“Look Somewhere Else”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #56 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Ok, so I won't totally knock this hotel, but grand it ain't. If you're from the US and are familiar with Holiday Inn-type establishments, then you'll know that O'Callghan's is one from the moment that you walk into the lobby. As for the rooms, they are a bit worn out and upon entrance you'll notice the HEAVILY perfumed air and the overall sense of cheapness. Are the rooms clean? Well, yes and no...I believe that the staff tries, but it's hard to clean the mold out of shower tile grout that is probably 10+ years old.

All in, I would suggest that you look somewhere else. Higher class hotels for not much more money certainly exist in Dublin (like Clontarf Castle). The location is great, but I would not stay here again. If Motel 6 in the US suits your fancy, then this is your place.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrisct78
StephensGreenGM, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2010

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. I was most disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however i apprecaite your feedback and we are currently undergoing a refurbishment. We have completed 1 section of the hotel with newly refurbished bedrooms, and hope to complete the remainder of the bedrooms and public areas in 2010.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback, and i hope to welcome you back to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel.

There are newer reviews for O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel

Reviewed 18 December 2009

I was on a bit of a flying visit so didn't see much of the hotel apart from the reception and my room. Having said that the staff on reception were very pleasant and efficient. My room was clean and spacious compared to some hotels at a similar cost. Bed was large and comfortable. There was a background rumble of traffic through the night but that is the price you pay for being in such a convenient location. My only criticisms would be that the bathroom was looking rather tired, not helped by the loo roll holder being broken. Also having to pay for wi-fi is aggravating, it is partly the cost (€3 for 2 hours) and partly the nuisance factor of having to go down to reception to obtain a 25 digit user name and password.

I'll book in here next time I'm over and try to see more of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BSAGoldStar

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, however please accept my apologies for the issues that you incurred in relation to maintenance. We have a very compitant housekeeping manager and we also have our own maintenance team on site, so i dont know how this was overlooked, however please accept my apologies once again.
In relation to the internet, it is chargable in the bedrooms, however there is a business centre in the lobby which is complimentary to all in house guests. It is not necessary to come to reception to retrieve your userame and password, we can do this over the telephone to avoid the inconvenience of coming to the desk.

Once again, thaank you for your feedback, and i look forward to welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel.

Reviewed 15 December 2009

Good location, close to Grafton Street and just off St Stephen's Green. However, no porter to help with luggage on arrival, not enough staff on reception for check-in. Waited for ages to be acknowledged or checked-in. Rooms were fine, but poor lighting, not enough towels and this may only be applicable for women - but the hair dryers are atrocious for a 4 star hotel. Called reception to see if they could provide me with a better one, but they were no help at all. What are people with long hair meant to do? It was unacceptable. I would only recommend this hotel on location, I think it is over priced for the level of service it offers.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your review, we are currently reviewing some of our older reviews to ensure O'Callaghan Stephen's Green continues to offer distinguished service and excellent accommodation. I wish to acknowledge receipt of your review as feedback both positive and constructive allows for enhanced improvements at the hotel.

Reviewed 8 December 2009

A great Hotel well deserving of its 4 stars. Rooms very comfortable and stylish. My room was located at rear of hotel and was very quiet. Hotel has the city centre on its door step.
The drawbacks certainly was the staff. When I arrived the lady at the desk did not greet as you would normally expect..but just muttered ... Name please? Then proceeded to recite a verse which obviously was learned off about check in procedures. The same lady at check out said nothing, not even a good bye. The Staff at the bar were also rude with the exception of one lady who was Spanish ( Maybe Auerilla was her name) Incidently Breakfast finishes at 10am ..this may be a cost saving measure by the hotel?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 December 2009

We chose this hotel for it's location and reasonable price, but ended up being very happy with it overall. While clearly an older hotel, it's very well maintained and still has an air of class and elegance. Our room was small (typical for Europe) but well appointed and quite clean. The staff was polite and helpful.

The location is great, close to bus & train transport, and there always seemed to be at least one taxi waiting out front. It's also within easy walking distance of many Dublin attractions, including Trinity College and Temple Bar.

One minor letdown was the business center...a small room at the end of the hall with a single antiquated computer and printer. We attempted to use the computer to check email, but got all kinds of virus popups and warnings. No way we were trusting our passwords (let alone CC numbers!) to that thing.

We quite enjoyed our stay, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend The O'Callaghan to others.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RevGoodwin

Reviewed 14 November 2009

really wonderful location right beside St Stephen's Green and close to the heart of everything good about Dublin.. will definitely return. We didn't eat on the hotel but the staff on reception were helpful and polite, A bulb was blown in our room, we infoormed them before we left for the evening and it was fixed on return but even still, the lighting is poor in the rooms...really dim and a bit of a strain!also, a little cold in rooms.. but that could just be personal as I m a heat maniac :) overall pleasant and will return.,

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2009

Loved O'Callaghan's! The hotel is right across the street from Stephen's Green, and right up the street from trinity College! My favorite morning was waking up and strolling through Stephen's green with my boyfriend! Loved the location, just out of the hustle and bustle of the loud bars, but literally only several blocks from bars, restaurants and shopping on Grafton Street! Very close to the Molly Malone statue and only a short walk to the Guinness Storehouse or Temple Bar. LOTS of shopping right down the street.

My Boyfriend and I stayed here on a 4 day weekend, we had been studying in Cambridge England on a travel study program. I have to say, after spending 5 weeks in dorms and using a shared shower with 9 other girls, I LOVED THIS HOTEL!!! the standard double room we had was spacious, clean and amazing! the bed was huge and so comfortable!! The shower was amazing, and everything was kept clean!

I absolutely loved staying here and would recommend it to anybody. If anyone says they have had a bad stay here, they must've hit them at a bad time. The staff was very helpful in showing us locations or providing maps, giving directions, or holding our luggage. I emailed them once before arriving and they promptly answered all of my questions.

The only thing I would suggest is making sure you have an address of the hotel or street names to give taxi drivers, because there aparently is more than one O'Callaghan's hotel near stephen's green. So, make sure you tell them the right street!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
StephensGreenGM, Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review.
I am delighted to hear that both yourself and your partner had a most enjoyable trip to Dublin and to our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan Stephens Green Hotel