“Decent hotel ruined by noisy room and no sleep for two nights”

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham
Ranked #27 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel ruined by noisy room and no sleep for two nights”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I was recommended this hotel by a colleague - I will be staying in Dublin 3-4 days every month from now on so was pleased to get a recommendation. Everyone was very friendly and helpful - I had forgotten my phone charger and when I asked the receptionist where I might buy one she lent me hers for my stay which was much appreciated. BUT I have to support eslicks comments about the noisy room.
I too thought the constant loud hum was from the bathroom fan and waited for it to go off but on investigation (in my jamas at 0200!) I realised it was outside near a plant room which reverberated all through my room ALL NIGHT. As it was a vibration as well as noise, ear plugs/iPod on full blast did not mask it - sleeping with earphones in is NOT comfortable. I asked to be moved but was told there were no spare rooms - a party of American tourists 'it's Tuesday so it must be Dublin' had just checked in so me paying €120 a night excluding breakfast went to the bottom of the priority list. My second night was equally awful- I would have been better sleeping in my car! Not good if you're here on business

When I checked out I told the receptionist I'd like to stay on a regular basis if I could be assured of a quiet room but that was met with a non -committal shrug

However the food at dinner was good, the breakfast plentiful but with a total bill for €367 for 2 nights I expected a restful night's sleep.

Room Tip: avoid room 310!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SazzB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Having spent a wet and windy 4 days in Dublin in April, I have just had time to write a quick review.
We stayed in a double with our 18 month old.
Very nice room, spacious, clean, nice bathroom, as you would expect from a top 4* hotel.
Our room was cleaned daily and provided a great sanctuary from the cold outdoors.
Breakfast however was a bit of a let down, fairly standard cooked and cold, but really salty sausages and bacon and dry muffins/pastries.
The staff were helpful and efficient.
However what was really nice was that the hotel does an early bird set menu before 19:30, so 3 courses for 20 euros and bearing in mind that we found Dublin relatively expensive I thought this was a steal, especially as the food was very good. The bar food was also very good and a lot of people visited from outside the hotel to watch the football and have a drink and sample food.
The hotel itself is a 20-30 minute walk to the centre of Dublin and a 10 minute walk to the train station where you can catch a tram. The number 79 bus (I think) from O' Connell street stops right outside the hotel. The Gaol is opposite. The gym was ok, but very busy, however the spa pool was very nice although the staff were a bit pedantic (note this is not run by the hotel but by Bannatynes).
However I would recommend this hotel, a very nice 4* hotel, with efficient and helpful staff, a nice pool and walkable distance to Dublin centre, based on our experience we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I normally dont write reviews when travelling on business as I dont pay for the room but felt I had to add a note on this hotel. Arriving at 10.30pm check in was very quick, straight to the room. Instantly hit by a loud whiny noise from fan in the bathroom, waited 20 minutes and it kept going, seemed to be coming from the sort of plant room in between the two rooms, down to reception and the lady said she would move me to a quiet room. The new room was at the end of the hotel, though the fan was much quieter it there was still a little noise, problem was that this room the noise from outside was even worse, every time something big passed the room there was a massive whooshing noise, not a restful sleep at all, the hotel needs some better double glazing.

Breakfast was very good and plentiful, checkout quick and efficient, if you book this hotel and want a good night’s sleep make sure you take some ear plugs.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank eslick
Deirdre M, Director of Sales at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guest,
We were very disappointed to hear of your experience, and please be assured that based on the feedback we receive from guests this is not the norm. If you return to the hotel in the future please do contact me directly and I will be delighted to ensure that you are made comfortable.

I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and found checkout to be fast and efficient. I hope that we will see you again and have the opportunity to provide our high standard of service to you.
Becket, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is a lovely Hilton property.Room was clean, spacious and well appointed. internet service was flawless. The breakfast was a huge meal - anything you could want. Staff was pleasant and very helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel is perfect for sightseeing in Dublin, being located directly opposite Kilmainham Gaol & the stop for the "hop-on hop-off " bus. Don't forget to start with the gaol!
The hotel itself is fine, nothing special but clean & comfortable. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent & they pull a great pint of Guinness! Staff were friendly & efficient. Our room was standard for this class of hotel, reasonably sized with good bath & shower, again nothing special.
Dublin is perfect for being out-&-about, use the Luas (tram system) the buses & Dart (local train system) - all are cheap & convenient. Tickets for the sightseeing buses last for two days & cover everything you'd want to see....if you have the stamina!

Room Tip: Rooms are all reasonably good, very quiet & clean so I'd say only to try for one on a higher...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yankeelass
Dear Guest,
We are delighted to hear that you found our location so convenient. We are indeed perfectly situated across the road from Kilmainham Gaol Museum and adjacent to the beautiful 17th Century Royal Hospital Kilmainham, as well as being within walking distance of the Guinness Storehouse.

I have passed your kind comments regarding our restaurant on to the staff there. We hope that we will have the opportunity to see you visit us again in the future.
Reviewed 22 April 2012

From check in to check out our mid week expierence went far beyond our expectation. The room meet all our needs and provided a great view by night. The food was beautiful and catered to how I liked to eat plain and tasty all about taste. Last but for me most important the staff from breakfast to late night bar made me feel like I was important to them. A young man at the bar gave great entertainment an conversation for me and my friends every evening. Needless to say we booked to stay again this year hope I can write an equally good review but I'm confident I will.

• Stayed April 2012
Durham, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Kilmainham for two nights & will probably stay again when I next return. My room was what you'd expect from a good quality business hotel - the bed was very large & comfortable, the room quite a decent size, the bathroom fine - a shower over the bath, standard toiletries etc. Breakfast was very good - a selection of fruits, cold meats/cheese, breads and cooked breaksfast - I ate out, so can't comment on the restaurant.
The staff were very friendly, check in & out was prompt. The hotel was very clean and everything looked modern & new. The lifts need your room card to work (I wasn't sure whether to be reassured by this security measure, or wonder why they had installed it).
Overall, a very good business class hotel - nothing outstanding to make me say "WOW", but very professional.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business