“Rip-off”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #55 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I found this hotel to be a total wast of money. We live in Dublin but stayed here for a riends birthday to make it more special. he staff were incredibley rude!! We arrived at 4 O'clock- after the 2pm check in time to be told no rooms were available. The receptionist took my credit card and started typing away. Another guy then showed up and the two of them started speaking a foreign language while still looking at my card. i became worried as i thought something may be wrong with my booking-- which there wasn't. It took us over half an hour to check in. When we finally got to our room it was nice and spacious with a big bathroom. We went out, however when we came back we couldn't get into our room- there was a problem with the card- 4 trips to reception later it was sorted!!!
The room was very clean and tidy and the beds comfy. The room was on a busy main road so not exactly quiet but we didn't mind. However, the hot water in the taps was way too hot and we couldn't use it for fear of getting burnt.
I would recommended girls staying here to bring their own hairdryers the one is the room does not work!
We were also woken up by the maid at 9am on a Sunday moring- dispite only getting home at 5!! we didn't put the do not disturb sign on the door as we have never felt the need before

Upon checking out we came accross more utter rudeness from reeption- we were told we had already checked out and to just leave!!!

This hotel is not as near as you would think and i would never stay again!

Room Tip: Bring your own hairdryers and keep expectations l!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your review, we are currently reviewing some of our older reviews to ensure O'Callaghan Stephen's Green continues to offer distinguished service and excellent accommodation. I wish to acknowledge receipt of your review as feedback both positive and constructive allows for enhanced improvements at the hotel.

Kind regards,
Paul Clifford

Reviewed 4 April 2011

General impression of this place was good. Easy to find, being at such a great location in the nicer part of south-central Dublin. Smart looking building, and a good intro to the city. Dealt with very quickly and pleasantly by the person on reception.

The room (1226) was fairly large, and nicely presented. Took us a while to figure out how to turn the lights on - you have to put your keycard into a slot in the wall - and a bit surprising this wasn't explained on check-in. Bit more of the old Cillit-Bang on the grouting in the bathroom would be good, but otherwise nothing wrong with the appearance or cleanliness. Hairdryer, iron, kettle. No biscuits though!

Our room was very quiet, with no street noise as it was to the side - however, because of this we did get a fairly grim view of the building next door - although much preferred to having a noisy room. The temperature was too high though, even without the heating on. We tried in vain to get the air-con working, which just seemed to chuck out hot air no matter what combination of buttons we used. In retrospect, we should have asked but did not want to disturb the staff at 3am! Didn't get much sleep due to the temperature on the first night, and so opened the window on the second night - luckily it was fairly quiet.

Give the bar a miss by the way - staff not quite on the ball in there (if they are there at all), but this is an aside and don't let that put you off staying in the hotel itself.

3 stars seemed too low, but 4 is probably a bit too much for just shy of £90 (without breakfast). I think if the price included breakfast, even just the continental, then it would be better value. I would recommend this place without hesitation but think there are probably slightly cheaper comparable options.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Kind regards,
Paul Clifford

Reviewed 29 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel with a friend for a few days around St Patricks day. The hotel was great. It was clean, comfortable, had the amenities needed, etc. I was on the second floor up so I could hear people if they were loud in the street....but surprisingly it wasnt that bad. I think it was because the location was further away from most of the bar areas. I enjoyed the stay and would recommend it to others. It is especially good for being in a convenient location with easy access to most areas - but outside of the temple bar or trinity college areas which can get quite noisy.

My one complaint about the hotel is that at check in they made us give our credit card again and took $400. Despite the room being already paid for. When we asked why the woman just keep saying that it was for protection and that we would get it back if there were no damages. It was really weird but when we were leaving we ended up speaking to a manager who informed us that it was to cover for damages, and wasnt actually charged to the credit card, just pre-approved in case they need to take it. It would have been much better if that was explained when we arrived.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
StephensGreenGM, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review in relation to your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Dublin, and in the O'Callaghan Stephens Green hotel.

Upon checkin, it is policy to take a preauthorisation on checkin, even though the room is prepaid, to enable you to charge back drinks, food telephone calls etc to your room. If however, you do not use any facilities within the hotel during your stay, we release the preauthorisation upon checkout. It is just a security swipe, and does not take anything from your credit card upon checkin.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green hotel.

Yours Faithfully

Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel the night before International womens day. To be frank I had tried to cancel it because of reading poor reviews but lastminute.com assured me to go ahead and all would be well. I arrived during the hours of darkness and to be honest walked right past the hotel as it's not directly on the green and it's poorly lit, despite the availability of good signage through glass at the side. Despite it being 8.15 pm the restaurant was empty and in near total darkness. Check in was friendly enough and I was shown to a room near the elevator. Expecting signs of age, I was pleasantly surprised. Curtains and furnishings were new and the bed good. The room overlooked the main room and was noisy but this is to be accepted for the area. Plumbing was also noisy.
With no one in the restaurant, I made for the bar. Service was friendly but the seating throughout requires extensive refurbishment and the flooring needs a scrape and polish to bring it to it's former glory. TV only was available in the bar. As a frequent resident in the Elliott Gibraltar O'Callaghan I missed the availability of live music which would have added to the atmosphere. The bar food was more than acceptable, good quantity and quality and nicely presented. Prices were also acceptable.
Considering the location of this hotel a lot more could be done to make it a happening place to be and something the staff could be proud of, rather than the tired place to be that it has become.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Elena_Talpalaru, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback relating to your recent stay with us, as always, we very much appreciate that you took time to do so.

We look forward to accommodating you in the upcoming future!
Regards,
Elena Talpalaru

Reviewed 15 March 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend of 12th March. I'll start with the good points; the hotel is in a great location, very easy to find and within a couple of minutes walk from the shops and restaurants but far enough away to be fairly quiet. The rooms are a good size and the beds are really comfy. The showers are powerful and the toilettries are good quality.

Unfortunately there is a real lack of care and attention to detail. Below is my list of things that were wrong with my stay - although most of them are not significantly bad in themselves, overall they create a really poor impression of this hotel -
Room 1602:
1. We were first put in room 1602 which is a huge room however the heating did not work and the room was stuck at 15 degrees. One of teh receptionists came up and tried to fix it but it still didn't work. We asked to move rooms which took over an hour because the only room available was a twin and there were only 2 members of staff in the hotel and one was on his break so we had to wait for the room to be made up.
2. The curtains and palmet in room 1602 were filthy, they had clearly not be cleaned in a very long time.

Room 1618:
1. The heating works but would not go any higher than 23 degrees (yes 23 degrees would be very warm but I'm not convinced the temperature controls were correct as it definitely wasn't 23 degrees in the room.
2. The bathroom towel rail is hanging off the wall
3. There are no coat hooks in the room
4. The bowl for toilettries is dusty and badly chipped
5. The chair in the room is wonky
6. The reading lights above the bed do not work
7. There are no wine glasses, fridge or minibar
8. The interconnecting door in this room is not locked and the hotel staff were unable to provide a key for it.
9. The guest directory is dirty and scruffy and fails to provide basic information such as breakfast times and restaurant opening hours.
10. The room suffers from noise from the lifts.
11. The noise from the heating system is akin to a 747 starting up it's engines in the room, it is so loud it is impossible to sleep with the heating on. Even after turning it off I could hear the heating system in the unnoccupied room next door.
12. Worryingly, the fire plan on the back of the bedroom door is out of date and does match the actual layout and room numbers of this floor.
13. The shower screen is siliconed in place to the bath so it is impossible to move - this makes it really difficult to run a bath without standing in the bath itself.
14. The hotel bar was out of pineapple juice - come on, you are a hotel with bar and restaurant, how can you have run out of such a basic ingrediant.

All of these points make for a really dissappointing experience at this hotel. The majority of these issues are immediately obvious upon a proper inspection of the room so I do not understand why these haven't been picked up by the housekeeping staff and dealt with. It feels very much as if the general manager has never stayed in one of these rooms as the basics are right but the detail is not up to scratch for a 4* hotel.

This could be a great hotel but sadly the staff do not seem to care enough.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jimbo1683
StephensGreenGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write your reviews in relation to your recent stay with us. As i mentioned in my personal email to you last week, the bedrooms do not have coat hooks, however this is something that we can easily address.
The chairs in the bedrooms are all swivel, and upon inspection of the room, there does not appear to be a problem with this chair.
The reading lights above the bed are controlled from a switch on the headboard, and again upon inspection of the room, both reading lights were working fine.
We do not provide mini bars or fridges in the room, however we do have a 24 hour room service available, and we do provide glasses on the tea tray in each room.
The shower screen is siliconed to prevent the glass door from swinging open and hitting off the marble bathroom top.
The times for breakfast are made clear upon checkin, and they are also stated in the guest directory.

I have taken all your comments on board, and alll feedback is important to us, so that we can continue to improve our product and service.
Thank you once again, and i hope i get the opportunity to welcome you back to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel.

General Manager.

Reviewed 10 February 2011

just back from a two night stay in this hotel. The hotel was hard to find but it is a nice hotel. Reception staff were friendly, The dinner portions were generous but a bit expensive. Room was comfortable. Bed in room was very comfortable. Very noisy all hours of the night. I was put in a room facing the street so I was kept awake by traffic. I wished there was instructions on how to use the shower. Breakfast was just average. Overall I wouldn't be turned off this hotel and I would stay there again if they reduced the price.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank seasonedtraveller94

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your nice feedback. It is very unusual that we get complaints from the street noise, as although some of our rooms are front facing, they are very well sound proffed.
We can certaintly place instructions in the room as to how to operate the shower.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan stephens green hotel.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

Room overlooking busy street so quite noisy. Comfortable large bed but basic furnishings, I had to ask for a hairdryer which appartently should have been in my room. Breakfast room furnishing dirty and in need of updating. Breakfast is very definitely self-service. Having put a pot of tea on my table waitress spent rest of time talking to a colleague. I was not asked if I required anything else. Choice was very limited. You even have to do your own toast. Many of the staff nowadays in some of these (pretentious) Dublin hotels are European not Irish. English is a second language. Owners must try harder to expect return business instead of finding ways to cut costs - at the expense of the paying client.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MotC

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments in relation to your recent stay with us. I was surprised to hear that you found the room noisy, as all rooms are very well sound proffed. The hotel bedrooms have just been refurbished, and the feedback is very positive from our customers.
I shall certainly take your comments on board in relation to the restaurant, and we shall revisit the buffet choices.

Thank you once again for your feedback, as all feedback whether positive or negative, is constructive, and assists us in improving our product and service.