“Nice but a bit 'fake'”
Review of Dylan Hotel

Dylan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Its a lovely place to stay for a romantic night or weekend. Lovely rooms, nice restaurant. Bad points: after a few moments of us checking into our room, their staff kept knocking on the door offering us water. Whether they genuinly were worried of us being dehydrated (although mini bar does supply you with (gasp) a little quater bottle at 3.50 euro - or simply were trying to sell some more (we were unclear whether this was complementary, so decided not to drink it eventually;-) ) - either way, it was quite annoying. The strawberries in chocolate upon our arrival were not so numerous as one would like them to be and although they have a lot of 'naughty' funny items in the mini fridge (like camasutra kit and fruity condoms, etc) - they clearly didn't think it through til the end, as at the check out they manage to actually ask you whether you've used any of these items and which ones were those. Luckily enough, we didn't - but I just imagined my horror of having to recite used items in numerical order if I did, with people standing (also waiting to check out) behind me!:-)
Overall, its an 'ok' romantiky place to stay - thei bar is a bit 'strange' for want of a better word, slightly smelly and a bit like Lilly Bordello VIP room - but quite nice nevertheless. Breakfast is not included (which is annoying) and makes it quite an expensive stay if you were to order one (around 27 eur for a full irish one). Good point - I really thought it would be an excellent venue for a small wedding or a brilliant place to wow your girlfriend (boyfriend)!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank flyaway78
There are newer reviews for Dylan Hotel

Reviewed 9 September 2011

This is a beautiful hotel with interesting and original décor and top quality rooms. Each room is different. I have stayed here five or six times, had a different room each visit and have always been pleasantly surprised. This time I had room 208 which has a small balcony. The hotel restaurant is excellent and quite reasonable if you have the set dinner menu. The cooked breakfast is exemplary and highly recommended.

The only drawback is, as has been pointed out by other reviewers, the patchy service. When I arrived the person on reception was on the telephone to a potential client. I stood at the desk for a while and was completely ignored. It would be easy to cover the phone and say ‘Please take a seat, I’ll be with you as soon as possible’, but no! The receptionist continued describing the rooms, the various packages available, and studiously avoided looking at me or acknowledging my presence in any way. In the end I gave up and went outside for a cigarette. When I returned she was still on the phone, discussing with the same client the various restaurants in the locality. Finally, fully ten minutes after I arrived a second person turned up and checked me in without a word of apology.

The combination of beautiful hotels and rubbish service is so common these days. What are management and owners thinking? Do they not read the reviews of their own hotels? Hire more Swiss!

I was so annoyed by the experience of the check in that I denied myself the pleasure of eating dinner in the restaurant and went round the corner to the very excellent Langkawi Malaysian restaurant. (46 Upper Baggot Street). This a very good place with top quality real Malaysian cooking.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Walk and walk. so much to see. City hop on hop off bus is wonderful to get locations. Walk tour to Wicklow 1 hr from Dublin so worthwhile

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We absolutely loved the Dylan from the moment we got out of the taxi. Zoltan was there to escort us into the lobby and carry our luggage. We didn't find out till later that he is a partial owner. My fiance and I had spent the previous week in London and were exhausted from all the walking. Not to mention I had proposed the night before arriving in Dublin. The Dylan was like a spa retreat for us. A great place to relax and leisurely see the city in all its glory as well as to fully bask in the fact that we had just taken our relationship to the next level. Whenever we needed something, Zoltan was there. Whether to recommend a restaurant, walking route or bus schedule. I cannot believe the price we were able to get on expedia for what I now consider a luxury boutique hotel. Thanks to everyone at the Dylan for making our trip to Dublin truly memorable.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and come complete with a beautiful view, gorgeous bed, and spa like accommod...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This was a last minute business trip. Hotel is a bit out of town for my liking and the easiest way is to grab a taxi. Check in and Welcome efficient but non descript. You need to pay a deposit of 50euro a night for mini bar etc on arrival. Beware of this if you only have a debit card like me cos it will take the €50 off you.

Room was beautiful and the bed was very comfy. I didn't stay for breakfast but then again the hotel is 2 mins walk from Baggot street where there is loads of cafes AND there is a tiny little cafe accross the street from the hotel which is very nice.
Room came with a safe which was very handy for the ipad etc. Room service was excellent.

Nice little touches include: ipod in the room playing music when you come in, little hand written keycard holders, a nice velvet Z on the door handle for sleep. Basically all you expect with a little extra thrown in.

Room Tip: I'd ask for 2nd floor upwards.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank brian_ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed here on a two night break to Dublin. A chic 5* Boutique hotel, comfortable beds and good toiletries. About a ten minute walk to Dublin city centre.We did not eat here but staff were very helpful recommending good restaurants. Be warned though, Dublin is a very expensive city.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mum0f2
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This is the first time I've ever written a review but I felt compelled to do so after a really, really disappointing experience at The Dylan Hotel in Dublin. It's beautifully done, but the warm Irish welcome that comes naturally in other establishments is non existent in this hotel.

I was expecting better things after speaking to a couple of the (Irish) reservations staff over the phone. They were friendly, helpful and really warm and Barry went out of his way to accomodate us when I needed to change our booking at the last minute.

When we actually arrived to check in - completely different story. The two staff on the front desk were so aloof and unfriendly. After a crazy explaination about needing to take a 50euro deposit due to it being a visa debit card (at 200 euro for the room for 1 night with no breakfast, I'd like to think we'd be good for 50 euro!!) the two staff then completely ignored me for TEN MINUTES whilst my husband was outside trying to scramble change together to put in the parking meter.

Nobody else arrived during this time and they stood robotically behind their screens ignoring me. No offer to take our large bag up to the room, no offer of a coffee or friendly chit chat "had we come far, would i like a look around etc." This place is supposed to be 5 star! If anything, the odd snotty glance to see if I was still clogging up their reception area (and we're quite well heeled not scruff bags in case you were wondering!). When my husband came back in after sorting out the parking meter he was flabbergasted the bag and (me!) were still sitting there.

After settling into our room, we had arranged to meet local friends in the bar. And this time it was the turn of the bar staff to be utterly crap. No pleasant greeting, no offer to help carry the drinks to the outside tables, just attitude, attitude, attitude. The final straw was when I politely asked a passing waiter if he could please call us a taxi as we had a restaurant reservation. He barely glanced in my direction and said "do it at reception."

That was the final straw. My husband flipped out and went to reception and asked to see the manager. The duty manager (who was one of the aforementioned check in staff) was very apologetic and they didn't charge us for the drinks we'd had in the bar and offered us complimentary bkfast the next day. All very kind of him, and we appreciated this. BUT and it's a big but, no amount of free booze or sausages would make us return to this hotel until they sort out the service and attitude of staff which I imagine comes from the top down. The owner and managers could do with a trip to a few local B&B's to see how genuine, warm Irish folk greet their guests and make them feel valued and well looked after. Stunning decor but a bitter disappointment in terms of customer experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple