“Everything Perfect”

Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Everything Perfect”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in Dublin and this was my first stay at O'Callaghan's on St. Stephen's Green. I can't understand why this establishment is at number 76 on the tripadvisor listing when it far exceeds the majority of the hotels listed before it. I find it extremely hard to comprehend any of the negative ratings it has been given. I presume it is often simply a case of attitude. I found the staff extremely courteous, friendly, efficient, professional, obliging and just generally nice people that evidently enjoy their jobs and are very good at them. The hotel couldn't be in a better position, on the Green, bar the Shelbourne and the Fitzwilliam it is the most favourably located. Top marks.

1 Thank Babeling
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Babeling,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review of your recent stay with us.
I am so pleased that you felt you were well taken care of throughout your time with us. Please be assured that I will be sharing your words of appreciation with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.

Best Regards,
Elena Talpalaru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here for a romantic/shopping weekend. Really good location but quiet also considering its location. I expected more from the executive room but at the same time there was nothing wrong with it. Staff were helpful but highlight of stay was the particularly impressive breakfast buffet.

1 Thank drdryan
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear drdryan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted you had a nice trip to Dublin. I am hopeful we will get the pleasure of your company in the coming months.

Best Regards,
Boston, MA
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel in August 2013. We had a "junior suite" which was a terrific room and really a surprising amount of space for a European hotel. The hotel breakfast is only fair, the real advantage to this hotel is the location. It's close to Grafton Street and a manageable walk to Temple Bar but it is located on a quiet corner of St. Stephen's Green which is more relaxing. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear gf2020 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you felt you were well taken care of throughout your time with us Please be assured that I will be sharing your words of appreciation with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.

Chicago, Il
Reviewed 18 December 2013

O'Callaghan's Stephens Green Hotel

We've been fortunate to visit Dublin more than once. We've stayed here before.
We've stayed at Jury's Christ Church on occasion.
While each has its features, O'Callaghan's Stephens Green Hotel has a few more pluses.

Located on the southwest corner of St. Stephen's Green, the hotel is 15 minute walk to St. Patrick's Church and Marsh's Library (you really have to visit this place!), a 5 minute walk to Grafton Street, and the start of the southern line of the Luas light rail system. The hotel sports it's own pub and a delightful dining room for breakfast and other meals. The rooms are functional and clean. We stayed in a twin room on the the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel on Cuffe Street. Traffic noise was inescapable despite heavy drapes. The building's electrical system seems stretched by the needs of current travelers. We tripped a breaker by having an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch charging and attempting to rest the thermostat while watching TV. I know. First world problems.

Breakfast is a treat and a nightcap in-house is as good a way to end the day as any other.

The staff is friendly and efficient and exceedingly accommodating to special requests.

The price was right, the locations swell. In fact, the only complaint is that they just can NOT get the whole wake-up-call thing right. On one try, we got transferred to the front desk of another O'Callaghan's hotel! Either there is no one to answer at the front desk to take the request, or they get the time wrong, or they get the room wrong or they call the wrong room in the morning. This happened twice during our stay, including on our last morning in Dublin. It had taken forever for someone to answer at the desk to take the request the night before. Instead of calling our room in the morning, the desk called another room and but for our waking up on our own, we would have missed our flight home.

There is a 5 to be had. But more care must be taken regarding the essentials. And so, only a 3.5.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tripcon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stephens Green Hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was my second visit to Stephens Green Hotel and this time I was on business and not on holiday as I was last summer. The room I was allocated was fabulous with a lovely view over the Green. I had room service for my dinner and breakfast and the attention given to this was outstanding. I received a call mid way through my dinner to ensure everything was ok, I have never in all my travels had this service and I was so impressed . For breakfast I think it may have been the Manager of the Restaurant or Reception who brought it up and again outstanding customer care. With the hotel being right in the centre of Dublin beside all the shops and tourist attractions I would highly recommend this hotel and this is from either a Leisure or Business point of view. 5 stars for service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Marian40,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.

Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

lovely hotel, well located, room was clean and tidy.disappointed that free internet not available.
no cream Friday night so Irish coffee not quite what it should have been
staff pleasant and helpful, Christmas lights on Grafton street were beautiful.

Room Tip: room overlooking the front quieter
Dear Heather C.,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

Your constructive feedback allows us the opportunity to review and improve upon the hotels facilities and services and I have shared your comments to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans see you return to Dublin.

Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 7 December 2013

First visit to o'callaghan at stephens green, hotel in perfect location just on stephens green at the top of grafton street, very good location for tourist attractions near the green .Check in was very quick and pleasant, room was superb thought I just booked a standard room but I got an executive. Very clean and everything you could possibly need, the only gripe I would have was that for a four start hotel there was no mini bar, like to have a drink whilst getting ready to go out. Bed was very comfortable and room was very quite, lovely nights sleep.
Would recommend this hotel,Yes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear laurainne,

Thank you for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor.
I have shared your comments with the team in the hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your trip to Dublin, hopefully we will get the pleasure of your company in the not to distant future.