“Very pleasant”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #56 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Great location, very confortable and clean.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
StephensGreenHotel, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2008

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your kind reviews, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin and to the Stephen's Green Hotel.

There are newer reviews for O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2008

We stayed at the O'Callaghan for a long weekend August 08. I was not sure what to expect since Dublin is renowned for a great nightlife and we wanted a good night's sleep! But we were not disappointed. Although the hotel is on the road, it was very quiet. Compared to the hotels in England (I am a regular user all over the country) I was very impressed with the level of customer service. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was very clean and well appointed (except for the hairdryer! Take your own!). Breakfast wasn't included in our deal, but we ate a light breakfast in the bar as an alternative to the rather pricey resturant breakfast. The location of this hotel is great - away from the busy bars, but right at the end of Graffton Street for shopping and 2 mins from the Gaity Theatre. This area is beautiful and full of atmosphere. We got a bus from the airport (7 Euros each) which dropped us off at Trinity College - a 10 min walk from the hotel. We ate out most nights but had one meal in the resturant which was very good. And the staff were extremely patient with 4 English guests who were enjoying the wine and Guinness rather too much. All in all a very enjoyable stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends

Dear Guest.

Delighted to hear that you had a pleasant weekend in Dublin and also in our Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a good nights sleep and also that you enjoyed the social scene in Dublin.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin and to the O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2008

Our first arrival in Ireland, and relied on trip advisor !
The area really was convenient, assuming you are able to do a good bit of walking (which is what you DO in Dublin!).
This is within a few blocks of where you can catch a "hop on, hop off double decker tour bus" to really hit all the main points of interest easily. Very good restaurants and pubs close by. The St. Stephen's Green park across the street is a nice walk as well.
If weather is decent, walking all around City Centre, Temple Bar is very doable.
Service at hotel was good. Room was a tad tired, but well equipped- no complaint for the price and location!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
StephensGreenHotel, MANAGER at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2008

Dear Guest.

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and in our hotel, and you certainly did hit the hot spots in the city.

In response to your comment on the bedrooms, we are undergoing a soft refurb on the bedrooms which shall be completed in June 2009.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel.

Reviewed 24 July 2008

I stayed here for three nights in early July while on a business trip. I have to agree with the majority of the reviews here - the location is excellent (edge of Grafton St, great for exploring Dublin) but I don’t understand how the hotel itself has a four star rating. It was recommended to me by a couple of friends who had stayed here two years ago and said how nice it was. Upon arrival I could only think I’d either upset them in some way (they assure me I haven’t!) or that it’s declined severely over the last few years. I’m afraid everything about this place screams average - I was greeted with dark corridors/rooms with little natural light with scuffs on both the walls and carpets.

I’m really pleased to read that a refurbishment is planned soon and I’d suggest they start with the bedding. The white cotton bed sheets were clean but shabby and were topped by a scratchy wool blanket and a depressing Polyester bedspread which had also seen better days.

I stayed on the fifth floor and in fairness I have no complaints about the size of the room or the cleanliness. My bathroom was large with a great shower and all staff I encountered (including housekeeping and reception) were both friendly and helpful.

However, it was a hot few days and the air conditioning system in my room was feeble to say the least. I was left with the choice of keeping the small window open and having lots of traffic noise or just coping with the stifling humidity – not pleasant.

I wouldn’t stay here again and for c £125 per night I expected better quality. I wish them well with the refurb as at the moment everything just seems a bit too scruffy and dilapidated.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank OxfordLottie
StephensGreenHotel, Mager. at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2008

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review, and yes i am delighted to confirm that the bedrooms shall be undergoing a complete refurbishment, and we look forward to welcoming you back once the refurbishment is complete.

Reviewed 23 July 2008

The hotel location is fantastic for a Downtown Dublin trip. Easy to get to via the buses and the price is hard to beat for location. The rooms were nice and upscale and would definately satisfy an American's taste. Had to get used to how they do electricity in Ireland though and the figuring out of the baths were a 'tad' interesting. Overall, nice hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest.

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and in the O'Callaghan Stephens green.

Reviewed 22 July 2008

I spent last weekend in Dublin for my Aunt's 90th birthday and had quite a wonderful experience. I had booked this hotel through a travel website at a very competitive rate, but I was a little apprehensive at some of the mixed reviews in TripAdvisor. However, my entire experience of this hotel (and that of my 2 companions) was entirely positive: the location is superb, the rooms/bathrooms are decorated to a high standard, the beds very comfortable and the young pan-european staff were universally courteous, friendly and efficient (and very good looking!). Room Service was prompt and any requests (such as hiring a taxi to a Seaside Resort) were dealt with efficiently and without fuss. Yes, Dublin is an expensive city, but the price of everything is clearly advertised, and the full Irish Breakfast sets you up for the day. On the last day, we decided to eat in the Hotel Restaurant with some additional family members, and we had probably the best meal of the entire weekend. My sisters wished they had booked into this hotel. Don't pay too much attention to moaning nit-pickers, this is a terrific hotel, and contributed in no small part to falling in love with Dublin once again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank KalamataOliver
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your review, we are currently reviewing some of our older reviews to ensure O'Callaghan Stephen's Green continues to offer distinguished service and excellent accommodation. I wish to acknowledge receipt of your review as feedback both positive and constructive allows for enhanced improvements at the hotel.

Kind regards,
Paul Clifford

Reviewed 7 July 2008

I have just got back from Dublin after staying at o'callaghan hotel stephens green and must say the staff were really nice and helpful nothing was too much trouble for them especially the manager Dara . A lovley person Who even brought the luggage to our room because the porter was busy. We had a really nice meal in the pie bistro and once again couldnt fault the meal or the service. I will definitely go back again when I visit Dublin

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple