“Great location but will bring a torch on my return trip :)”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
IRL
“Great location but will bring a torch on my return trip :)”
Reviewed 14 November 2009

really wonderful location right beside St Stephen's Green and close to the heart of everything good about Dublin.. will definitely return. We didn't eat on the hotel but the staff on reception were helpful and polite, A bulb was blown in our room, we infoormed them before we left for the evening and it was fixed on return but even still, the lighting is poor in the rooms...really dim and a bit of a strain!also, a little cold in rooms.. but that could just be personal as I m a heat maniac :) overall pleasant and will return.,

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review, we are currently reviewing some of our older reviews to ensure O'Callaghan Stephen's Green continues to offer distinguished service and excellent accommodation. I wish to acknowledge receipt of your review as feedback both positive and constructive allows for enhanced improvements at the hotel.

Kind regards,
Paul Clifford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
California
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Loved O'Callaghan's! The hotel is right across the street from Stephen's Green, and right up the street from trinity College! My favorite morning was waking up and strolling through Stephen's green with my boyfriend! Loved the location, just out of the hustle and bustle of the loud bars, but literally only several blocks from bars, restaurants and shopping on Grafton Street! Very close to the Molly Malone statue and only a short walk to the Guinness Storehouse or Temple Bar. LOTS of shopping right down the street.

My Boyfriend and I stayed here on a 4 day weekend, we had been studying in Cambridge England on a travel study program. I have to say, after spending 5 weeks in dorms and using a shared shower with 9 other girls, I LOVED THIS HOTEL!!! the standard double room we had was spacious, clean and amazing! the bed was huge and so comfortable!! The shower was amazing, and everything was kept clean!

I absolutely loved staying here and would recommend it to anybody. If anyone says they have had a bad stay here, they must've hit them at a bad time. The staff was very helpful in showing us locations or providing maps, giving directions, or holding our luggage. I emailed them once before arriving and they promptly answered all of my questions.

The only thing I would suggest is making sure you have an address of the hotel or street names to give taxi drivers, because there aparently is more than one O'Callaghan's hotel near stephen's green. So, make sure you tell them the right street!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
StephensGreenGM, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review.
I am delighted to hear that both yourself and your partner had a most enjoyable trip to Dublin and to our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel

dublin
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and the location is fantastic.
On check in we where informed that our bill had already been charged to our card and so we where able to relax knowing that we would have no concern of this at check out.
The receptionist was friendly although a little uninformed and we had booked one of the new refurbished king rooms and we where not dissappointed with the room.

Although the room lacked light and was very dark even with every extra light provided on, it's layout was superb and had every basic amenitie except prehaps a fridge.
The shower was fantastic, although as we're both bath people I called reception shortly after check in to see if a room with a bath was available, I was informed that no new room in the hotel had a bath, only the older rooms which was dissappointing. It was also dissappointing when I called to book a table in the restaurant to be told that it had been closed for a couple of months, this was the bank holiday weekend, a saturday night and a four star hotel operating without a restaurant, very let down by that.
Either way we enjoyed our stay and until the point of check out we had both agreed that we would absolutley stay again.

However as I arrived to check out in the morning I observed what appeared to be a senior recptionist or manager of some kind speaking to a member of staff in quite a degrading way, this staff member appeared new and the manager or senior receptionist named Alan did not even look at him as he spoke to him.
At this point we where informed that our bill had not actually been paid yet, when I informed this gentleman Alan of what we had been told at check in, he just ignored me and looked up the site we booked on, on his computer. He was incredibly rude, there was no problem in paying on check out or finalising the bill but this man's lack of customer service ability and general hostility made me feel quite uncomfortable, there was certainly no interest in making sure the guest was happy.

This was very dissappointing considering how happy we had been with our room and our stay, but purely based on how this man speaks to both his staff and guests I would have no interest in returning and add to that I feel quite sorry for those who have to work with him.

Such a pity that they're let down in this way

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
StephensGreenGM, MANAGER at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2009
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and for the constructive feedback.
I am delighed that you liked our new rooms, and we shall take your comments on board in relation to the lighting etc in the new rooms.
We have encorporated the restaurant and bar menu together, and decided to serve this menu in the bar only, as the feedback from the guests was that they preferred the atmosphere in the bar for their dining experience.
Please accept my apologies for the mixup upon checkin in relation to your payment details.
Thank you once again for your feedback on a member of my staff, and i can assure you that this was a totally issolated incident, and this member of staff is a highly professional, customer focused individual,and i have always had great feedback from customers in relation to his professionalism and attention to detail, however i have taken your comments on board and the issues you have highlighted will be addressed, and i can assure you this will never re-occurr.

London
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I picked this hotel because of the favourable reviews on TripAdvisor, and I am pleased to say I wasn't disappointed.

We managed to check in early, the room was well appointed and comfortable.
The hotel was nice, close enough to the shops and bars, and was reasonably priced for Dublin.

My only gripe is that Google Maps sent me the wrong way to the hotel - here's a tip: when you get to the top of Grafton Street, don't turn left! Stay on the right, go past TGI Fridays, past Shanahans restaurant and the hotel is on the next corner. It's all of a 3-4 min walk from Grafton Street.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
StephensGreenGM, manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2009
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and i am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable trip and a pleasant stay with us.
We shall get on to Google and get this issue rectified.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We were originally staying at the Cathedral Court Apartments, run by O'Callaghan hotels but moved here because that accommodation was a disaster. We stayed in a suite and were given complimentary breakfast daily.

Check-in:
The hotel is very under staffed, so check in was slow. We had to go back several times, as our keys did not work.

Room:
Clean and large, with windows that opened. The air conditioning only worked in the bedroom (on arrival). The amenities were very old and while we were staying our hair dryer broke, the ceiling caved in our closet, and the air conditioning in the bedroom broke.

Service:
We had many issues with our room and the service was always friendly and apologetic. The service man took a few days to get there and could not fix the air-conditioning-- so although friendly, the service department was useless.

Room Service:
We ordered room service once and it took over two hours to arrive and was the wrong order.

Breakfast:
Delicious! An assortment of hot and cold items in a comfortable setting.

Location:
Right across from St. Stephen’s Green, close to shopping, theatres, restaurants and many attractions. You cannot get a better location.

There is a business centre but the internet did not work while we were here... which did not surprise us, considering nothing seemed to be working!

Overall:
Since so many things went wrong during our stay and the hotel is obviously under staffed and under skilled, I would not recommend this hotel or stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
StephensGreenGM, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2009
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and we appreciate your feedback.

Firstly, i would like to apologise for having to relocate you from our apartments to the hotel, and we have taken on board all the issues you have highlighted to us, and are addressing them.
I can assure you that this is certainly not standard practise within the hotel, and we are the first to admit to our shortcomings, and we clearly fell short on this occassion.

Please accept my apologies once again, and i do hope you will give us a second chance in the future and prove to you that this was clearly a very issolated incident.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Given the alternatives in this price range, this hotel was a really good option for us! Dublin was so expensive that we were happy we had found a moderate place to stay which was pleasant to come back to each day. We were only in Dublin 2 nights, and it served our purpose, given we had just landed in Ireland and wanted someplace convenient. Being near the park was perfect, and moderated the busy, fast moving feel of the city.

I would definitely go back there -- it is true the lobby is somewhat tired-looking, and it did not occur us to eat dinner there anyway. We had the breakfast buffet the last morning, and for the price, it was very adequate, again compared to the high cost of food in Dublin.

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and i am delighted to hear that you found us price competitive.
In relation to the lobby of the hotel, we are planning a refurbishment in the near future.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Ireland and to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel.

Peasedown St John, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2009

A comfortable bed, pleasant staff and a superb location are not enought to encoutage me to either return or reccommend. The lighting in the bedroom was atrocious - maybe it's not deemed necessary to read if there's a flat screen TV available?! The make-up/shaving mirror in the bathroom was mounted at my waist height (I'm 5'10") and the remains of a sticker obliterated about 2 square inches. The breakfast was the worst hotel breakfast I have ever had - to give the staff their due, there was no hesitation in refunding the cost.

Kind regards,