“Great location but a little worn”

Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Stephens Green Hotel
Ranked #91 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Carmel, California
“Great location but a little worn”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

First off, the location is great, just behind St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, the location is in the center of a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, pubs as well as close to Grafton Street and the Green itself. It was a quiet area. The rooms and decor were dated, the bathrooms definitely in need of refurbishment with cracked tile floors and sink. The shower required a good 10 minutes to heat up - and on no account do not leave the bathroom door open. My friend turned on the shower early Saturday morning, left it to warm up, which it did, only to have the steam activate the heat/smoke detectors which set off the fire alarm. The beds were clean, the mattresses were good. There were in-room tea and coffee services but the supplies were never refilled or, in fact, fully stocked. During our visit the restaurant and lounge were closed for refurbishment, although no work had been done which lead me to question whether, in fact, there were any plans to refubish or whether the proprietors just decided that, due to the close proximity to good restaurants and bars, it wasn't worth while to keep open. For a short weekend stop it was fine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Michelle G, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Stephens Green Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Hi mswiseguy,

Thank you for your review.

I do appreciate your comments both positive and constructive.

The bar/restaurant has now been fully refurbished and has reopened.

We do hope you visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

I booked this on a spur of the moment idea to treat the wife to a night on the town.
Great location at back of St. Stephens Green shopping centre.
Very friendly staff on reception. Room was small but had everything one needs inc air conditioning.

Cant fault it at all at the price.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi EricIrl,

Thank you for your review and your positive feedback.

We hope to see you again soon.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Title says it all - bed clearly slept in previously and not changed, despite house attempts to kid me otherwise. Receptionists reaction was underwhelming to the point that your couldn't help think this was not the first complaint about something similar.

Exchanged to new room two floors up - I can only assumed it was cleaned, or not, by the same house staff. Bath full of hairs, empty water bottles, spring, not for keeping warm, in cupboard.

Still waiting for several promises of manager 'Emma' to call. When you do Emma, if you do... or if you are reading this. All I would say is I am not fussy, I don't complain easily and I am the first to pass on compliments. I know what Travelodge is, a cheap budget chain, however there is one thing I would expect from you, your staff and the same of a manager and staff of a 5 star hotel; CLEANLINESS!

In short the rooms are shabby and the staff need to go on some kind of customer service course to get the basics. I accept guests can be a nightmare - in some cases they have every right to be.

I still want a refund, email me, call me or just send me my money back and we'll call it quits.

ps. Would be useful to put on your website that bar/restaurant not open too...!!?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Andrew M
Hi Andrew M,

We take complaints like this very seriously so please note 3 attempts were made to contact you on the mobile number you provided. I did not get an answer to each attempt and there was option for me to leave you a voice mail.

You can contact me on michelle.gaffney@travelodge.ie to discuss.

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We checked out this morning after staying for 4 nights. The location is a close walk to Grafton Street (where we didn't spend much time) and a 4-5 block walk to Temple Bar and most public transit stops.

When we arrived, we had a queen sized bed and a random twin bed in the room. The twin bed was not made. I am particularly funny about seeing a bare hotel mattress and uncovered pillows. They were gross for lack of better word. The carpet had multiple dark stains and I was afraid to walk around without shoes on (even out of the shower).

If you're looking for a cheap (level above hostel) hotel, I'd say this is the higher end of the value. It seems to me, that for 15 euro more/night, it would be worth the substantial upgrade in quality.

Otherwise, bed was comfortable, shower had hot water, clean towels were provided daily, small TV worked (remote missing-though we didnt watch much) and free wi-fi in the lobby came in handy. I would not stay here again, but would recommend to the budget-conscious traveler looking simply for a bed at night.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi Cpelkey10,

Thank you taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to read some aspects of this review and please be assured these points will be followed up on.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Wanted to be close to the ferry terminal for an early morning sailing to Holyhead, so we drove back to Dublin the day before , picking this travel lodge for its location , so we could have a day exploring Dublin .
The location is bang in the centre with a multi storey car park next door , discounted when Travel Lodge stamp your ticket .
It took just about fifteen minutes leisurely stroll to reach O'Connell street and the famous main post office .
The lodge is of the usual Travel Lodge standard and is nice and clean .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Michelle G, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Stephens Green Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Hi John C,

Thank you for writing this review and for your positive feed back.

We hope you will visit us again in the future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My partner and I started here for two night in April and we concur with the other reviews of this property. Some aspects of the hotel were a little dated, but our room was reasonably spacious, well kept and had classic fixtures that gave it a somewhat Edwardian feel to it (some nice character). The front desk staff were all very helpful and quite pleasant. No complaints there. The location was also superb. Minutes away from many of the many fantastic offering that Dublin has.
The negatives; the walls are thin. On Friday night, some drunks stumbled in at 4 AM into the room next door and we could hear EVERYTHING (thankfully they passed out soon after). Beyond that one incident, we were never disturbed by anyone. Perhaps it was because the bed was so comfortable. A second complaint; they charge for use of the internet (besides in the lobby). Seriously? In today's day and age you charge for wifi use? In Ireland, there is free wifi on the trains, buses, youth hostels, pubs, etc. To demand a fee for wifi use is like demanding a fee for colour TV. It gives the impression that the establishment is trying to nickel and dime you. We ended up frequenting pubs with wifi and conducting our online work there.

1 Thank Grizinator
Hi Grizinator,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I appreciate both the positives and negatives in your review.

Although we do charge for wifi in the rooms, there is free wifi available in the bar and lobby areas at all times for anyone who does not want to purchase a voucher.
North Wales
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Ive stayed in travelodges,and liked them.THIS one is OUTSTANDING.Above and beyond.First,the ROOM.WOW.SUPERIOR dacor,space,nothing like your run of the mill uniform travelodge.We had burgundy carpet and bed covers,oh the bed was majestic,dark brown king sized base,even a spare single bed too.dark wood furnishings,iron trouser press,the feel of the fittings.plumbing etc was quality.It had a BATHROOM WITH a BATH!.Yes,A Bath!.This was majestic.Even a breakfast room.Look,go-see.I will go back there for sure.Its central,St.Stephens green,Grafton street just metres away.Such very nice staff.This venue is ultra quality.Affordable.Splendid.

Room Tip: Id certainly avail myself of the quietness of the 5th floor,if I were you.