O'Callaghan's Stephens Green Hotel
We've been fortunate to visit Dublin more than once. We've stayed here before.
We've stayed at Jury's Christ Church on occasion.
While each has its features, O'Callaghan's Stephens Green Hotel has a few more pluses.
Located on the southwest corner of St. Stephen's Green, the hotel is 15 minute walk to St. Patrick's Church and Marsh's Library (you really have to visit this place!), a 5 minute walk to Grafton Street, and the start of the southern line of the Luas light rail system. The hotel sports it's own pub and a delightful dining room for breakfast and other meals. The rooms are functional and clean. We stayed in a twin room on the the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel on Cuffe Street. Traffic noise was inescapable despite heavy drapes. The building's electrical system seems stretched by the needs of current travelers. We tripped a breaker by having an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch charging and attempting to rest the thermostat while watching TV. I know. First world problems.
Breakfast is a treat and a nightcap in-house is as good a way to end the day as any other.
The staff is friendly and efficient and exceedingly accommodating to special requests.
The price was right, the locations swell. In fact, the only complaint is that they just can NOT get the whole wake-up-call thing right. On one try, we got transferred to the front desk of another O'Callaghan's hotel! Either there is no one to answer at the front desk to take the request, or they get the time wrong, or they get the room wrong or they call the wrong room in the morning. This happened twice during our stay, including on our last morning in Dublin. It had taken forever for someone to answer at the desk to take the request the night before. Instead of calling our room in the morning, the desk called another room and but for our waking up on our own, we would have missed our flight home.
There is a 5 to be had. But more care must be taken regarding the essentials. And so, only a 3.5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel comprises of two magnificently restored Georgian buildings, with a heritage of great historical and cultural importance to Ireland. One was home to the great Irish playwright, George Fitzmaurice, while 4 Harcourt Street was the birthplace of Lord Edward Carson, one of the founders of Northern Ireland and a central figure in Ireland’s Unionism movement. Entering through the tasteful reception area, guests will be struck by the stunning glass atrium, filling the lobby with natural light and overlooking the idyllic Stephen’s Green park. The stylish interior design throughout the hotel, with wood panelling and soft leather furnishings sitting alongside Georgian stucco ceilings and elegant fireplaces, beautifully showcases the fusion of old and new. George Fitzmaurice is honoured in the hotel through our bar and restaurant, which are named after two of his plays. The ‘Magic Glasses’ Bar is an opulent, comfortable bar where local businesspeople and visitors alike regularly meet over a coffee or drink, while the ‘Pie Dish’ Bistro, set in the bright atrium and the inner rooms of the Georgian houses, serves the finest in contemporary Irish and international cuisine. Located on the first floor, the Georgian library has a charming old-world feel, where you can sit in 19th century surrounds, featuring open fireplaces and chandeliers – an ideal way to unwind over a pre-dinner drink. A gymnasium is available for the exclusive use of residents, while the business centre is open 24 hours, with a secretarial service available for the business guest. Flexibility and choice is a core value of O’Callaghan Hotels. Guests can use the facilities and services of any Dublin O’Callaghan Hotel and have the account conveniently billed back to your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel
- o Callaghan Stephens Green Dublin
- St Stephens Green Hotel
- Stephens Green Hotel Dublin