“Excellent staff make this hotel exceptional.”

Maldron Hotel Smithfield
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
New Paltz, New York
“Excellent staff make this hotel exceptional.”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Although a little out of the Dublin city center, this hotel is great because the rooms are very clean and well appointed and the staff is exceptionally helpful--always friendly, humorous, and ready with good advice. When a ferry company went out of business necessitating on-the-spot revisions to my travel plans, they made at least four long-distance phone calls to help me rectify the situation. I ended up booking another night later in my trip, and they upgraded us to a suite, really excellent. If you stay in this hotel, don't miss the Cobblestone Pub across the way--it's a friendly, local pub with great traditional music. If ever in Dublin again, this will be where I stay.

1 Thank Susan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I would recommend this hotel, as it is a great price for what you get. I have stayed here twice now, and definitely will return. I got upgraded to a junior suite on my last visit, which was lovely, but the standard room that I stayed in previously was of a high standard also.
Staff were very pleasant on the front desk and helpful and very prompt in dealing with a small matter I had with my TV. The breakfast was OK (was included with the room on the second occasion), but there is also a good food market type thing a few doors down with lots of selection if you want to eat something lighter.
The underground car park is a teeny bit creepy arriving late at night, but I guess these things tend to be

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Maldron, Ann Marie Traynor, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear McGal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review on our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was delighted you found the rooms to be of such high standard throughout your stay. Cleanliness and customer services are two areas we strive to excel at here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield, and I am delighted to hear the staffs were so helpful and pleasant.

The car park attached to the hotel, while not owned or run by Maldron Hotel, does offer a great discount for hotel guests charging only €10 for 24 hours. While the car park can seem quiet at night it is very well lit and is monitored by 24 hour security as well as cctv.

We thank you once again for your wonderful review, and both the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Smithfield in the near future.

Cork
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed in The Moldron Hotel, Smithfield in November 2011
I highly reccomend this hotel. Location, price, cleanliness and food all excellent.
Our room was spacious the shower was fab and white fluffy towels were plentiful.
Our waiter at dinner was very helpful and next time I visit Dublin I will defineately stay
at the Maldron.

megret
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel is a little out of Dublin city center, but you can easily (15 minutes) walk to almost everything in Dublin. So, it's a good location, but not a great location.
The hotel is very basic, nothing fancy, definitely no more than a 3 star. The room was small, the bed was a full sized bed, which is pretty small for my husband and I. The hotel has no frills, it has a restaurant that we found overpriced. Everything was clean though and the staff were friendly. We arrived, right off the plane from America, and they allowed us to check in at 9am! Without even charging us extra, which made the beginning of our trip that much more enjoyable.
It was clean, safe and affordable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megret
Maldron, Ann Marie Traynor, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Megret,

Thank you so much for your review on tripadvisor.

Our location is extremely convenient as we are lucky to be have the Luas tram line on our doorstep areas such as the O2, Grand Canal Theatre and Convention Centre Dublin are easily and quickly accessible. Also we are located within walking distance of many of Dublin’s main attractions such as Jameson Distillery, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin Zoo and Temple Bar.

I was delighted you found the staff to be so friendly as service is a main priority for the team and I here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Smithfield in the future and we thank you once again for your positive feedback.

Nantes, France
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Ended up staying in this hotel as we had an early morning flight at the airport and wanted to be in the city center ish before going to the airport (and not staying at one of the airport hotels in the middle of no where so to speak)

Checked in and our room was nice (slightly smaller than some places I've stayed)
Coffee making facilities / A nice round glass table and spotless bathroom / toilet.

I used live in Stoneybatter so I know the area and opted to grab some Indian in a little take away around the corner ( 8.50 for their daily special but I got the Chicken Tikka Roll which is always a favourite of mine) Into Fresh ( an up market pricey enough supermarket ) just beside to pick up a beer for the Indian (while we waited the 10 minutes for our meal to be ready) and back to the hotel room to eat it all.

After that across to the cobblestone for a few pints of guinness and some trad.

My only problem with the hotel was that on checkin we asked if they could book us a taxi and they offered a wake up call for 4:45 neither of which were done. Thankfully we'd set a mobile alarm so were awake. (I've relied on other hotels wakeup calls before)

Hence the place is getting a 4/5 stars or I would have probably given the place a 5 (I'm also marking the service as poor due to this) They had no record of the taxi request or the wake up call request. We distinctly saw the girl on reception marking it down on our checkin card. These things happen I know but it could have potentially meant we missed our early morning flight. Thankfully there are lots of taxis in Dublin so one arrived in 5 minutes when the night porter rang one.

Booking online you're able to get a room for around 53€ (breakfast not included) which is great value in my experience of Dublin. Would definitely stay there again.

A Taxi to the airport will cost around the 25€ mark.

Room Tip: The vending machine in the foyer has Ponchos / Travel plug adapters / travel razor kit (though you...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Forbairt,

Thank you so much for you wonderful review on Trip advisor. Your review is much appreciated and the team and I are delighted with your positive comments.

I agree our location is certainly a special key factor. We are lucky to be a city centre property which is conveniently located for local attractions, court services, shopping areas, and temple bar along with having the Luas on our doorstep, as well as numerous bars and restaurants.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Service and cleanliness are two elements that we here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield strive to excel at. The entire team and I are delighted that you found the rooms to be so clean.

I was very upset that a breakdown in communication which led to the issue with your taxi and wakeup call not being actioned. Training is currently being carried out with all front office staff to ensure this does not happen in future.

We thank you once again for your positive review and both the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Smithfield in the near future.

Kind Regards

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

A friend and I stayed here for 4 nights for a girly long weekend and couldn't have picked a better hotel. It is clean, tidy and in a great location. Price was amazing, we booked on hotels.com and got a great rate.
Our room as the pictures below was great.... tele a bit stone age but Dublin is great so you don't really need it.
Make sure you ask if you want sheets and towels changed (they do say this on a note in the room, ours were done once automatically.) Book in advance for the buffet brekkie (again very nice!) to get a discount but there is a supermarket right next door to get pastries or fruit from in the mornings so you don't need to do this everyday. There was a half board menu which we didn't go for, we did eat at the Hotel's restaurant 'Stir' once and it was really nice but the half board menu didn't change and wasn't very exciting so I would suggest eating out. Hotel is in walking distance to EVERYTHING!!! We walked to the zoo, grafton street shops, the spire, temple bar and guiness store house from here.
We used the Airlink green bus to the airport and back, it was 6 euro each way and stops very near by. You can buy the tickets from the hotel.

Over all would recommend 100%!!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 517 on the 5th floor......... balcony has a really great view from this level and su...
Dear Jessica D,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Service and cleanliness are two elements that we here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield strive to excel at. The entire team and I are delighted that you found the rooms to be so clean and tidy.

In regards to breakfast thank you for your positive feedback. Sandra our Head Chef has been continuously working very hard to constantly change and improve the quality, standards, and variety of our breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comment.

Regards

Manistee, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My girlfriends and I stayed here for a girl's week and aside from internet issues (no wifi in rooms, and the ethernet cable doesn't work with MAC), we couldn't have been more pleased with our stay.

The room was clean, the towels were plentiful and huge, beds were very comfortable, and while it was a little out of the way from the traditional tourist haunts (but only about a 10 minute walk away), there were bus and train stops within a block. We found it very easy to get around, and our sleep wasn't disturbed by loud party goers.

It's also directly across the square from the Old Jameson Distillery, and I highly recommend taking the tour if you have a chance, a lot of fun.

We didn't do the hotel breakfast, instead eating every morning at a little coffee shop across the square called "Cinnamon's". The food was fantastic, price was good, and the employees were fabulous. A definite must if you're staying at the Smithfield Maldron in Dublin.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Lisa H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted you found the room to be so comfortable and clean. Cleanliness is also a high priority for us, as we strive to ensure that every room is 100% for our guests.

I agree that our location is certainly a special key factor. Although a city centre property, the area is very peaceful, and noise is not issue for any of our guests.
We are lucky to be a city centre property which is conveniently located for local attractions, shopping areas, and temple bar along with having the Luas on our doorstep.