“Some positives but not an experience to justify the cost”
Review of Dylan Hotel

Dylan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cardiff, Wales
“Some positives but not an experience to justify the cost”
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We went on a mid-week break in December. There were many positives; the food was excellent, the rooms were laid out very well and the staff were largely very helpful and attentive.

However, there were also some negatives; on our first night we set the aircon in our room; it turned out that it was faulty and was heating the room. This only became clear at about 3am when the room reached over 30 degrees, I didn't fancy the upheavel of moving room at that time of night. In the morning we complained and the impression I got from the reaction of the staff was that they knew there was a problem in advance of giving us the room but didn't want to put the room out of order. They moved us into a room where one of the TV's didn't work although this didn't bother us very much. At the end of the stay they tried to charge us the full price for the first night when I complained they took a bottle of wine off the bill which at around 10% of the nightly rate I said that I didn't believe this was adequate but it was the best they could offer.

Not an experience that justifies the price tag!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dylanGM, General Manager at Dylan Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2008
Dear ChrisL.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts following your visit to dylan. I would once again like to apologise to you for the fault in the air conditioning in your room. I can assure you that we were not aware of this until it was brought to our attention. Indeed, the entire air conditioning system at dylan had undergone a regular service just weeks before your stay, and had been given a full "clean bill of health". I hope that the upgrade from the Style room to one of our Experience Suites compensated somewhat for the discomfort you experienced.

Occassionally, a technical fault occurs on hotel televisions - this is very easily rectified as they are all controlled centrally. I am sorry that one of the two in your new room did not work at the time of your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and our bedrooms, and that you found our staff to be both helpful and attentive. We do strive to ensure all of our guests leave with only happy memories and a positive impression of dylan. I am terribly sorry that you experienced these maintenance failures, and do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to dylan very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Our stay in the Dylan Dublin was ok, except for the breakfast that is very poor. There was no bread, cheese, and just some cold cuts on Saturday and nothing except for some smoked salmon on Sunday. Besides that the breakfast room was not clean, as there were huge spider webs in the breakfast room (inside of the window).

Asking the staff for bread, cheese or cold cuts, it was as if the staff did not understand it...The English language skills of the staff during breakfast are very poor.

A complain at the reception upon check out was heard but not even an apology followed. This is not the way it should be handled, especially if you claim to be a 5 star hotel

P.S. don’t bring the CD that is in the room, you’ll be charged for it and the compilation does not run smoothly it has some hick ups…

Staying at a 5 star hotel should be perfect, this was not. We will not stay there again, than we prefer staying in a 5 star hotel that offers 5 star services like the 4 seasons.

• Liked — The bar
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Marvb,

Thank you for your comments. I am terribly sorry that your visit did not meet with your expectations, and that you experienced difficulties at breakfast. We unfortunately were restricted during the time of your stay by a re-call of all pig-meat products in Ireland, which explains the lack of availability of some items. Breads and cheeses are always available on our breakfast buffet table.

I am surprised that you encountered language difficulties at breakfast, as all of our restaurant staff speak English.

Cleanliness at dylan is of paramount importance to us. Indeed, we are regularly inspected by the Irish Accommodation Services Institute, who have awarded us for our standards. There is no excuse for cobwebs in windows, and I can assure you that any that are created during the day are removed within hours.

The dylan CD is indeed a chargeable item, and is listed as such on the mini bar price card in each bedroom.

Marvb, we pride ourselves in the high level of service that we offer at dylan, and I am extremely sorry that we fell down on certain points during your stay. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Wells, England
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I booked this hotel for a two day break for my partner's birthday. The minute I spoke to reception I knew we were in for a treat. The receptionist was professional yet welcoming and friendly. The whole hotel has the "Wow Factor" from the minute you walk through the door, and just oozes luxury. The whole interior design is amazing and it takes a while to take in all the detail. Our room was gorgeous, a tasteful mixture of comtemporary and decadence with a huge bed and seating area with a large flat screened tv mounted on a pole in the center of the room. You could swivel it around to view from the seating area, or from the bed, what an innovative idea! There was an ipod dock, and complimentary music, thick good quality robes, large fluffy towels, and luxury toiletries. The bathroom had a huge walk-in shower with side jets and deluge shower, a very large bath, and tv on the wall. There was a turn-down service whereupon the bed was re-made, towels and toiletries were replaced and chocolates were left on the bed. The bar was a treat, so was the service, the staff and breakfast, which consisted of a buffet of cerials, fresh fruit platter, yogurts, cold meats and smoked salmon, a good choice of juices, and excellent choice of hot dishes. I am well travelled but can say hand on heart this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I can't fault it and can't wait to return. Congratulations to the Dylan and all it's staff - a cut above the rest.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Having to leave
1 Thank Carol5LL
Athens
Reviewed 1 December 2008

I read about the Dylan hotel in the NY Times travel section and when I checked out their website was hooked immediately. The Hotel is in a quiet location, yet fairly close to the city centre, the staff is extremely helpful and pleasant, our room was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. We also enjoyed having drinks at the Hotel bar (they mix some mean martinis!). I certainly wouldn't mind going back in the future. If I absolutely had to find a flaw... maybe the buffet breakfast could use an overhaul.

1 Thank VictoriaAthens
Belfast
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Not usually the adventurous type, this did seem a curiousity hotel from the web and other TRip Advisor reviews, so the one night booking was made with some trepidation..... I need not have worried. Fabulous from the minute we stepped out of the car. A mix of new and old Dublin premises the candelit entrance draws you in straight away. Front desk staff treat you like you're the only valued customer in the world. Escorted to the room and shown all the facilties (including underfloor heating and how to work it!). Superbly presented room, bed was divine, iPod dock, courtesy umbrellas (for the Irish mist), everything to make it personal. Forgetting to pack the toothpaste was remedied by the front desk in minutes.

A few drinks in the friendly but discreet staffed bar, before the front desk staff went out of their way to try and book a treatment therapy for my wife in their sister hotel, Dunboyne Castle, over the course of the following days stay.

After a trip round the sights in Dublin, we returned to the room late on to find the flower petals spread on the bed and beautiful little chocolate owls. After a sound nights sleep breakfast was perfect, booking out faultless, and even allowed us to leave the car in the valet parking all day until we departed late afternoon.

Quite simply the most impressive hotel for detail, care and attention I have ever had the pleasure to stay in....but don't tell anyone as they'll all want to go there.

Now an inhouse pool/gym would have created perfection.....

1 Thank BelfastWeary
armagh northern ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2008

i stayed here for one night and enjoyed this hotel .the staff are excellent and were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.the rooms are large and very comfortable and clean.breakfast was good but not excellent.overall i could not find any faults with the hotel but i dont think i would stay here again as i would still make the raddisson at golden lane my first choice in dublin simply becuase it has a much better location and the breakfast is much better.both hotels are around the same price but getting a taxi in dublin at 2am is impossible !!...........you dont need a taxi when staying at the radisson

• Liked — staff are excellent
  • Disliked — breakfast was just ok
1 Thank armagh222
Marshfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 November 2008

My wife and I visited Ireland for the first time in October 2008. Our first stop was Dublin to run the Dublin Marathon (also our first ever marathon). We chose the Dylan based on the many positive reviews here on TripAdvisor.

Let me just say that this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. We arrived at the hotel at 6am after coming in on a redeye. We had nowhere else to go so we went to the hotel thinking that the best we would be able to do is drop off our luggage and then roam the streets and find somewhere to eat breakfast and crash in the restaurant booth for a little while.

To our surprise, the front desk team located us a room and allowed us to check in AT 6 AM. It was an incredibly generous gesture considering check-in time is 3pm.

Our stay just got better from there. The room was very big (king size bed) and spotless. The bathroom was also very spacious including an oversized shower/tub.

We got room service many times and the food was perfect each time. A special shout-out to Patrick the concierge who helped our friends pick out a great wine/dessert gift that we discovered in our room one afternoon. Our friends said he was incredibly helpful and followed up with them via phone calls and emails until all the arrangements were completed.

The Dylan bar/lounge is also great - open 24 hours to hotel guests. We took advantage of that one fun night :).

The location of the Dylan is great and you are just around the corner from a bunch of pubs, shops, etc. and about a 25 minute walk to the city centre. There's also a great breakfast/coffee/espresso shop across the street.

The Dylan is a bit pricey, but I can honestly say that it was worth every Euro! Since our return, I have recommended the Dylan to all of our friends and recommend it to any of you looking for a great hotel in Dublin.

• Liked — Incredible service from all hotel employees
  • Disliked — Nothing. Not one complaint (seriously)
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple