“Good hotel but not if you have a car!”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Canberra, Australia
“Good hotel but not if you have a car!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at the hotel over Easter weekend. The hotel was clean and in a good location, easy walking distance to many areas in central Dublin. We upgraded to the Executive Suite but the room was only the same size as a normal hotel room. No fridge in the room. Staff very helpful and friendly. We did leave our room though for about 5 hrs from 10 - 3 but they didn't manage to service it in that time. Subsidised parking is available in St Stephen Green car park, but this can be quite a walk and can be difficult to access if the shopping centre which houses it is shut... So bring the trundle suitcase

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Elena_Talpalaru, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear cake_walk_10,

Thank you most kindly for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your previous stay.

Your constructive feedback allows us the opportunity to review and improve upon the hotels facilities and services and I have shared your comments to our team.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly on elena.talpalaru@ocallaghanhotels.com

Elena Talpalaru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Not sure who gave this place 4 stars but they obviously did it with their eyes closed. The staff are fantastic but everything else is well below expectations. Rooms are dated and suffer a lot from noise from the corridors. Sound proofing does not seem to be a consideration. Won't be recommending this hotel to anyone in the near future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear RaoulDJ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

Livingston, Montana
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here on our first 2 nights in Ireland. The room had a king size bed which was much welcomed after being crammed on a tiny plane and coach bus for the last 24 hours. The hotel is contemporary, the bathroom is all tile and the whole place was very clean. The bed had all white linens and the main blanket was a non-down comforter inside a duvet cover.

On the second day of my stay I came down with a migraine and had to stay in our room and sleep it off. When I take my migraine medication it makes me a little loopy, so when the housekeeper came in to clean the room I thought she was my mother (who was on the trip with me). After about 20 seconds I realized that she was not my mom, and she was hotel staff. She quickly realized I was out of it and sick. She kind of did a sweep of the room to see what we needed, very quickly so as not to bother me, and she saw that we needed towels. I told her I was sick because I was a little embarrassed being so loopy! She restocked the towels and then came over to me and asked if she could get me medicine, water, ice or tea. She was so incredibly warm and kind, even in my woozy state of mind I could appreciate the genuine care she had for me, a guest at the hotel. I didn't take her up on her offer but I know she would've gotten any one or all of those things for me had I asked for it. I believe her name was Maria, and she deserves accolades for such great service!!

Once I was better, I did sit in the bar and have a Guinness, it was a comfortable spot with some great street watching views. And the location of the hotel is right down town, within a block of Grafton St, maybe a 2 minute walk.

One recommendation (and this one is for every hotel I've stayed at, in Ireland) fluffy pillows, I have found the pillows in this country to be hard and not very comfortable.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the street, it was a bit noisy, my parents had a room that wasn't on t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lauren S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you felt you were well taken care of throughout your time with us.

Please be assured that I will be sharing your words of appreciation with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Driving in from Wicklow on a Friday evening at rush hour was a huge challenge. Streets in Dublin are difficult to navigate with a combination of one-way streets, hard to read street signs, changing street names, etc. When we finally made it to the front door- everything changed. The tension from the traffic experience was shed with a most polite greeting and the friendly face of Juan at the desk. He directed me to the car park and explained the route clearly. Juan was warm and welcoming. We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and he showed genuine interest in our comfort and enjoyment. We were offered an upgrade to a large room in the executive wing at no extra charge and found a bottle of Proseco on ice waiting for us! King bed, nice TV, large shower, hot water, great towels and plenty of room to move about- the room was tops. The location is central to the city but not on a noisy road. It's a short walk to Grafton Street which leads to most sites in town. The breakfast buffet was good but not spectacular- nothing missing, just nothing to rave about at 13.50 euro. We found a small restaurant a few blocks away that we liked better. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others and commend Juan on his positive attitude and helpful demeanor.

Room Tip: Higher floors insure a quiet stay. We visited in March so traffic was not as busy as summer.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SteveS19046,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and for your kind words about Juan and staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon .

Kind Regards,
cork
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Good food in the bar even if menu is a little small. Friendly staff and clean quite room. Slept really well. Upgraded by hotel for free to executive room as it was my first stay. Highly recommend for business stay. Did not stay for breakfast so cannot comment.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear CorkTraveller27,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback relating to your recent stay with us.
We are really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and found all staff helpful and friendly.

We look forward to accommodating you in the upcoming future!

Kindest Regards,
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Perfect location for catching a show in the Unitarian Church across the road. Right beside Stephen's Green, Iveagh Gardens, the Luas... You have everything you need. The hotel was clean, staff friendly and helpful. Couldn't fault any of it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Tadhg C,

We are delighted that all was to your satisfaction and we certainly look forward to accommodating you in the near future.

Best Regards,
Bray, Ireland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

A beautiful hotel at a great location. Very easy to find & Right at the door step of Grafton street. The room was lovely, very big & bright. The bed was huge. The room had all the requirements in what you needed. Loved it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sabrina F,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback relating to your recent stay with us, as always, we very much appreciate that you took time to do so.
We are really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay .

We look forward to accommodating you in the upcoming future.

Best Regards,