Grand Canal Hotel
Ariel House(Dublin)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
1,865 results
All reviewsgasworks baraviva stadiumtheatre packagedart stationgas workscity centretheatre breakbord gais theatreminute walkfree car parkinglovely hotelbar foodbooked this hotelreception staffstayed here for one nighthotel bartwin room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2007

I stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights for his birthday. On arrival, we were told we had been upgraded to an executive suite - a great start! The room was nice, spacious and very clean. It's a bit of a walk into the city centre, but cabs are reasonably priced. Didn't try the food or the bar, but breakfast was good and quite cheap (around £10). All and all, I was very happy with the hotel

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2007

I live live in LA, and booked blindly based on others reviews. The hotel let us check in very early, did not expect that. The room was clean, the staff was awesome. I would recommend this hotel anytime

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2007

This hotel was fine - an acceptable 3 star, but we had a few issues with it, and we aren't very picky travelers. The room was extremely noisy. In bed at night, we could hear every door, every person in the hall, and whole conversations. When taking a shower, much of the water ran out the tub faucet instead of the shower head, so the water pressure was very light. And it was a longer walk then I had expected into town. We did walk it about once a day, but it took about 20-30 minutes, and wasn't at all an interesting walk. We gradually figured out the bus system, but it wasn't straightforward and twice we missed the last bus which ran around 23:15.

My inlaws are going to Dublin in a few months and I think we will look for someplace else for them to stay.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank DingleUK
Reviewed 12 November 2006

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. It's a nice, modern hotel located within 15 minutes walk of the city centre.

I won't repeat too many of the positive things, as you can read them below and for the most part I would agree with them. I will focus on a few of the gripes we had, which overall provide a reminder of why this hotel is a 3 star and no more.

My first problem came on walking into the Gasworks Bar at around 11pm on the Thursday evening of our stay. Despite being advertised as open until 11.30pm to the public and 1.30am to hotel guests, the staff were in the middle of putting all the stools on chairs. The bar was quietly busy and our arrival was greeted by a rather surly French guy telling us that they were closed. We told him we were residents and he (somewhat reluctantly) served us. As we sat down all the stools and chairs were still being put up all around us and everyone else in the bar. Not exactly welcoming and certainly not as advertised. Big black mark.

Next morning at breakfast was a similar story. Available until 10, we arrived at 9.40am to find all the tables had been used and none of them had been cleared. No orange juice left, and again that feeling from that staff that we were inconveniencing them simply by being there (perhaps they are only paid until 10?)

These two sum up the fundamental problem - a good hotel is hospitable and warm, these instances suggest the Grand Canal cannot deliver these key qualities.

Other minor gripes included a tray full of dirty plates laying untouched in our corridor for the duration of our (2 day) stay.

Like I said, overall this was a good hotel for the price - the reception desk staff were polite and helpful and the interior design is modern and well laid out. However I did feel compelled to share my experience so you realise the place is not without faults.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank nick78447
Reviewed 11 November 2006

the hotel is nice, but staff has no idea about anything. the breakfast is very dissappointing. I would say it is a middle class business hotels with very nice rooms.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business