Being frequent visitors to Dublin my girlfriend and I took a gamble and booked O'Callaghan's on the Green without knowing anything about the hotel. By the end of our stay we were quite satisfied, although the hotel is certainly not without some glaring flaws.
The hotel is attractive from the outside and is in a fantastic location, just on the outskirts of the Green, a three minute walk from Grafton Street and right in the heart of Dublin's city centre. The staff were friendly, helpful and polite. There was a new girl training on the front desk and despite being quite unsure of herself she seemed competent and professional. This friendliness continued throughout our stay as staff were ever eager to answer our questions and accomodate us. We were provided with a late check-out and our luggage was leftover for upwards of ten hours as we attended a concert.
The rooms were lovely, very clean and presented. A slight flaw was that our double bed was actually two single beds pushed together...a minor gripe but it was still contrary to what we ordered. We had also requested a room with a view, I understand that this can sometimes not be provided but our e-mail request for this (which was made months ago) was not even replied to. Quite disappointing.
Sadly, that disappointment continued during the stay, hence the title of my review. Firstly, the mere notion of a "4 star" hotel in Dublin City centre not having free WiFi for its guests is almost borderling infringement on one's human rights. We live in an age where you can access free WiFi in cafes, fast-food diners and buses, yet in a hotel that boasts four stars you have to actually pay for pitiful WiFi? Similar to this is the TV in the rooms, providing 18 channels and only roughly 9 of these work. Not great when all you want to do is take a couple of hours to relax before bed or going out.
Lastly, the bath and shower in the room could certainly do with an upgarde. While the sink etc were lovely the bath took a lot of the shine from the room. Sealant that had dried up and was past its designed use.
O'Callaghans is a nice hotel. It's fine. It isn't outstanding and it isn't the worst place I've ever stayed. However, would I stay here again when there are hotels like the Fitzwilliam just down the street? I really don't think so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel comprises of two magnificently restored Georgian buildings, with a heritage of great historical and cultural importance to Ireland. One was home to the great Irish playwright, George Fitzmaurice, while 4 Harcourt Street was the birthplace of Lord Edward Carson, one of the founders of Northern Ireland and a central figure in Ireland’s Unionism movement. Entering through the tasteful reception area, guests will be struck by the stunning glass atrium, filling the lobby with natural light and overlooking the idyllic Stephen’s Green park. The stylish interior design throughout the hotel, with wood panelling and soft leather furnishings sitting alongside Georgian stucco ceilings and elegant fireplaces, beautifully showcases the fusion of old and new. George Fitzmaurice is honoured in the hotel through our bar and restaurant, which are named after two of his plays. The ‘Magic Glasses’ Bar is an opulent, comfortable bar where local businesspeople and visitors alike regularly meet over a coffee or drink, while the ‘Pie Dish’ Bistro, set in the bright atrium and the inner rooms of the Georgian houses, serves the finest in contemporary Irish and international cuisine. Located on the first floor, the Georgian library has a charming old-world feel, where you can sit in 19th century surrounds, featuring open fireplaces and chandeliers – an ideal way to unwind over a pre-dinner drink. A gymnasium is available for the exclusive use of residents, while the business centre is open 24 hours, with a secretarial service available for the business guest. Flexibility and choice is a core value of O’Callaghan Hotels. Guests can use the facilities and services of any Dublin O’Callaghan Hotel and have the account conveniently billed back to your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel
- o Callaghan Stephens Green Dublin
- St Stephens Green Hotel
- Stephens Green Hotel Dublin