“Citi hostel”

Ranked #78 of 112 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Armidale, Australia
“Citi hostel”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Citi hostel has a wonderful location and is very close to the tram, train and the bus stops, for example it appears that the train runs through the building itself. When we arrived we were greeted pleasantly and told we would have to wait 6 hours until the cleaners were finished with our room. Fair enough... And thankfully they are happy to store your bags in a locked room for no extra charge. Upon arriving back at the agreed upon time we were greeted with surprised looks and a frantic scrambling. The cleaners had just finished with the room, which is a private room with it's own bathroom. Upon entering the place looked nicely made up. The bathroom was grubby but acceptable if you don't suffer from claustrophobia or if you for some reason believe that the stainless steel cube of a shower isn't a prison cell from area 52. The bed was quite good and the heavy wooden shutters on the windows were great for blocking out the noise and also for leaving gaping holes in the wall which previous residents have used for ashtrays. When closing the shutters beware the crack in the roof which opens and spills a few gallons of foul 'water' on your luggage. Although after 48 hours when they sent the handy man to have a look (it turns out it was the drunk who woke us at 5:30am that morning by banging at the door yelling for his daughter) who looked at the crack and merely said "ugh I'll look upstairs".

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mort87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

A pretty good hotel when we went 3 years ago or something. I was pretty much smashed for the whole time though. But it was cheap and in an alright location. I do remember you had to make your own food.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I live outside Dublin and had to stay in the city at very short notice for a I had an early appointment in Sandyford. I chose this place as it was very close to the LUAS stop on Harcourt Street which would take me to Sandyford. Little did I know what I was letting myself in for. I picked it as it was cheap and most other places were booked up and/or too expensive so I took a chance on it.

When I arrived at reception, I was met by a foreign woman of non-determinate nationality who barely looked at me as she was checking me in. She was tucking into a microwaveable meal (no, seriously) as she took my details and handed me my keys with a lack of warmth that was quite breathtaking. Behind me, an older gent sat looking at me opposite the reception area. I never really found out who he was but he may have been a permanent resident of the hostel, judging by his un-self consciously relaxed demeanor.

And so to the room. It was so sparse that it made the average jail-cell look a room in the Savoy. The bed was hard and uncomfortable and the sheets were dirty and possibly unchanged - there were still hairs on the pillow. There was no TV and the view from the window was of inner-city Dublin in all its grim glory, a litter-strewn wasteland, bifurcated by a wall densely covered in graffiti. Beyond that, a grey flats complex where track-suited teenagers seemed to be staring right back at me or may have just been my imagination. There was no kettle or any real facilities in the room. There was a wardrobe but it looked like it had been rescued that very day from a skip nearby. And a sink. The room was too depressing to stay in before sleeping, which I had planned to do, so I went to nearby pub for a quiet drink and to come to terms with what I had just experienced. The barman asked me if everything was ok. When I returned about two hours later, I noticed that there was no lighting on the landing where my room was located so I had to use the light from mobile phone to find the keyhole. How I slept that night I will never know. I usually find it hard to rise in the morning but never was I so happy to see dawn's early light and I was up and out of there quicker than it takes to microwave a cheap lasagne. To all tourists, backpackers and any Irish who consider this a cheap option for a night in Dublin - avoid. It is a smelly, damp, nightmarish hellhole.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ken F

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 September 2013

If it's filthy everything you want, stay here. In the kitchen there is the smell of sewage, it is absolutely filthy throughout, and the showers and bathrooms look like they have not been cleaned in years, with damp, mould and mildew very much in evidence. The Spanish lady at reception is an obnoxious cow. She can't speak English properly yet gets narky and sarcastic when asked to clarify what she's trying to say. Her general demeanour is that of a woman constantly on the verge of an explosive psychotic episode.

This place has absolutely nothing to recommend it (shouldn't TripAdvisor have a zero-out-of-five option???), and should be closed down. But hey, this is Ireland, where mediocrity rules in these matters.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank eddielennon
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have just returned after a two nights stay and I can safely say I have had no sleep what so ever.
We had to stay here as our original booking had been cancelled at short notice and because it was cheap. I know you get what you pay for but I have stayed in much nicer hostels for the same price.
The hostel reminded me of a scene from the film taken. There weren't enough security lockers so in a 16 person dorme your belongings were not safe. There was mould on the walls and the ceiling in the showers leaked from the showers/ toilets on the floor above! I think the hostel was used to by crime gangs and illegal immigrants rather than the usual genuine travelers! Sleep with one eye open! The rooms were dark dingy and stunk of sweat!
The staff gave a very good welcome and were fair with customers and didn't take any rubbish from some idiots that were staying there which was good. On the upside the kitchen was very clean with free tea coffee cereal and toast.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in a huge dorm