“Especially if you want to be near the synagogue” 4 of 5 bubbles

Abrae Court Guesthouse
Abrae Court Guesthouse
Ranked #103 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Jerusalem, Israel
“Especially if you want to be near the synagogue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was in Dublin for a course and conference which would keep me through Shabbat, so I decided to take a room for the whole week at Abrae Court Guesthouse. During the week it meant at least a half hour bus ride downtown, and many times another 20 minute walk from Eden Quay to North Wall Quay to the CCD. However, having a real, normal Shabbat with community made up for it.

You can call and book your dates and reserve a mini fridge use for ease of keeping kosher. About a block and a half away is a Quinn Supermarket. Get the kosher list and keep your food expenses to a minimum. I was out most of the day at the Convention Center, so I didn't take advantage of the microwave use they offered me. I also didn't have time in the morning to have breakfast down stairs in the dining room (an additional 6 euro), so I made my coffee in my room (brought a dark roast with me), and had cheese, crackers, fruits and vegetables, my preferred breakfast.

Since I had long days at the conference, I ordered some packed kosher sandwiches from Kosher Ireland. They are very, very expensive, but my per diem was enough to cover it with room for my groceries for evening and morning. On Thursday I walked the 10-15 minute walk to the synagogue to pay my bill for the sandwiches. They really came in handy at the conference and made my life easier.

Nina and Monika were very helpful and welcoming. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. My room had only a shower,no bath tub, but that was fine with me.

A few caveats: Stairs, skeleton keys, no safe in room. There are stairs from the parking area to the front door, and stairs to most of the rooms. I was on the main floor, but there were stairs down and up on that landing alone. Heavy suitcase owners should beware.

The skeleton key for your room feels less secure than a card-lock or door specific key. I suppose it's not really any less secure. There is no ensuite safe. I brought a lock for my netbook and kept valuables with me most of the time.

The guesthouse is not a fancy hotel, but it is a cozy place to stay. I particularly enjoyed the neighborhood. There is plenty of public transport. I even took the 16a Dublin Bus from the airport to the stop right in front of the synagogue. It was a bit further of a walk than I had anticipated from there to the guesthouse with suitcases, though. Better would be to take the AirLink into city center and transfer to the 74a which drops you off about a block from the guesthouse. Even the 14 would drop you close.

There was also free wireless, daily room cleaning, and a coffee corner. I liked it.

The important bit for me was that on Shabbat there were other Shabbat observers, it was a close walk to the synagogue, and all in all pleasant. I will definitely consider returning anytime I am in Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for room on main floor to avoid more stairs.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank travelmarm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

This B & B far surpassed our expectations. The building itself was a beautiful Georgian mansion and the location was perfect - close to the city centre, yet secluded enough that noise was not an issue. Our room was bright and clean and the large bed extremely comfortable, (great to come back to after a long day of sightseeing!) The bathroom was spotless and we were pleasantly surprised to find a full bathtub and not just a shower!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the traditional Irish breakfast was delicious. I would recommend this B & B to anyone planning a trip to Dublin and hope to visit the city again soon.

Stayed in September 2011, from Freiburg, Germany.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carros37
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

I was looking for an extra night accommodation in Dublin. I generally like the friendliness of B&B's and picked the Abrae Court because of its photos and outline. I was very disappointed with what I found. The room was minute and looked nothing like the photo online. The shower was even smaller (and I am a slight person) and the taps at the washbasin were timed to cut out like in a public toilet. Although my room was very clean the common room and stairway looked tired and in need of some attention. The person receiving me told me straight off that it was cash only. She showed me to my room but provided no further information. The room had no phone and to get to reception I had to make an outside call on my mobile phone. For one night ok. Would I go back there - No.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank rosie_orr
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I stayed at this B&B several years ago and it was fine. But it has now has new management and they have upgraded the place considerably. Comfortable rooms, a terrific public sitting room and a lovely dining room all contribute to a great experience. They are also very accommodating if you have dietary requirements. I'd recommend this facility without reservation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NewYorkChu
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I spent a week-end in Dublin with a friend. The B&B is not far from the city center (you'll need to take a bus, many of them drive nearby).
The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was nice and well heated. The guesthouse is quiet.
I forgot a necklace in the room when I left, and the staff sent it by mail to my home address in France, which was a huge relief.
I can only recommend this Guesthouse !

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

When I saw this Guesthouse was being newly renovated I spoke to its new owner about putting up myself and 5 friends for a 3 day visit to Dublin. She was very helpful and having seen the rooms I booked us in. The location in Rathgar is a very upmarket, and near enough to the city centre. The house is a beautiful Victorian 3 story building with additional rooms out the back. The free parking was a bonus. Overall our stay was very good, the breakfast was excellent and the room were warm, quite and comfortable. I would recommend this guesthouse.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Aberdeenshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2007

Booked through GoIreland.com. Found the place to be very grubby, badly stained bed cover, stained carpeting in the bedroom, broken light fitting and extremely uncomfortable sagging bed. The bathroom smelled of bad drains. Breakfast was no better. Sat at a dirty table, wall splashed with food and drink, little choice. Would not reccommend to anyone who wanted somewhere quiet, clean and friendly. Was not cheap either. Look out for the threadbare carpets on the stairs!!

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Dismal atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Broadsea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Uppercross House Hotel
St. Aiden's Guesthouse
#2 of 5 in Rathgar
Zion Hall
#109 of 161 in Dublin

Been to Abrae Court Guesthouse? Share your experiences!