“Great Hotel, right opposite the Kilmainham Gaol!”

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham
Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Frankfurt, Germany
“Great Hotel, right opposite the Kilmainham Gaol!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We like this hotel very much, very convenient as we wanted to visit the top attraction (Gaol) and my husband went jogging in the huge Phoenix Park only a few streets away. Very beautiful inner city park area....huge....even has free roaming deers to see. We took the bus to the city, it was very convenient for us only one street away from hotel. Our room was clean, modern and with lovely furniture, tea & coffee making facilities and everyday a free bottle of spring water for each of us! We also had a small fridge which was very good as we bought some Irish cheese from the supermarket, it was so delicious with crackers. We had a view to the street (front of hotel) so the first night (Saturday) was a bit noisy .....the Irish really love to yell their lungs out when they are drunk! The staff were friendly and helpful, we forgot our electrical adaptor, rang reception and they advised us we could purchase one at their machine on the 1st floor for €5....for us a very helpful solution. We walked to the Guiness Storehouse from the hotel and back again, we like walking....it takes about 20 minutes one way. The only thing we couldnt rave about at this hotel was the breakfast room itself, it needs refurbishing and some new furniture ....however the breakfast buffet was fantastic, everything the heart could desire, the "steel-cut oatmeal" was our favorite, couldnt get enough and tastes wonderful with the fruits of the forest compote on top......We also enjoyed a good Irish beer at the bar on our last night. A nice atmosphere and view to the Modern Art Museum old historic gate across the street. Check-out was done in a flash and a friendly taxi driver was waiting on the taxi stand right outside the hotel .....we would definitely stay here again. We also used the fitness room and spa downstairs which was free for hotel guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if yelling partying people disturb you when you sleep
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Bertram K

Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel so central. We are very fortunate to have the Hop on Hop off bus right on our doorstop with the Luas Tram and Dublin Bus just minutes walk.
Thank you for your lovely comments, I am thrilled our hotel, and especially the team here made you feel so welcome.
We would be delighted to welcome you both back to the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham.
Kind regards
Jennifer Dalton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was worried upon booking that this hotel would be too far from the town center, but that isn't the case. My boyfriend and I were able to get around no problem, and actually liked being slightly off the busy downtown streets. I unfortunately had an accident prior to our trip and needed a wheelchair to get around comfortably. The hotel couldn't have been more accommodating, lending me a wheelchair as needed. Will be recommending this Hilton to family and friends!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MoFish417
Thank you for kindly leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel both central and peaceful, we are in a unique location that can offer both to our guests. Thank you for your lovely feedback for the team and especially our accommodation colleagues. They were delighted with your comments. I do hope your injury has healed.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Hilton Dublin in the near future.
Kind regards
Jennifer Dalton
Gibraltar
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Through business I have stayed at the Hilton Kilmainham over the last 3 years. I pretty much know the hotel inside out. I haven't spent as much time over the last year but most things have stayed the same.

Location - Yes as others have said, the hotel is not central. Taxi to Temple Bar should cost in region of €10. From the hotel take the immediate right and after a 15 minute walk there is an Italian restaurant and a pub, the red lion. Both good places. I've never eat or drank at the pub and Italian restaurant over the road so can't comment. From the hotel and left, straight across the road you can walk 10 minutes to the main bus route into the centre. Also Dublin tour bus stops outside.

Rooms - From standard up to executive, all rooms are clean and comfortable. If you are lucky some of the park facing rooms with balcony are really nice. You are given a key to the outside balcony which can be nice on a sunny day. My one issue with the rooms is the AC. This can be temperamental and sometimes ineffective. This can be on a room basis but sometimes across many.

Food - The main restaurant is very good, the quality of the food is excellent. As with most places in Dublin, the prices can be expensive. The bar area also offers simple bar food, this has changed many times. Most recently the food was very good. I'd recommend the monkfish curry. Breakfast is good and there are a good range of things to choose from. You can order specific items if not available from self service i.e. Poached eggs.

Service - Reception staff are friendly and helpful. If you require anything, they are normally quick to cater for your needs. Bar staff and waiter staff are quick to see to you. Service can slow down when the bar is busy, which is expected.

Fitness suite - The hotel has a good gym as this also offers non resident membership. Peak times can be busy around 5-6pm. There are many treadmills, cross trainers and bikes for cardio. There are a few resistance machines as well as a free weights area. There are spin classes in the evening which are quite intense. There is also a pool which is more of a spa area but nice and relaxing.

Overall this is a very good hotel with comfortable rooms and good service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Carlw79

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoy your stays with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding the front desk team’s friendliness and knowledge, I will be sure to pass the feedback to the team.
Thank you for mentioning our close proximity to the hop on hop off bus, we really are very lucky to have it on our doorsteps. I am delighted to see you enjoyed all our amenities within the hotel including the restaurant and the LivingWell Health Club.
We would be delighted to welcome you both back to the hotel on your next visit to Dublin.
Kind regards Jennifer
Mijdrecht
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is by far not the best Hilton hotel I've stayed in.
It is relative far from town, the rooms are not very luxury, the bar and restaurant average, the price is not.
Wifi is not complementary, but can be asked for, depending upon the front desk person you'll get 12 hours free up to 5 days.
The beds are ok, the minibar empty. One of the days it took them to 5 PM before they made the room (after we complained).

I will take my business elsewhere next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have stayed at this Hilton several times before and enjoyed this stay also very much. We are traveling with our grandson and it is sometimes very hard to get a "family room" in Ireland, but not here. Great room, great view, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The wi-fi is easy to access and fast. It is a bit out of town, but the hop-on-hop-off tour bus stops right outside. Also Dublin city buses run nearby and the staff is great with information. We got the B&B rate and the breakfast is great. The staff is excellent and helpful. Children's hours in the pool are somewhat limited so check with the desk to avoid disappointment. Great place to stay and price was in line with the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Wetherby
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here several times on business, and have always found the hotel clean, welcoming and well located if you want to stay outside the city centre; it's only a 10 minute walk from the red line of the Luas light rail stop. I've always found the food to be really good.
The only reason for 4 stars was that the air conditioning in my room didn't seem to cool the room at all, but this is a minor point for an otherwise great hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed with my wife and 3-year-old

Kind and understanding staff, all was good. We stayed for three nights. Clean and safe for kids. If I go to Dublin again, I certainly stay here. My daughter enjoyed the stay as well.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family