“Very Good”

Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Toronto, Canada
“Very Good”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Good hotel, excellent front desk staff, large spacious rooms, very good location close to shopping, breakfast is good but staff are slow responding. Elevators are small but fast and easy to get when needed. Hosts a major Canadian airlines air crew.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Hind B,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We were delighted you enjoyed your time with us here in the hotel.

I do hope we get the pleasure of your company in the near future.

Dara Cruise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My whole week stay there was a calamity of errors so its hard to know where to start.

One with the unkept room, hard as hell bed, paper thin pillows, ceiling that leaked like a waterfall as soon as the person above you started showering, the banging of the doors by the housekeeping staff, the piece of bacon n the floor that stayed there my entire visit just to see if anyone ever cleaned it! Its probably still there!

The breakfast is the worst part, gross! I thought most people could get breakfast right. Awful coffee, watery overcooked scrambled eggs, yuck!!

After requesting a room away from the street as it is incredibly loud street side, we were promised everything would be moved into the new room. They forgot. Even though we were paying a higher rate for the new room. We then moved everything ourselves in their broken down luggage cart.

Now I realize why this was the only hotel with rooms.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street and away from Housekeeping
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank HeatherB1111
Dear HeatherB1111,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am very sorry your stay was so dissappointing - I have sent you a private message via Tripadvisor, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss youre stay in more detail.

I very much look forward to talking with you in person.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The title says most of it. You get, free, 30 minutes of Wi-Fi every 24 hours and the connection is slow. Otherwise they want 5 Euro a day.

I left a pair of jeans at the desk one night for cleaning and they had not even been sent out 24 hours later when i went to pick them up. This is not good customer service.

Most of the front desk people do not acknowledge your existence. The early morning people are the most helpful.

Room Tip: In the back. The street is really noisy when the pubs close.
Dear NellieBelle2013,

I am delighted you were able to take the time from your busy day to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are dissappointed that you had difficulty accessing our internet service - we have increased our complimentary access to 60 minutes.

All bookings that are made directly through our website receive complimentary access to our internal wifi.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here for one night in mid-September. The location is very convenient, but would likely look for a different place to stay on my next trip to Dublin. Upon arrival, there was an overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby (thankfully, the smell dissipated after we left for sightseeing and returned later in the afternoon), and the carpeting and furniture in the common areas (lobby and breakfast room) could have used a thorough cleaning, as there were tons of visible dirt and spots on carpets and furniture. The room (my mom and I were in a twin/2 beds standard room) was adequate and appeared clean; beds were comfortable, shower and bathroom were very spacious. We opted to take advantage of the breakfast with room special, but were quite disappointed in the both the selection, and quality, of the food . While Dublin accommodations are not inexpensive, I do not believe O'Callaghan's is worth the price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear susievu01,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am dissappointed about your comments regarding our breakfast - we have recently add an a'la carte option to help improve our products.

I am hopeful this will offer our guest a wider variety of choice and improve the standard of our breakfast.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The O'Callaghan at Stephen's Green is at a great location - across from the Green, adjacent to the main tram stop, and just blocks from loads of good restaurants. The rooms are find and there was a pleasant breakfast in the lovely dining area with large windows overlooking the street.
We were very unhappy with the front desk which seemed disorganized and lost messages. None of the front desk staff are local and they were unable to recommend or discuss restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear RJBKY,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor - we were please you enjoyed your stay.

I appreciate your comments in relation to the team at the front desk - we clearly need to work harder in this area.

I will share your comments with the team in order to help us improve.

Wyoming
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was a very nice hotel and was definitely above average but was overpriced. I would have rated it a 4/5 if the price had been more appropriate. It was very quiet and we didn't hear any other guests around us. The beds did not have fitted sheets and the comforter was tucked in tightly so it was hard to pul down the comforter without untucking the bottom sheet. That was the beginning of an all night battle. The pillows were flat. I could have asked for something else but I guess I figured at that price you shouldn't have to ask for better quality. The car park was a good block away...probably not surprising for the center of an old city but thought I'd mention it so others know. The grout and caulk was mildew stained in the shower and that didn't really bother me except I expected better in a hotel of this rating.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear LilRedNP,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay.

I would like to apologise for the sheets on the bed – clearly we placed the wrong sheets on your bed.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

wexford
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed here last night. Checked in late after going to a work meeting, so was upgraded to executive room, which was great. It looked like a 4 star room, great bed and very spacious. As for the rest of the hotel...very poor. Bar was bland and canteen like, no warmth or nice areas to sit! The first lift I had to go in was like something you'd see in a car park! The second lift was a much better standard. Breakfast room was of a very cheap standard too, I had to find a waitress to order tea, when it came, no teacup was provided! Had to rob one off another table as no staff around! Overall, very disappointing for a 4 star hotel, not sure how they keep this rating!! Poor quality in all public areas. They totally rely on their location!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank WexfordBlondie
Dear WexfordBlondie,

Thank your for posting your review on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.

I would like to apologise for the poor experience around breakfast.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter with your further.