“Am I glad we stayed here...everything we needed in one friendly hotel”

Maldron Hotel Smithfield
Ranked #53 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We were looking for a nice hotel with a small budget to stay for 2 weeks that could be home while we celebrated daughter's graduation from Trinity College. We were so pleased. The staff was very friendly and any problems were quickly rectified. We were 2 blocks from the Luas rail so we were accessible to virtually anyplace in Dublin. There is a great market that we bought items to eat right next door to the hotel. I was immediately able to connect to the internet at no cost and had no problems with connections while we were there. Our room accomodations were clean and we had a big bathroom. Living in the United States we are use to lots of personal space and the room was smaller than we were use to but more than ample for our time spent in the hotel. TV had a built in DVD that allowed me to watch a DVD that I had brought for "winding down" time. Security was nice with electronic keys that worked in the elevator to access your floor as well as your room and the lights in your room. Hotel was "green" conscious without being overbearing. Occasional street noise but if the sun doesn't set until 11 pm and the city is located in Dublin center, you expect a little noise.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Maldron, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Dear kr_satexas,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful and positive review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be so helpful. The entire team and I were happy you found the rooms to be so clean and the staff to be so friendly. Cleanliness is a priority for us here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield and we strive to ensure our rooms are 100% for each of our guests.

We are lucky to be a city centre property, and with the luas only 2 minutes from the hotel it allows easy access to local attractions, shopping areas, the O2 as well as court services.

We are delighted you found our property to be “green” conscious, as we do our best to be aware of our carbon footprint.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and thank you once again for taking the time to post your wonderful review on our hotel.

Regards

There are newer reviews for Maldron Hotel Smithfield

Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed at the Maldron Smithfield Hotel for 4 nights from 25/6 - 29/6 and chose it based on its location which is close to where we stayed on our last visit and because it is located slightly away from the main city centre area but still in close walking distance (10-15 minute walk).

Upon arrival (past midnight) we were put up in a smoking room, on a smoking floor which was not satisfactory as both my husband and i don't smoke. The smell of smoke hit you as soon as you came out of the lift and the room was worse, making my eyes water! IOur first night was further ruined after the return of the guests staying in the room next to us who were very loud at 3am in the morning, banging on the walls and shouting at one another.

We requested a change of room straight away and this did not actually happen until much later the following afternoon but luckily we were out for most of the day.

Things improved a great deal as soon as we were moved to our non-smoking room. The rooms are very modern and the balacony was a lovely touch, especially the views. Bathrooms are basic with shower gel provided and quite spacious-larger than some hotels I have stayed in. As we did not stay on a B&B basis, I cannot comment on the food but the staff were very friendly and the location of this hotel is a big plus.

Upon returning to the hotel in the evenings we never felt threatened and although there are drunks that hang around further down the road during the day they were never a problem and never apprached us.

We will certainly choose this hotel again on our next visit to this great city but will definitley be requesting a non-smoking room - something which I have never had a problem with at previous hotels we have stayed at. As a general policy (IMO) guests should be booked into non-smoking unless they request smoking. But overall a great stay after the first night.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Maldron, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Dear Jojo2128

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted you found the staff to be friendly and enjoyed your room stay. Customer service is something we strive to excel at here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield and I am delighted that your experience was such a pleasurable one.

Our location is a great advantage to us. Although a city centre property, the area is very peaceful, and located beside the Garda station ensures that the area is a very safe one.

We are lucky to be a city centre property which is conveniently located for local attractions, shopping areas, Court Services, O2 and temple bar along with having the Luas on our doorstep.

I am very disappointed to hear that your room allocation at the beginning of your stay was such a disappointment. Although we only have a limited number of smoking rooms in the hotel, unfortunately on occasions when we are fully booked it may mean that moving rooms is not possible until after guests have vacated their rooms. We do try to ensure that all requests are met, and any requests on booking for a non smoking room are noted when allocating rooms.

In reference to your issue regarding noise I sincerely apologise as this behaviour is strictly not tolerated in the hotel. We have a 24 hour desk and security that controls such issues that may occur and are on hand to aid all of our guest’s requests.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and should you wish to make any specific requests regarding your room allocation please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 01 485 0900 or alternatively on info.smithfield@maldronhotels.com.

Regards

Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield on our recent trip to Dublin. I had stayed there a few years ago and thought it was good then (it was a comfort inn at the time) so rebooked to stay again this year when taking a family trip. The hotel is in a great location, just 15 mins walk from the centre of Dublin or literally at the end of the street is the Luas tram which is very cheap and regular. What I liked about the hotel is that it is in a large pedestrianised area, so no busy traffic noise, it feels very open, there is shops and restaurants near by - and it is great value for money.

We booked 3 double rooms with breakfast, i had requested a high floor so we could have views - which we got! We were also able to check in very early as the rooms were ready which was a huge help to us. The rooms were large - they all had a double and single in there, with plenty of room for a table and chairs too, all were immaculately clean, the bathrooms were well equipped and the balcony is lovely to relax on. The breakfast was good - a good selection of irish cooked breakfast, cereals, cheeses, breads, fruits etc.

The service at the hotel was very friendly, we didn't need much help as everything was already very good - but what we did ask for, we got instantly and with a smile, whether it be a new remote control or a taxi to get us to the airport! I cannot fault the hotel, if you are looking for a very nice hotel in a good quiet location, yet still close to the action - you will not beat this hotel - and trust me - i am a fussy traveller!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Maldron, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Dear Guest,

Thanking you very much for taking the time to post your wonderful and positive review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Service and cleanliness are two elements that we here at the Maldron Hotel Smithfield thrive on. The entire team and I are delighted that you found the service so friendly, efficient and that you found our rooms to be so spacious and clean. Cleanliness is also a high priority for us, as we strive to ensure that our room product is 100% for our guests.

In regards to breakfast thank you for your positive feedback. Recently Sandra our new Head Chef joined the team, and she has been working very hard to increase the quality, standards and variety of our breakfast.

I agree that our location is certainly a special key factor. Although a city centre property, the area is very peaceful, and noise is not issue for any of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comment.

Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2010

The staff were extremly well informed and very helpful, the room quality was excellent for the money, The experience was good within the Hotel especially for a business traveller. The only concern is the location while it was very central for my business meetings it felt unsafe to go outside at night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Maldron, Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you have reported you enjoyed your stay with us in the hotel. Service is vitally important to us all here in the hotel and thank you for recognizing the effort made by each and every staff member. The hotel is great value for money and offers are for the most part always available.

In relation to the area to date we have had no problems and as you may have noticed we are located close by to Bride well police station which is a great asset as it deters any public issues. The Garda also have an active presence in Smithfield area. As a point to note Dublin City Council are currently investing a large sum of money to improve the Smithfield plaza which we are very grateful for.

In my opinion our location is certainly a special key factor. We are lucky to be a city centre property which is conveniently located for local attractions, court services, shopping areas, and temple bar along with having the Luas on our doorstep.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to post your positive comment on Trip advisor.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2010

i travelled to dublin for a city break and i chose this hotel for its location i was not disappointed. it was easy to get about as the luas (tram) station was just round the corner the hotel was modern very clean all the staff were friendly and helpful the room i had faced the square it had a small balcony to stand out on and a seating area inside by the floor to ceiling window (a nice place to read a book)
the restaurant in the hotel served a good selection for breakfast full english/irish cereal toast and porridge boiled eggs and croissant

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Maldron, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for you great review on Trip advisor. Your review is much appreciated and the team and I are delighted with your positive comments.

I am delighted with your comments especially in reference to our customer service and friendly staff both something we strive to excel here at The Maldron Hotel Smithfield, and I am delighted we achieved to make your stay an excellent and enjoyable one.

I agree that our location is certainly a special key factor. We are lucky to be a city centre property which is conveniently located for local attractions, shopping areas, and temple bar along with having the Luas on our doorstep.

In regards to breakfast thank you for your comments. We have a new chef Sandra in place and she is working hard on delivering standards and extra quality and value for all our guests.

I am delighted you liked your room and the balcony was of assistance to you while you were reading. Cleanliness is something we do not do by halves to ensure the rooms is 100% for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comment and scoring us fill marks resulting in 100%

Thanking you once again,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2010

I stayed with a friend recently and was extremely impressed. The room itself was beautiful and immaculately clean. We ate both out dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the food was delicious. The staff could not have been any more helpful otr friendly. It is within walking distance to all the sights and attractions. I will definately be visiting again and would recommend it to anyone visiting Dublin.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Maldron, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2010

Dear Gem0210,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor.
I was delighted to read that you were so impressed with the hotel service and cleanliness. These are two areas that I and the Maldron Hotel team pride ourselves’ on and comments such as yours are a great boost to the team.

We have recently welcomed a new head chef to the team, and have recently made many changes and improvements to menu. We are delighted to receive such positive feedback on our restaurant and food.

Both I and the Maldron Hotel Team look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to make our day with your wonderful and positive comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 June 2010

Perfect location, 2 mins from town. General Manager was excellent, as was the night porter. Rooms were ideal & great value for money. Room Service was great but location is key here. I'd def be back.

• Stayed: June 2010

Dear Ruth Cork,

Thank you so much for you wonderful review on Trip advisor. Your review is much appreciated and the team and I are delighted with your positive comments.

I am delighted that our night porter made such a good impression. Excellent customer service is something we strive to excel here at The Maldron Hotel Smithfield, and I am delighted we achieved to make your stay an excellent and enjoyable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards