“Mum & teen daughter's wee road trip!”
Review of Grand Canal Hotel

Grand Canal Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
co.derry, ireland
“Mum & teen daughter's wee road trip!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed her with teenage daughter at beginning of month (going to concert in bord gais energy theatre). got a nice room on the 5th fl, with smart TV - great for teen! Had a lovely meal in the pub, good value - staff were all lovely. Theatre was a 5-7 min walk - not too bad. Didnt bother with breakfast but found a corner shop with hot food bar just 2mins away. Got directions to go "shopping" the next morning but after half an hours's walking still hadn't managed to find vibrant dublin city centre!! boarded the hop on/hop off sightseeing but instead which was good fun. Would definitely stay here again, was close to the 02 as well.

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms have smart TV - good for kids
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank katie_ohagan
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hello
Delighted you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us and do hope you will get the opportunity to stay again soon. There are many great shows and concerts coming up in the Autumn in both the Bord Gais Energy Theatre and the 02 to tempt.
Thanks for the posting.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Polish first
miniadventurer99
Reviewed 14 July 2014

positives first...
stayed here for 2 nights and choose it as it was close to the o2 for a concert we were attending.
there is very secure parking facilities, hotel was easy to find, even closer to the aviva, you can see the stadium from the front entrance of the hotel
we stayed when a big match was on and the bar was packed, they even had a stand out front selling food for the hoards of people passing by on their way to the rugby, great atmosphere!
the bedroom was large with a comfy bed, a table and chair, large tv and option of smoking room which I was delighted about.
they had vending and ice machines beside the lifts which was handy and the lifts were room key activated which added to security.
lots of information provided at reception.
nice big mirror at the desk with plugs nearby for getting ready at and full length mirror as well
free wifi
the lady who checked us in and out was lovely

negatives...
a little too far out of the centre, didn't bother us but worth noting. We walked in (about 30mins) then got a taxi back after a day of sight seeing tired after walking all day which was about 7-9euro
wanting to be at the o2 early I checked the information provided in the room and was glad to see a 24hr room service menu. we decided that we would have lunch before getting ready for the concert then have room service when we got back.
with the rugby on, the bar was packed so we went to the dining room at the back and waited some time before anyone came to seat us, my partner had chicken which was just ok. I choose steak and it was very very chewy and tough to eat, the only time anyone came near us was when I called the waitress over to clear some of the stuff from the table while we waited on our food, don't think there is really any need for wine glasses, cups, milk jug, water glasses, water jug, sugars etc to all be put on the (small) table before anyone is even seated at them, adding to that the glasses from the drinks we ordered I felt I was going to send it all crashing any time I moved!
wanting to get ready to go out, I just ate what I could then we chased a waitress for our bill, seeing our food half left she didn't ask was everything ok, so we just paid and left.
coming back to the hotel at 12.30am I rang reception to order room service only to be told (by a seemingly busy and not very helpful staff member) there was none and they could send someone up with a local pizza delivery menu or I could come down and get it?! not wanting pizza nor having any money to pay for it as we had planned to have the room service added to our room bill we went to bed hungry and dis-satisfied.
If you are going to go to the bother of having information supplied in rooms I think it is a must that it is up to date!
food really let the otherwise very good hotel down

Room Tip: had a room on the right side of the hotel and it was very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank miniadventurer99
Hello
Thank you for feedback and I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with the food service. I have past your comments on to the managers and they will ensure that they are reviewed fully so we can offer a service more in keeping with our normal standards.
My apologises again for the inconvenience caused to you and thank you for taking the time to advise us of them.
belfast
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with three friends on wed eve, and I was pleasantly surprised! After reading not so great reviews I didn't really know what I was going to. We requested twin rooms and in our room we got a double and a single bed which were so comfortable, also I emailed ahead and requested a fridge which was there, and tea/coffee facilities. The bath itself was a bit grimy but only having a shower didn't particularly bother me, and my friend dropped something down the side of bed and she said there was red splashes on the bedside table? Which is why I gave it four and not five stars! Hotel staff were all nice and friendly, food was great too, especially Brekkie, the Little pancake machine went down a treat with our party!! One more little thing tho, why do u only serve cocktails after 4pm? Strange!! I would definitely stay here again

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank rachelbelfast
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the food - we love the pancakes too ! The room issues we will review.
Thanks again for the posting.
Portland, Or.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

OK hotel,only booked it as our tour left from there the next day. Manager at desk was grumpy,didn't greet us or smile, going through the motions. Room was average,yet clean. Bed was a disaster, the springs were broken, had to shove pillows under it for support, didn't say anything as I didn't feel like changing rooms and it wasn't the end of the world. Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Would I return? no, been to a lot nicer hotels for the price.

Room Tip: Check the bed before settling in!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KMacPortland_Or_
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Enjoyed this hotel and the attached pub. Comfortable room. No AC but opening the windows worked fine and our room was very quiet. The location is not as convenient as perhaps one without a car might want, but we are walkers so it was OK for us for one night. The only thing that seemed odd was that the only printer was on the pay internet station in the lobby - no way to print a boarding pass for your flight. Also used their laundry service - a bag for 11.50 seemed very reasonable and was back by early afternoon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello
Thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed you stay. We have free WIFI through out the building and are happy to print boarding passes for our guests. Just forward it on to us at reception.
Hope you will be able to stay again soon.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here with my son when we were over for the rugby. Could not have picked a better place to stay. Very welcoming staff. Lovely hotel, which was spotless and served up a first class breakfast.

It was very close to the stadium and not too far from Dublin City centre. Easily walking distance. I certainly would stay here again and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Top floor if possible. We had a massive balcony with a cracking view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tonyh190
Hello
Thanks for your posting and delighted you had a good stay. Hope to see you again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I recently stayed here with my daughter and saw a show at the grand canal theatre. The staff were ever so friendly and helpful. The rooms were modern and comfortable and the food was lovely. It's about a half an hour walk from st.stephens green.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula D
Hello
Thanks for the posting and delighted you enjoyed your stay and the show. Dirty Dancing is getting rave reviews and there is more to follow with Joseph, Blood Brothers and Elf all coming soon.
Many thanks again.