whole hotel & she didn't want to do that.
All in all a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 324 or those in the same corridor unless you like being kept awake by barking do...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ArdmoreDublin, General Manager at Ardmore Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel that the Ardmore Hotel offered you anything special. In relation to the points that you made, thank you for pointing out the issues that you experienced at Reception. We do have umbrellas at the hotel, clearly on the wet day that you required them there were not enough- we will replenish our stock to make sure that we do not run out again. I am not sure what reason the Receptionist would have to check with the Duty Manager regarding room service, unless it was out of hours, you do not mention so I cannot comment. We offer room service breakfast until 10 am each morning, usually guests fill out their card the night before and we collect them from the rooms. Room service is available 24 hours per day for sandwiches and until 10pm Monday to Saturday hot food is available, until 9.30pm on Sunday.
The fact that your pedal bin was not emptied was an oversight and I apologise for this, I am delighted to hear that apart from that the room was cleaned and tidied. Our wifi system has recently been upgraded, I am sorry to hear that it was not working or timing out on your device- once the signal is being picked up there should not be an issue, I will have our Computer Company look at this in the room that you have indicated.
Again, I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay but thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, only by getting feedback from guests can we work to continually improve the service at our hotel.

Donna Curry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown
Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown
#1 of 1 in Tyrrelstown
Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dublin Airport
Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park

Been to Ardmore Hotel? Share your experiences!