“Great Place For The Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of ABC House

ABC House
Ranked #25 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Texas
“Great Place For The Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

The rooms were about standard for a B&B so we had no complaints as far as size and cleanliness. We did not have any issues with the water being shut off at night like some reviews have said. My only complaint about the room is the mattress, which should have been replaced a long time ago.

The breakfast was a typical European continental breakfast with yogurt, meat, cheese, and cereal. They also cooked us a full Irish breakfast with eggs any way you like and it was very good. I'm glad we paid the extra for breakfast since there's not a ton of options around the B&B. There's a nice restaurant across the street, about 3-5 minutes walking time. You'll have to walk further towards city center for a variety of places to eat.

The number 13 bus stops across the street and runs to the city center. Coming back, it stops right outside the front door of the B&B. The 16 city bus runs to the airport in about 20 minutes.

Overall, very good place for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HogHunter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

This is a great little place. The rooms are comfy but pretty standard. The location is convenient to downtown and the breakfast is OK. Over all pretty good value for money. The reason I'm giving it a very good instead of just average is because of our hosts. They were fantastic and went over and above to make us feel welcome, giving us tips on what to see and do. We had a wonderful time and highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrWayne
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Nice, clean B&B except for the fact that the water taps had to be switched off from 10pm to 7am by the government due to water shortage?!? We had to rush back from the centre by 9pm - dreadful - just as things were happening around then. The bus stop is right outside the accommodation which was a big plus. Ensure you have the exact fare though as the buses do not accept notes. There's a shop across the road that sells one day travelcard (Rambler) for €6.90 which allows you unlimited use. Warm food is offered for breakfast but I don't eat meat. It would have been nice to have been offered more than just a couple of eggs, baked beans & half a tomato but for €7.50 pp, a nice bit of vegetarian sausage & or mushrooms or even hash brown & perhaps a whole tomato (cut in half) rather than half that was given. If of course, you didn't fancy the rest that have been laid out on the table. Being offered extra toasts was a nice alternative though. I wanted to grab a mandarin but it was hard as a rock. Sorry I went on about my breakfast but when you have to travel for another 3.5 hours to another location (like we have), it's always better to leave on a full stomach :)

We only stayed for 1 night so have to return again sometime soon so we can fully appreciate what Dublin has to offer. Mary was such a lovely host & I wouldn't mind booking this place again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stmiguela
Edmonds, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

This B&B was a decent place to stay, very clean. Small room, decent breakfast. We drove there and parking is a little chaotic and not a simple feat for a tourist who is accustomed to driving on the other side of the road (not their fault). We decided not to try driving in Dublin, and instead opted for the bus, which conveniently stops just down the street from the B&B. While I have no negatives to share about this place, I think I would try somewhere new on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tlawish
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights on 16th &17th Feb 2013. ABC House was easy to find and had great access to the bus service into Dublin City. Mary who seems to manage or own ABC House contacted me via email and kept me well informed with regards to my booking, arrival time, keys and parking etc.
I had booked a triple room (3 single beds) which was clean and tidy but a bit in the small side but as we would be mainly just sleeping in the room it wasnt to bad.
The room had pretty much everything you would need for your stay ensuite, tea & coffee, Tv, Hairdryer & free Wifi.
Also they had secure parking at the rear of the premises which was accessed via a small lane at the rear of the premises.
I had booked breakfast for both mornings of our stay but we only had breakfast one day as we didnt feel hungry the next morning because we had a late dinner so Mary took the second breakfast off our bill.
The breakfast was a cooked breakfast fry and was grand, there were plenty of other options also i.e. cereals, fruit, hams, cheeses & breads along with tea, coffee, juice etc.

My only negative comments would be that the room was quite small the Tv was tiny also the wifi played up a bit and the room could do with a touch or modernisation also there was no Iron or Ironing board in the room.

Over all it was value for money the stay was quite plesant and I was happy enough. I would have no problems staying here again but my wife and daughter are just a bit harder to please.

Also just to note I left my Laptop & camera in the room when I went out into town and when we returned the room was tidyed and the beds were made and my stuff was just were I left them so good honest staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed for one night, 4 in a 4-people room. The host took time to explain some about the city, how to get to the center, what to see & stuff.
The disadvantage is the distance from the city center.
We also had an issue with the payment. We booked the room online, so we prepaid 10% and in the end they were asking for 100%. However I told them about the online booking, they checked and we paid only the remaining 90%.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexandra S
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

My girlfriend and I try to book a couple of weekends each year, just as a small break of everything. Before we go we always meticulously search for a place to stay, within our price range and that has some good reviews. This one was spot on! We knew we would be arriving late, so I sent an e-mail to Mary. Who quickly replied that it would not be a problem to arrive late in the evening. We would meet her at breakfast the following morning.

We loved the entrance. At the entrance was a nice little info stand with stuff to do in Dublin and surroundings. It has these little cards, which give you a discount at some of the attractions.

The room itself is somewhat old, but was well maintained. Like stated in earlier reviews, the walls are quite thin, but that didn't bother us. The shower is awesome. TV was tiny, if that is something you value, we didn't mind. Sleep was good, although my side of the bed had some old springs, which made the bed sag a little. Not that much of a problem if you sleep on your back, but I sleep on my belly. Otherwise does what we want from a room: Sleep & shower.
Breakfast was good and Mary was busy constantly refilling what was there. She offers you hot breakfast, toast and so on. You're well taken care of.

If we visit Dublin again, we will definitely return here!

Some tips for other visitors.
- If you fly into Dublin: Take bus 16 or bus 41 to the city center. Ask the busdriver to give you a shout at "Opposite of Skylon Hotel". Busstops in Ireland work by stop-numbers, which prove to be very confusing for us.
- Just outside of the guesthouse there is a busstop which takes you into the city center in 10 minutes. You can buy a "rambler ticket" of "family ticket" at the Spar across the road.
-Across the road there is "The Ivy House". A modern pub with great atmosphere, be sure to visit it!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple