“Best stay”
Review of Citi Hostels

Citi Hostels
Ranked #88 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I was in cityhostel and I think that this is one of the best hostels in which I have stayed. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The rooms are clean and cozy.
I spent the night in a room with seven girls from Spain, and only one of the guests was from the States. Of all the guests who was there he should of taken a private room as he groaned like an old woman and was complaining all night.
I would recommend this hostel to anyone as it is cheap and it is a place where you can meet many interesting people.
Thx to all the staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 June 2010

Stayed here in May with a party of 4 people.

Be aware that if you hate stairs you will hate this place. The hostel is like a rabbit warren of rooms and if you are staying at the far end of the hostel, the require you to take the long way around to your room, even though it's quicker to cut through the dining area.

Bed's were pretty average - the mattresses were lumpy and the pillows needed replacing.

Location is reasonable, but it's a bit of a walk to downtown Dublin and locations like Temple Bar. Taxis are still fairly cheap though if you don't feel like walking.

I do have one negative experience that needs to be shared. I left something at the hostel and contacted them straight away to let them know. They replied promptly and told me they had located it so i asked them to post it to me at my cost. Because i was travelling from place to place i gave them the location i was going to be at for the next few days. Unfortunately after i didn't turn up, i called them and gave them the next place i would be staying at. Few more days passed, still didn't receive it.

Finally got an email to advise me it had been posted - on a Friday afternoon, to a place i was leaving on Saturday. It cost me nearly 60EUR to get my possessions mailed to a place i was no longer staying at.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2010

My experience with Citihostel is a bit weird. In many ways it was nice, but i guess i must say that the ways that really count it sucked. It's very hard to find and located about 30 minutes walk outside the central area (Temple Bar area). The rooms were all packed and people at the door didn't really care how many people were staying in one bed. I am a blond single girl and they accommodated me in the same room with 4 skinheads from Croatia. I understand that it's not really their problem since it was a mixed room, but c'mon, 4 male skinheads?! I decided i didn't want to get gang-raped in the night, so i went to ask for a different room. It's like i was asking them to stay for free, the attitude was quite the same. The new dorm room i got transferred to was the smallest by far i've ever been in, two beds hardly fitted. The rooms generally had this very dirty old stale smell, though they were generally clean enough. The hotel has an obvious issue with any kind of sound isolation, bring your ear-plugs! For more comments on that hotel, please read my post: http://sshiksa.blogspot.com/2009/05/dublin-ireland.html

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Ragne_K
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The staff at this hostel was really good. The guy at the front desk was so helpful when we were trying ti find places to eat, hang out, etc, and they have 24 hour reception so no matter what time we had questions, he or someone else was around. He also helped us get a taxi at like 4:30 am so we could catch our flight.

The rooms were bigger than I expected and I think they all have en suite bathrooms (mine did). The beds were so comfortable and they had a kitchen if you wanted to cook. I think they provided breakfast but I'm not sure.

The hostel itself was pretty average but very clean. Not really in a great location, kind of out of the way and the closest monument is St. Stephen's Green...its about a 25 minute walk to Grafton Street and even further to the Temple Bar area. The hostel did not have a bar or restaurant but it was next door to a kebab place that was open late.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank gcullrich
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Staying at this hostel was an incredibly unpleasant experience. The small room and especially the bathroom was very dirty!!! And there were no warm water. I had to push constantly the faucet to get water. The sheets were not clean too.
We told the reception guy to clean the room but nothing happened. He was the worst receptionist I've met in Ireland so far.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ninie51
Reviewed 30 March 2010

"a leak" meant we had to spend our first night in a twin room, A twin in this place is bunk beds, very narrow small ones at that. Not a great first night, a leak not really they're fault , but they weren't very apologetic about it either, more like we lost them the money from a room as they had to re-locate us.
The new room was fine, the over powering smell of bleech meant it was clean, but hard to handle at first. The heating was way too hot compared to very windy and cold outside.
At hostels i generally have always found staff to be friendly and fun, these guys were the oposite, more like we were getting in their way of doing something else, it didnt endear the place to us. The breakfast (included) wasn't much more than some cerial bread and cheese.
The location was ok, about a 20/25 minute walk to the main grafton street, a couple of minutes walk to a tram stop and a wonderful park area.
On the whole this place tries too hard to be a hotel and as a result fails badly at being a hostel its not the kinda of place that i felt comfortable staying in as it lacked that your away from home have fun atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Squid_Brain
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Upon arriving we found out that we couldn't check in until 2:00. They held our bags for us while we were gone which is when we got our first look at the maze of a place it is. We came back later that night and retrieved our bags from a nonchalant employee. The room was fine, pretty spacious and clean. The service was not as good. No one really seemed like they could be bothered to help us with checking in, retrieving our bags, laundry, checking out, etc. It seemed as if it were a chore to them. They didn't explain anything upon checkin (any rules or curfews) but instead just told us our room number and left it up to us from there. Normally, that would be fine but this place looks like an Escher painting. There were more doors and stairs to go through than we had the rest of our 2 week trip! Other than the service, this hostel was fine for the price and in a decent location.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends