“Helpful staff, great location”

Kingfisher Townhouse
Ranked #69 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Le Roy, Illinois
“Helpful staff, great location”
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

We arrived quite early, nothing was open. Check in was not for another few hours,but staff worked quickly to get us into our room so that we could nap and get over the jet lag.

The cleaning staff was superb, and the bathrooms were updated and immaculate. The rooms were small, but clean and sufficient.

The price was very reasonable and included breakfast at the restaurant next door. Breakfast was good and filling. It included a full Irish breakfast of eggs, black and white pudding, potatoes, mushrooms, and two sausage.

The location is good to the shopping district, and close enough to attractions, but not too close to the hustle and bustle. The area was generally quiet for a city. Most everything was walking distance, and the few things that weren't, we used the hop on hop off bus for. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our recent visit to Dublin. We got a great deal with their "Stay 4 nights for the price of 3" midweek promotion available when booking directly through their website. With breakfast at the adjoining restaurant included, the value was even better. Our room was small but comfortable and the bathroom had been recently remodeled - very nice looking and great water pressure in the shower! The front desk staff were friendly, and the breakfasts were delicious - we were able to pick whatever we wanted from the menu (I recommend the fresh fruit and scones!). The location is good, right near O'Connell Street and within walking distance of nearly everything you'd want to see in Dublin, though some places like St. Patrick's Cathedral and St. Stephen's Green are quite a long walk (20-30 min). A waitress we talked with at a local restaurant had told us that the area of the Kingfisher was "a bit dodgy" at night, but we were never out very late and always felt safe. Overall, a great value and good place to stay in Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street to be sure it's quiet at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ceejay4242
Landstuhl, Germany
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here for Saint Patty's Day. We had 2 rooms; 1 triple and 1 double room. Great to stay for a few days in Dublin. Location was amazing! close to a lot of locations, temple bar, O'Connell street, shopping, etc. Next door is a Tesco, grocery store, and less than a minute walk to the shopping stores and bars, restaurants. I booked this hotel less than 2 months from saint patty's day and it was the best price out there compared to other locations which were extremely expensive!! Very affordable and free breakfast, which was delicious! The staff was very nice. Rooms were clean, beds pretty comfy. However, the showers were extremely cold from 8am-12pm and though the housekeepers changed our towels, cleaned our rooms, they did not empty our overflowing trashcan in the BR. You can also borrow a blowdryer and iron from the front desk and they provide small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotion. I enjoyed my time here and I would recommend this to anyone if they're staying in dublin.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 10 December 2012

As a first-time visitor to Dublin, I thought this was great value for the money. The other reviews pretty well say it all. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the price includes breakfast at the adjoining restaurant. I was traveling with my two children (ages 12 & 15), so had booked a family room (Room #3, with 2 twin beds and 1 double). As with a recent review, my concern was location (to easily see the city) and price (we were on a 3 week tour of the UK and Ireland)...we just needed a place for a comfortable sleep and shower. The Kingfisher met all of our needs. Ireland can be very pricey, but our two night stay cost Cdn $235.00. The front desk and the restaurant staff are friendly and helpful. The location is fabulous. As others have noted, the Kingfisher is located around the corner from O'Connell St. and lots of shopping, and it's just a 20-30 minute walk to the historic Temple Bar area. It is also just around the corner from the Dublin (Green) Bus Tour (hop on, hop off), which was a great way to get a quick glimpse of Dublin in one day. Right next door is a Tesco grocery store, which was convenient for picking up some gluten-free bread. If I get to Dublin again, I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank GG296
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Very enjoyable stay for this first-time traveler to Dublin. I was initially attracted by the location and by the price but have to say that the choice could not have been better. It was an easy trip to nearby O'Connell Street via bus from Dublin Airport and the walk from the stop to the hotel was only three short blocks. The hotel itself is on Parnell in the middle of a business district with anything you might need to buy within a ten minute walk (and often much closer). A Tesco supermarket is a few doors down and a Pharmacy is one block away. Public transportation to other parts of Dublin are all within an easy walk.

The hotel itself is in a very nice old townhouse converted to long stay apartments and hotel rooms. Be warned, though, that there is no elevator. If climbing stairs is an issue for you then perhaps this is not the place for you. The staff throughout our stay were very friendly and very helpful in every possible way. Our room was done up every day quite promptly. The bed was comfortable and there was a sitting area. The bathroom is small but not a hardship. The shower took some getting used to and it wasn't as strong a stream as I like but certainly not a deal breaker.

Our plan included breakfast in the downstairs Kingfisher restaurant (owned by the same people) and gave you the option for a full Irish breakfast with coffee or tea. A very good value. The price I paid for the room (69€/night) was very good. Since I was going to be sightseeing all day, I was more concerned with location and price than any other amenities and it fit my needs quite nicely. WiFi is available in the hotel, the restaurant and the coffee shop next door free of charge (but requires a password that will be provided).

Very happy with my stay in this establishment and would certainly return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back as it's quiet at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RSFinch3
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I don't think I could give it 5 stars as it's not a top class all-amenities place, of course, but I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Dublin. My boyfriend and I got the tip from a friend who had lived in the city and ate breakfast there in the adjoining restaurant. Anyway, we arrived quite early, around 9 am but as it was the offseason our room hadn't been used and was already ready (in fact it was the same room in the main photo here on TA). Great! Our room was fine, no issues. As there wasn't a hairdrier, had to ask the front desk and he gave me one no problem. The people working the turns are the desk were all courteous and the location can't be beat! We never used public transport....it's a nice walk up O'Connell street....it took maybe 10 minutes on foot. Lots of shops along the way, nice area. We had a voucher for breakfast included in our booking and it was amazing. A great start to the day! Either half or full Irish, or cereal, toast, juice, anything really. No problems, convenient location, good prices. If I were to go to Dublin again I'd definitely return here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple