“My first hotel in Ireland”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #52 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
El Paso, Texas
“My first hotel in Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

On June 20, 2014 we arrived in Ireland, were met by our Guide, given a bus tour of Dublin and about 3:00 pm were taken to our Hotel for a bit of relaxation prior to our welcoming dinner. My wife and I went out for a walk to get our bearings and get familiar with the area. our first encounter was with Stephen Green Park in its original Victorian layout. It is right across from the Hotel and what a marvel it is, we spent the next two hours just getting to know the Park. It was time for a shower and Dinner. The one great thing about this hotel was its location, close to all Dublin main attractions and a good public transit system just outside the door. The welcoming dinner was great and the bread was excellent. I had a good night sleep afterwards,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ernesto241
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review Ernesto241. I am delighted to hear you had a good night sleep at the hotel and you enjoyed dinner and our head chef's own recipe Guinness Bread. We hope you enjoy the rest of your tour whilst in Ireland and do not hesitate to contact us if you are back in Dublin soon.

Kind regards, Paul C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
north west
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

A really good location for seeing Dublin on foot, right on the Green and walking distance to Temple Bar but away from the madness. The tram going south runs right outside but doesn't go towards thr city centre yet. The rooms are big for a city centre hotel, the bed was huge and comfy but the skinny pillows were miserable. The shower was decent but I was disappointed in the products, no body lotion or conditioner. We didn't eat there but had a few drinks in the bar which is lovely and all the bar staff were great, in particular Darragh who went out of his way to learn how to make a margarita even though it wasn't on the menu. There are some great restaurants just around the corner, particularly Il Primo onMontague Street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review NorthWestLulu. I am delighted to hear you had a lovely stay with us and found the bedrooms spacious and comfortable. I am sorry to hear the pillows were not to your liking, I will certainly look into this for you. I will be sharing your kind words regarding service with the team and in particular with Darragh. We hope to see you back in Dublin in the near future.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent a very enjoyable weekend in Dublin while visiting relatives. On arrival at the hotel we were warmly greeted by the reception staff who looked after our bags as the room wasn't ready - we were early! The room on the 6th floor was excellent - it was well equipped and was bright and spacious. There is one niggle however and that is the breakfast. I travel a lot and am well used to buffet breakfasts and think I understand why hotels use this system. However the hot breakfast was lukewarm. Surely better serving equipment exists to keep the food warmer? However this would not prevent me from returning as the hotel is in a superb location. Serve a hotter breakfast and get another start from me next time!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Stephens Green.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diarmaid H
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review Diarmaid H. I am delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay at the hotel. I am sorry to hear you had issues with breakfast, needless to say our hot buffet items should not be served lukewarm and I am confident this can be easily remedied on your return visit so we look forward to receiving the additional star. Please do not hesitate to contact me ahead of your next stay and I will gladly make the necessary arrangements.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Couldn't fault this hotel. From the moment we arrived, Victoria on reception made us feel very special - and directed us to a most wonderful restaurant nearby - think it was called the Green Man. The staff really know the area and are happy to share their knowledge. Its a 4 star hotel but with 5-star service and staff - I can't speak too highly of them. Rooms were roomy and even though the windows were glazed (not really needed because the noise is not invasive) they could be opened to let in the fresh air (hate air-conditioning). Hotel is in an excellent location on a corner of Stephen's Green and within easy walking distance of Grafton Street, Trinity College and the centre of the city. Rooms (we had two) were always spotlessly clean thanks to the fantastic housekeepers. We will always stay here when we return to Dublin - don't pay 5-star prices - stay here. You will LOVE it.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms overlook the oak trees and the street but are not in the least noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review holysleep. I am delighted you had such a wonderful stay at the hotel. I will of course be passing your kind comments onto both Victoria and out housekeeping team. Whilst we are 4 Star in grading we are committed to providing exceptional service in all areas of our business and I am glad this translated during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Stephen's Green Hotel on your next trip back to Dublin.

Ennis, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was a third stay in this hotel and I refuse to stay anywhere else in Dublin. The service is impeccable, the people are beyond friendly and helpful and hotel is simply the best value for money. The rooms are comfortable and large, you don't have to jostle around a bed to get to your suitcase or desk. The restaurant has great food, always fresh and local. As others have said- you aren't surrounded by loud, shrill tourists- it is a place of retreat and relaxation. For business or pleasure, have been there for both, you do not want to book anywhere else. It is so handy for friends coming into the city for their first stay- all the sightseeing buses are just steps away at the green. It is within walking distance of restaurants and shopping- the location can't be beat.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fabulous. Suite 1600 is a corner rooftop overlooking the green. Massive room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mindlessmom
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review Mindlessmom. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel on a number of occasions. I will of course pass on your kind comments to the team. Stephen's Green Hotel is committed to providing distinctive service both for our leisure and business travellers and again I am pleased to see that we met your requirements on both types of stay. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed on business. A comfortable and handy hotel opposite St Stephen's Green. Big room with all the facilities you need and internet available. Breakfast was good and could be eaten in several different rooms so didn't have to sit with hoards of loud and shrill tourists whilst contemplating the day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Godfrog
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review Godfrog. I am delighted to hear you found the hotel comfortable and convenient just off Stephen's Green. Again I am glad you found our breakfast set up appealing. We feel it only right that guests' breakfast experience encompass the history and culture of the two restored Georgian Houses offering a relaxed breakfast dining experience. Once again thank you for leaving feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin soon.

Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Came to Dublin after 10 days of traveling, the last week of which in London. I was very happy to find O'Callaghan on St Steven's Green. It was easy to get to from the airport and a very nice room in the new building was ready for me at check-in. Victoria was very helpful getting me settled in, getting my WiFi connected and with city directions. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of all the places I was interested in (I am an avid walker, Hueston train station was a 30 minute walk, Temple Bar about 10-12 minutes). The room was large the shower and bath supplies plentiful. Air temperature was easy to control. The restaurant was convenient, but the menu limited (I had to go out for fish and chips, but Victoria pointed me to a perfect spot that she frequented). The staff were friendly and helpful. All in all, it was exactly what I needed.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to an executive room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for leaving a review Cornuman. I am delighted to hear Stephen's Green Hotel served a little oasis following your lengthy travels in London. I will pass your kind comments onto Victoria and the team as a whole. We acknowledge Fish & Chips not being on the menu is unacceptable so we will be bringing this back very soon. Nonetheless I am glad Victoria was able to point you in the right direction. We hope to see you back in Dublin soon and once again thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.