“Great base for exploring Dublin”

Maldron Hotel Smithfield
Ranked #57 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is my second visit to this hotel and I was as pleased with it the second time as I as the first. As other reviewers have mentioned it is in a quiet area so that plus a comfortable bed helps ensure a good nights sleep. I whole heartedly agree with Marika H regarding the area - it isn't touristy but has a certain charm. The Luas (tram) is only a few minutes walk from the hotel and the trams run frequently and cost €1.70 - but if you are fit for walking then is a pleasant walk into the city and you can pop into the Jervis Centre on the way past.

The staff at the Maldron, Smithfield are friendly and helpful; rooms are clean and comfortable and the ones on the 6th floor offer a terrific urban landscape. WiFi is free and the connection was good. Shampoo / soap is via wall dispensers. Breakfast is what is normal for 'buffet' type breakfasts. In my view the hotel offers excellent value for money and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor this time and the room (a suite) was excellent - it appeared to be recently r...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lesley R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

When you take a first look at Smithfield it doesn't scream tourist friendly. But when you get to know it, you'll grow to liked (just like I did). So, I liked the location of hotel. Near the city centre, if you like to walk it takes about 15-20 minutes, by tram about 5-10 minutes.

Staff was friendly, ready to help if needed. We actually go to into our room before the official check in- time, wich was nice.

Our room was on the 2nd floor by the inner courtyard side. On night time you could hear noises from outside really good even tough you had your windows closed. The other bed that we had made a squeaking noise, wich actually bothered my friend who is a light sleeper (I slept fine on the squeaking bed).Otherwise the room had everything you would night for a five night stay.
Breakfast was good and the waiter was really friendly.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If possible choose a room that is NOT located in the inner courtyard side
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was very impressed by the warmth and friendliness of the reception staff.

The room was clean, well heated ( and not too hot) and the bed very comfortable .
Area surprisingly quiet - I had a very good night's sleep.
Bathroom large and spotless.
Only minor quibble was that no shampoo provided and soap dispenser rather stiff.

all in all, a good value commercial hotel which I have no difficulty in recommending.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Well located with a short walk along the river to everything you may want to see. I was here only one night and had a short stroll, took about 20 minutes tops and I was only mooching about.

As far as the hotel goes.

Good points - Warm welcome, Good WiFi throughout, facilities to make a hot drink

Bad points - My room smelt of smoke, if you are front facing and keep the window open you will hear lots of noise, the TV and channels were like something from the ark.

Finally, it seems if you haven't booked breakfast prior to arrival you can save a couple of Euros by saying you will book for the following morning. I did that but what happened at breakfast was I had the staff demanding my voucher, which I wasn't given. The guy telling me that I would be billed 10 Euros rather than the 8 Euros I had agreed to.

Fortunately the receptionist who booked me in was on duty and resolved the matter quickly.

Breakfast.... average by the way.

Room Tip: Room at the back or the upper levels to avoid noise from pedestrians and people using the bike rack!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I will be fair with my review of this hotel.
Pros:
Good size rooms
Friendly and helpfull staff
Good location, close to good restaurants, supermarket, pubs and bars, gym, Luas tram, movie theater

Cons:
I was given room 207, across from the elevator. It was noisy due to drunk and loud people using the lift. The commotion happens between midnight to around 3:00 am. Needless to say, I did not get a single good night sleep during my 9 day stay at Maldron Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my partner for a city a break. Staff were a little under whelming (looked terribly uninterested) on check in but more than helpful. Had a little issue with the window in the room not wanting to close, but they were pretty swift in resolving. Room was lovely and clean, can't fault it at all really. Had breakfast on the first morning in the hotel which was around 10 euros each, fairly decent buffet selection but won't blow you away. Was a little cold and I'm confident the sausages were plastic. I recommend the little red cafe en route to the river as the breakfast there was brilliant. Hotel situated a good 10-15 minute walk from Temple Bar, really good access to everything you will want to see. The area itself is a little run down, a few derelict houses and supposedly not the area it once was. Overall though can't really argue with what was on offer for the price, though would try somewhere different if we return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here for the final night of a Roadtrip around Ireland and booked the hotel through a Secret Escapes deal. Excellent value for money. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and although the food wasn't anything special, it was good enough. The breakfast was a buffet as you'd expect in a city centre hotel. Again, good enough. Our ferry back home was cancelled so we had several hours to wait. The 3 pm checkout was a godsend! The only drawback was finding the hotel in the first place. I had to call reception and they were very good at directing me in. Perhaps better directions to the car park could be put on the hotel website?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple