“Choose somewhere else if available”

Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines
Ranked #95 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel, have stayed at Travelodge in the past, so know it's budget hotel and thats fine, but this hotel, term hotel has to used loosely, should be avoided.

Firstly where did I go wrong, I didn't read reviews. I needed hotel for one night, wasn't interested in pools gyms etc so opted for budget hotel in what I thought was a good location, with parking (as avertised) and a breakfast.

I arrived enquired about parking, no parking available, only 9 spaces, all used, that was my fault as I didn't phone to enquire if the spaces were available...see I stupidly just read the information on the web site...silly me.

The hotel sits above an Aldi store and fronts onto the main Rathmines Road. I expected normal street noise, after all it is Rathmines, and it was nice to be there in the centre of things, however, the delivery truck arriving at Aldi at 5am, I didn't expect that.

The Breakfast, I like continental breakfast, I would have liked the continental discribed to me by the website and staff but alas, I 'm not too sure I have the english to describe what was presented but it is a sad inditment on the Irish hospitality industry if what I got could be described as a continental breakfast, the nearest it got to the continent was the euro coins in my pocket

The room itself was clean, compact but adequate, a little worse for ware but what I expected so had no issue with that.

Considering the price paid for a few euro more I think there is much better in Dublin, including Travelodges other hotels and of course some much cheaper if you are prepared to be a little less central.

This could be a really great little hotel, but its not

Instant coffee.....continental breakfast....I don't think so....shame on you Travelodge on guests who have paid up front

Room Tip: Rear of hotel or different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Skintown

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Staff were very friendly and informative. I found the rates to be very competitive and the rooms were in excellent condition. It is a pity that they don't have their own restaurant, however the availability of so much choice in the Rathmines and Ranelagh area more than make up for this. Transport to the city centre is literally outside the door, but I would advise people to walk as it is a short and pleasant stroll.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ClaireOMTL, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear StephenO,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you found the staff both friendly and informative and found that you received value for money.
Yes we are ideally located in Rathmines area with plenty of restaurants, bars and shop to choose from.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here as it offered secure parking for our motorbikes,location had some nice bars close by,and a good cafe for brekkie a stone's throw away as they didn't do it? Or it was way more expensive can't remember anyway the rooms were clean spacious a bit basic but hey we just wanted to get our heads down after a long ride.no frills but did the trick.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear AdyS,

Thank you for your review of Travelodge Rathmines. I am delighted to read you your stay with us and enjoyed the local amenities,

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The room was small with a double bed which almost filled the room. Room and bathroom were basic but clean. Lighting in the room wasn't great. Main issue was the carpark which is located at the back of the hotel and shares with the apartments. When we arrived at the hotel there was no one at the front desk. We saw the electric gate to the carpark open and so drove in and parked in one of the designated spaces (which aren't all together). We then couldn't get out of the carpark and so after ringing the hotel several times a staff member came out and opened the gate. He was extremely rude and reprimanded us for parking without going into the hotel for the key. I advised we were short on time and the desk was unattended. He advised there was a sign saying he would be back in 5 minutes and seemed to think this justified it. I find it ridiculous that you should abandon your car and wait at the front desk for someone to return and let you into the carpark!! Also he was rude in advising me that I needed to pay for the caprark. I was aware I had to pay and had no issue with this. Also after checking out I was given the key/control for the carpark and then after driving out I had to go back into the hotel with this, meaning if I was alone I would have had to abandon my car to do this!

The one bit of good service was from the man at the front desk when we returned from our night out who got some ketchup for my friend (for her chips) from the kitchen!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear MirianAK.

Thank you for your review. It is great to see that you found your room clean and that night porter was accommodating.

I am however disappointed to read about your encounter with the receptionist and would be grateful if could contact me with more information regarding this.

My email address is Claire.omahony@travelodge.ie.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Very clean and staff very friendly
Had bus stop outside location so was easy to get to places in Dublin ! Without the need to take your car! Would use this hotel again ! Great value for money would recommend this hotel to any one looking for a place to stay on Dublin

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
ClaireOMTL, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Kers706,

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your stay was great value for money.

We hope to welcome you back to Travelodge Rathmines in the near future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have been here now for 4 nights and it was not by choice as my company had booked me in and everywhere else was full or very expensive due to the one direction concert.
The bed is uncountable and the pillows are as thin as a wafer.
This place is very dated and needs a major refurb, so do not look at the pictures that the hotel has added as you will be very disappointed.
Breakfast time here is a sham, and you will be better off going out into the street to one of the many cafe's as the so called restaurant has only 4 tables and dry limited continental breakfast. You need to book a time slot and if you miss it, well good luck.
I needed to leave for work at 7.15am during the week and 10am on Sunday, however breakfast starts at 7.30 weekdays and 8.30am Saturday and 9am Sunday. What stupid times and these are not mentioned when you book online and breakfast needs to be booked and payed at time of booking. I missed 3 of my breakfast's due to it's late start.
This hotel advertises that it is city centre, don't be fooled as it is €13 each way, so nearly an extra €30 on top of the hotel rate, so add this to a hotel city centre and it would be cheaper and nicer elsewhere.

Room Tip: €13 taxi to City Centre each way so add €30 to the price of the hotel and look for somewhere closer...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt A

Dear mattarm33_11,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

In response to your comments on breakfast times, We serve breakfast from 7.30am however we are more than happy to oblige and serve breakfast that bit earlier for our guests. I am unclear from your comments as to whether or not this was requested?

In terms of the location, we are located just 2km from Grafton Street and Stephens Green Area and have a bus stop directly opposite the hotel which operates over 5 services every 4 minutes to these areas.

I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly with more feedback on experience of breakfast. My email is claire.omahony@travelodge.ie.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

When we arrived in the late afternoon of May 15th 2014 without any reservations we were greeted in a very kind and considerate manner by Miss. Claire O'Mahony, the hotel manager. She made sure we had everything we needed from a place off site to park our car to giving us the Wifi pass codes. She even offered to help us bring in our luggage. We were most grateful for her friendly assistance and glad we found a welcoming place to stay on our last night in Ireland before heading back to the USA.

Room Tip: Reserve early
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robinsnest48

Dear Robinsnest48,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us here in Travelodge Rathmines and it was an enjoyable end to your trip.

We do hope to welcome you back to Dublin again in the future.

Regards,