“Seeing a show”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cork, Ireland
“Seeing a show”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My friend and I booked into this hotel as we were in town for a show in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre. In that sense the hotel is great, near the theatre and they offer a €5 bus transfer to the theatre which was very handy. The hotel has a central location and car parking which is great, its a taxi journey to the night life which is fine. The evening meal wasn't great to be honest but the breakfast was great and we had it as room service which was a great treat.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MargueritePearl
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I have past on your comments to the chef who was disappointed to hear them as normally the food receives positive comments.
I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Cardiff
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed for what was supposed to have been 3 nights to attend a conference in a nearby hotel. Initially I was very pleased with check in which was swift and helpful, despite it being late at night, and my room which was bigger than expected - I'd booked a single but was actually in a twin. The view from my room was unappealing - over the bins - and I could frequently hear staff on their mobiles outside so assume it was where they took their break. The large comfy chair in my room looked amazing but unfortunately one of the legs was completely broken meaning I was unable to use it at all. The room was very clean though and everything else seemed to be Fine. Unfortunately I was then woken at 3:40 in the morning by a short burst of the fire alarm (I wasn't entirely sure it was the fire alarm at the time but this happened again on another day so I now know it was). Also, throughout my stay there was an intermittent vibration sound which seemed to reverberate throughout the hotel (even being audible in the lobby) I'm not sure if this was the heating system but it was very noticeable. Unfortunately my flight was cancelled home and I had to stay for an additional night. The reception staff were very helpful with arranging this and agreed that I could stay in the same room. Unfortunately they didn't warn me that I would be able to hear the very loud disco from the bar that evening which went on until almost 2 am, not something that I really appreciated as I had to get up at 6!
All in all, I don't think I would plan to stay here again unless I was planning a weekend of partying, in which case it would be fine.

Stayed January 2014
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Hello
Thank you for taking the time advise us of your comments.
I was very disappointed to hear of the noise issues you encountered. While we unforetunately can not regulate the fire alarm we have investigated the other issues you raised and have been able to isolate them. These will be rectified immediately.
Please accept our apologises that your stay was disrupted in this manner but be assured that we have corrected them.
My apologises again for these issues.
Tralee
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Booked as part of Lidl Breaks and was very pleasantly surprised. Instant upgrade to Executive floor (had requested quiet room) on arrival having been greeted by a very friendly receptionist. Excellent parking facilites which are free - most central hotels charge a premium for parking. Enjoyed food and drinks in the bar - cocktails at €5 were delicious. Very central - walking distance to Aviva and city center. Breakfast very enjoyable the following day. Will definitely return. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Kind regardsHel
Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as part of a Theatre package, tickets, dinner and b&b. Its 5 minutes walk from the Bord Gais Theatre or you can get the hotel coach for €5 each return. We were allowed to check in early which was great.

Positives

1. Requested a quiet room and received a quiet room.

2. Both check in and check out was quick and efficient, plenty of staff available.

3. Reception staff and waiting staff were pleasant and friendly.

4. Hotel room was clean and had tea/coffee facilities, a powerful shower, a comfortable recliner and foot stool, a smart tv, hair dryer, iPod Dock and free wifi.

5. Free parking at hotel.

6. Although there was a bit of a queue at breakfast, the self service buffet had a good enough choice. Fresh fruit was nice, toaster very slow but is the same all over the world.

7. Convenient to Board Gais Theatre and 20 minutes walk into Town.

Negatives

1. Large crack in our sink.

2. Large stain in bath.

3. Toilet roll holder broken.

4. Tray for tea/coffee cups in room was chipped.

5. Remote control for tv wouldn't work, went to Reception and had to wait around for about 10 minutes whilst batteries were located, problem solved.

6. We were going to enjoy a pre dinner glass of vino in our room but had forgotten a cork screw. I asked at Reception would it be possible to borrow a spare cork screw from the Bar. The Receptionist rang the Bar and I was told sorry but they didn't have a cork screw I could borrow. End of story. I suggested to the Receptionist that if I brought the bottle of wine to the Bar maybe they would uncork it for me. She said that they probably would. Surely she could have suggested this to me instead of just saying "no". Anyway, the Bar man was very friendly and said that it wasn't a problem, he uncorked my bottle.

7. Although the heat seemed to be off before we went to sleep, it seemed to come on in the middle of the night as the room was very hot. If the hotel would consider putting a flat sheet on the bed, the quilt could have been thrown off and the sheet used as a cover instead.

8. Dinner in the restaurant - starters, toss salad, well presented. Plenty of vegetables, lovely, husband's soup, lovely. Main courses - husband's stirfry, beef was tough and carrots were under cooked in his side order. My Vegetarian Pasta described as Fusilli with Winter Vegetables. How disappointing, my 6 year old niece could have presented this to me. Surely the Chef has more imagination and culinary skills than this. I was served pasta with no sauce whatsoever with 4 lumps of carrot and 2 lumps of turnip and 2 lumps of parsnip. Enough said!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Donegaltourist
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay. I was disappointed to read of your negative experiences and have forwarded them to the department heads to resolve.
I am sorry that these may have upset the enjoyment of your stay and assure we will resolve them immediately.
Thank you again for bringing them to our attention.
St. Croix
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Based on a recommendation by someone here on Trip Advisor we chose the Grand Canal Hotel over several others that had higher rankings. We were only in Dublin for a quick 4 day getaway and this hotel was perfect for us. The rooms were clean and modern as were the bathrooms. The staff were very helpful. It's quite convenient (4 blocks or so) to the HOHO bus which we used a LOT. There are a couple of other bus stops even closer. A couple of nights we just took a taxi to the Trinity Bar area for dinner and the trip was only $10 or so euro. The bar at the hotel was a nice place for a nightly night cap of Baileys and hot chocolate. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stcroixscuba
Hello
Delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you will get the chance to return soon. Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Ireland
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Free parking was why we picked this hotel. Taxi to Henry St approx €7 and Grafton €6. Shuttle bus to Bord Gais €5 return. There was 6 of us and we wanted to go out in town so we got a taxi €6 for the 6 of us. About a 5 min walk. Got pizza delivered to residents bar after. No problem. Breakfast lovely but a bit of a queue. Think Maldron or The Marker hotels handier for Bord Gais. Marker has fab food but havent stayed. Maldron on a par with Grand Canal but no parking. Will use Grand Canal again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elsie5
Hello
Thank you for the posting. Delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again for another show, some great ones coming up, Evita, War Horse and Dirty Dancing all in the next few months.
Thanks again for the comments
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Better late than never I hope to say thank you to the magnificent staff of the Grand Canal Hotel. The Terrific Housekeeping Manager, Night Manager and Front Desk Staff were not only excellent in their welcome but immediately changed our room when we noticed a problem with the bathroom door.
Several things impressed us; the level of cleanliness is great, the staff were all superb; there was a great atmosphere in the Bar and we were in a top location for the Bord Gais Theatre for a show and restaurant afterwards. A short taxi ride to Grafton Street the next day was simply obligatory. We really enjoyed our stay. Thanks so much to all the staff with apologies that I don't remember the exact names. We'll definitely be back. It was excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I am delighted the team looked after you so well.
The location is indeed great for the city or the theatre, who always have a great line up of shows. Hope to see you again soon.