Grand Canal Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Drury Court Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$206
US$296
US$273
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Dublin Parnell Street(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$206
  • Restaurant
Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$194
US$191
US$155
Croke Park Hotel
Sandymount Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$173
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$157
US$148
Orbitz.com
1,865 results
All reviewsgasworks baraviva stadiumtheatre packagedart stationgas workscity centretheatre breakbord gais theatreminute walkfree car parkinglovely hotelbar foodbooked this hotelreception staffstayed here for one nighthotel bartwin room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2005

I and three friends had two twin rooms reserved in this hotel since mid August. I had also paid a deposit.
I rang the hotel two days prior to our arrival and was confidently told all was in order with our booking.

When we arrived to check in we were told that the hotel "got themselves into a situation" that meant they could not accommodate us as they were now full. We were shipped off across the city to a hotel far away from Lansdowne Road which did not suit us, as we were in Dublin for a match.

While we were waiting for our taxi, we saw two other couples being told the same story as us. There was no explanation given to anyone as to why they made no effort to contact us prior to our arrival.

They showed appalling customer service. If they are only interested in Bus Tours then they should not take reservations from other people as a back up plan.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank Patrick_E_Bateman
Reviewed 15 November 2005

Before the terrible service we had at breakfast I'd have rated this as quite a good hotel. In short - area much nicer than suggested in other reviews- absolutely fine and even buzzing. Rooms lovely and exceptionally clean. Service - unfriendly, basic and at times hideous !!
Breakfast was a complete joke with the restaurant being completely and utterly understaffed and with no sign of any figure of authority in the vicinity who could take a complaint. When we asked for more toast (we'd only been given 2 rounds between 4) the waiter was chheeky and said "oh you must be very hungry" there were no eggs when we asked for them with breakfast but the chef suggested we take the bacon on its own and he'd leave the egg over later !!??!! I sugested that we'd just wait at the buffet counter and he said "No you cant I need more space!" Speaking of space - we had none whatsoever at our breakfast table - it was atrocious. We were packed into one corner like sardines while the rest of the restaurant remained empty(and tables still dirty!) There were 4 of us and when one needed to move all 4 had to get up and manoevre the table accordingly. Orange juice was warm as was milk for cereal (after waiting 5 mins for the bowl!!) staff were particularly unfriendly and a bit bland to be honest.
In summary, hotel ok for one night but not to be relied on for famous Irish hospitality - atmosphereless !!!
PS - MOST HIDEOUS PART - I HAD TO PROVIDE MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS TO RECEPTION ON THE MORNING OF DEPARTURE IN ORDER TO MAKE A 30 CENTS LOCAL CALL FROM THE BEDROOM EVEN THOUGH I'D ALREADY CALLED FROM THE ROOM ABOUT 5 TIMES THE NIGHT BEFORE WITHOUT HAVING GIVEN MY DETAILS. !!!??!!

5  Thank SharonP
A TripAdvisor Member
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 3 November 2005

Stayed: October 2005
Reviewed 27 October 2005

Reviewed 26 October 2005

I was concerned having read the last review that our planned stay may be double booked. I contacted the hotel and they explained that there was a problem with bookings on 19th September, that this was not the norm and that I could be assured of my booking. I also asked for a room at the back of the hotel. When we checked in everything was as requested. We had booked to stay for 5 nights but a family crisis meant that we could only stay for 1 night. Having an Internet connection in the room meant that we were able to sort out flights at short notice. The room itself was a triple and we were impressed with the space, decor, cleanliness and comfort of the room. It was so nice to have a proper single bed rather than a Z bed or rollaway bed provided. I was impressed with the security in the hotel. It isn't possible to travel in the lift unless you have aroom key to activate the lift. I managed a quick couple of Guinness in Molly Malones and thought it had a nice ambiance. We also had room service which was reasonably priced, well presented, very enjoyable and delived quickly. Breakfast in the morning offered plenty of choice, again very enjoyable. Although we didn't get the opportunity to explore Dublin I did think it was very well situated for the DART station, literally opposite the hotel. This was our first visit to Dublin and we were very disappointed that we had to leave so quickly but hopefully we will return one day and I'll definitely book the same hotel again. The only down side was that I had pre-booked this trip with Airmiles and therefore could not reclaim the 4 nights / breakfast that I had paid for!

• Stayed: October 2005