“Very good value for money”
Review of Maples House Hotel

Maples House Hotel
Ranked #97 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed here on Saturday night with my boyfriend at a 40th Birthday Party. The room were the party was held was a perfect size (there was about 90 there). The parking isn't great but we found somewhere eventually although the location was perfect and we got a stroll in at Botanic gardens, lucky considering the weather! Our room was comfy, basic but clean and definitely very good value for money. Be sure to try out the chicken wings, they were delish!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2012

stayed in this hotel last week for a friends wedding!first off i cannot fault the staff and facilities apart from the bedroom.the day of the wedding was perfect,staff were friendly the food and service excellent.but im afraid that is where our good experience ends.we were allocated room or should i say box no 22.my husband and i were not impressed by the size of the room and the fact the bed was against the wall therefore i had to climb over my husband to reach the toilet,which was bad planning but it got even worse when we eventually got to bed.we discovered a gap under the door off approx 2inchs which meant every person that passed our room,which was the first room on the corridor,unless were extremely quiet woke us up.then again the next morning when breakfast was served.when we eventually got up my husband went down to reception to complain where he was met with a very stern and short lady who simply replied the hotel does not give refunds and gave us 20 as a good will gesture!i was absolutely disgusted and just seen it as an insult!i have taken pictures of the room and door and will be taking the matter further as it is a fire safety hazard!

Room Tip: not room 22
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank glynner9
MaplesHotel, Manager at Maples House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for making us aware of your dissatisfaction with your stay, we pride ourselves on good customer service.
I'm afraid any issues regarding the layout of the rooms is due to the fact that it is originally an Edwardian period property, we do our best to provide comfortable, affordable accommodation at all times while maintaining the integrity of the building. In the relation to your fire safety concerns, we are fully certified and fire safety compliant.
We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us but please be assured that we will take your comments into consideration and appreciate your valued feedback.
The Management.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Friendly staff helped me find close accommodations for one extra night I needed as they were fully booked. Made the call and reservation for me. (Ann Marie) Beyond great customer service. Having travelled and stayed in hotels, B&Bs and hostels, The Maples was a treat. The room (#27) was very clean, modern and quiet. The bar and restaurant were terrific and handy after a long day of touring around. Had greek salad and the best sticky toffee cake I've ever had. Along with a pint a guinness and a room full of strangers all fixed on the Euro match, it was a very comfortable and safe place to stay. A 15 min bus ride (three dif buses #4, #9 and #140) got you to the centre of town starting as early as 5:30am. This was great for meeting some of the early morning day tours and it got you speaking with the locals which always adds a specialness to the day/trip. The rooms are for the cost conscious. You can't expect to get spacious luxury for 50E a night. Get serious.

Room Tip: My room was the last one in my hallway. No neighbor next to me or under me. I use earplugs when I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Maples during my very first night of a 1 week vacation in Dublin. I chose The Maples because I wanted to initially cut on costs (50Euro for one night) and the pictures made it look like a very amenable hotel.

However I was not expecting nor fully satisfied with the overall outcome. Like in all my reviews for my Dublin trip (hotels - Fairview in Killarney, Paramount in Temple Bar, Plaza Hotel in Tallaght, Park House in Galway) I have provided Pros and Cons below.

PROS
- The staff is polite and friendly. The young gentleman that led me to my room was helpful in giving verbal directions on my first day. He was a nice guy.

-Neighborhood - safe safe safe. I walked back my first night at around 9pm. There's nothing but small family homes and few churches. Well lighted streets and no sketchy folk in the area.

-That's it!

CONS
-Now don't get me wrong, the hotel isn't horrible and I wasn't completely dissatisfied upon my initial arrival. HOWEVER, it wasn't until I experienced FIVE different hotels throughout Ireland that this one clearly pales in comparison!

-Distance - it does NOT take 10 minutes to get to the Dublin center (which I designate as the Spire located in the center city). This is what they told me at the front desk upon check in. Maybe if I sprinted I could do it in 10 minutes. I read in a few review/description/website that the distance was close. Yes, it is walking distance. But NO it is not 10 minutes. I'm a fit / athletic male and it took me 35-40min of brisk walking just to get to Temple Bar. I did this on my first day, in the rain.
The cost of a taxi from airport to The Maples is approx 25 Euro.

-Small gripe regarding the rain (which I didn't mind), but The Maples has no umbrellas for guests. Every hotel I went to had some umbrella for guests, I didn't mind, but just an observation.

-Cost - for 50 euro, I thought I'd be saving versus say 69 euro at Paramount in the heart of Temple Bar. To be honest, I would've gladly paid 19 more euro to cut the distance. As well...

-Room - not fantastic, not at all. The room was small and cramped. There was a scent of cigarette smoke as well even though I had thought the hotel or at least my room was nonsmoking. The shower was small and clean. It was a strange layout for the room with two full beds flanking the wall and a large closet on the other end. Lastly the shower stall was spacious but horrendous. The drain didn't work and i was wading in water up to my ankles.

-Breakfast - NOT a traditional Irish breakfast. Just looks they tossed together OJ in a pitcher with a couple yogurts and store bought pastries. It wasn't until Galway and Killarney where I experienced a true Irish breakfast (see other reviews for more).

I'm a pretty frequent traveller and stayed in worse places so all of the above were tolerable, but to be fair -

This would NOT be my first choice for a hotel due to the distance and the price (you can definitely find better if you look around). As such, I would NOT recommend this to my family nor friends.

Room Tip: The pictures on the site inflate the quality of the room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank scalpelx1
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We had the bad luck of staying here during live music night. Our room was thumping until around 1230 when we finally got some quite. I guess we should have gone down and enjoyed our selves but we had to wake up super early to drive across the country. That being said, the room we received was small and cramped. The bed was WAY to soft though clean. We had high hopes for this place....unfortunately it didn't work out.

TIP: If you are driving beware the "free street parking". The street is PACKED (or at least it was the night we stayed there) and I ended up having to walk some distance just to get back to the BB. Also if the front desk recommends any places to eat or drink....simply ignore them and go down town. In an effort to demonstrate there excellent location we were told to walk 20 minutes into "down town". This area was shady and miserable. The real down town area is an other 10 minutes walk and nice.

Room Tip: I would say try to book a room on the top floor, but then you'd have to walk up a lot more steps...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JohnsEcho
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Second stay here. Parking is a problem, or at least it is for the neighbours! checked with reception if it was ok to park opposite the hotel and was told yes. The next morning...a bollard was on the roof and a big dent and scratches to the paintwork! Needed to change rooms for the second night as there was a birthday party in and the noise went on till half five! That said, they lost my reservation upon arrival and tried to charge me the summer high rate in March! All in all, the staff are really friendly and the breakfast is excellent. Its good value for its location but best to avoid the weekends!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Connemaraman
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The staff here make this hotel.. Lovely welcome could not do enough for you.. Food looked really good, although I was going out for a meal so did not taste it.. Rooms are on the small side and walls are paper thin so that is only reason I did not give it 5 stars..
Would stay again..

Room Tip: Parking is free on street, but if there are games on in Croke Park it could be harder to find
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple